main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx MJ Needs Your Help!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MJ_Keehan_Sundve, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

MJ_Keehan_Sundve Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    So, for my honors project in my History class, I have to make a 30 minute video about how fashion changed in the 20's and how it reflected what was happening in history.

What is the significance, you ask?? Well, I want to do several shots of like, a whoopee parlour, women voting for the first time, and just typical 20's scenes in general. If you would be interested in being extras, that would be greatly appreciated. The video will be filmed over several days, so if you can't make one, but can make another, that would be great. Thanks.

I haven't exactly decided on the days, but I'll post when I know.

2. Mobius

Mobius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    Neat. I'll help.

3. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

Nov 12, 2002
    Cool. It will be filmed in B/W and I will provide the female costumes, and some of the males.

PS... If anyone has connections and can let us film in like a club or somehting, let me know, please!

4. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    I'll help, but only if I can have a violin case with a Thompson inside.

5. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Not to brag or anything but if you need my help, I do hold an MA in history. So on that part I can help you.

6. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

Nov 12, 2002
    IA, your request has been granted.

MexChewie, thanks. I'll PM you wiht questions.

7. Jedi_Wendy

Jedi_Wendy Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2003
    Okay, I need to bump this thread...
    I have to have this done by May...

Anyone have an idea for a club or something to use for the speakeasy? Or anything of the sort, that is related to the 20's

So far we have Christian (with a Tommy gun in a violin case) and Moe.

*bats eyelashes*
    Volunteers? Ideas?

8. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Find a Jazz club. Some have a tendency of using a minimum of "modern" gadgets.

9. Zam_Holly

Zam_Holly Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    mj i will help. i will ask my history teacher for some idas for you if you what me to.

10. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    *raises hand*

I can be an extra. :) Just let me know when you're planning to film. :)

11. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

Nov 12, 2002
    Great! Thanks! I'm going to look into using Shalimar CC, but I'll let you know.

12. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    Hmmm, if I had a beard I'd like to be a beatnik...
    Or maybe I could be one of those guys that the United States was hurting back then.. I think it was the united states trying to rid the country of the Irish... Prohibition if I remember correctly.
    OHHHHH, I WANT TO BE A SHADY IRISH CHICAGO COP!

13. Master_R0nin

Master_R0nin Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    ooo, OOO!! *Starving actor raises his hand!!

14. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    The 1920s was a time of great prosperity and growth for the United States. Following the devestation of WW1, it was the US that was left relatively unscathed. Europe suffered most from the war as it lost upwards of 20% of its population and suffered countless devistation on its geography. Due to this, the increase in immigration, the maturation of its industry and the assimilation of the first wave of European immigrants in the late 19thc, the U.S. emerged as a World leader. Woodrow Wilson helped to bolster this image by attempting to form the presursor to the United Nation, the League of Nations.
    Due in large part to this, the US enjoyed a time of great economic and political prosperity. As such, a new sense of personal freedom emerged. Movies became a larger part of the American culture. Jazz, previously only an African American music form, became popular in the mainstream. Baseball grew in this time period as well. Fashion also represented this freedom. Women no longer felt the need to wear dresses from the Victorian era, pre-WW1. Showing skin was no longer considered taboo. Exercise and losing weight started becoming terms in the American lexicon. Sex became a bit more freer compared to previous attitudes. Consumerism was becoming a part of American society.
    Essential a lot of the things that became American started in this time period.

Who needs a History Teacher when you have me. ;)

15. Jedi_Wendy

Jedi_Wendy Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2003
    This is true, MexChewie. I should just talk to you, instead of doing my *stupid* research.

16. MexChewie

Apr 19, 2002
    Well, the teacher in me says you Should do some research. Especially if your teacher needs references or a annotated bibliography.

BTW, I forgot the most important development of the '20s, the growing avaliabilty of the automobile. Although the invention of the auto assembly line occurred in the teens of the 20thc, in the 20s the auto became fully incorporated into the livestyle and the culture of the US.

17. MJ_Keehan_Sundve

Nov 12, 2002
    Yes, I know. I've done a ton of research already. I've divided the causes of the change in fashion into several sections

-Post-WW1, effect on Americans
    -Consumer Revolution (convenience provided more leisure time)
    -Right to vote (hello! total liberation!)
    -Women in the Workforce (self-explanatory)
    -Emergenge of "Movie Stars" (silent film icons)
    -Prohibition (rebellion, of sorts)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.