main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA mmmm Sword play :)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Quinten_JarVos, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    I was sitting here thinking that most of us own lighsabers and we all sit there thinking of ways how to use them against one another.

Well I've had an idea!

In my away from star wars life I am a heavy fighter in a medieval society or in easy terms ;) I go out every weekend and fight with swords / shields and maces.

What i was thinking.... is that with some time and effort we can get people trained up in using our swords.

the only problem I forsee is that when we start picking up the pace. We may need to wear armor under our clothing and have rules on where we can hit... anyway there is an idea.

Oh and it would be like side sword fighting in the SCA.

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    You know, we used to do this when there was a club, then the cops saw it. We were warned that we could be arrested and such for brandishing a weapon and for assault. So it was stopped. DJ did get his butt whooped by Mara and that was so worth seeing... :D

3. Nawara-Ven

Nawara-Ven Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    Don't the medieval societies have a 'license' or something to be able to do the swordplay stuff?
    I've seen those guys in action at the medieval fairs over the years, pretty good stuff. You do any of that Q-J?

4. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    I can be in Big trouble when I carry my sword outside of a posted authorised event.

The society I am under comes under the ASSOCIATIONS INCORPORATION ACT 1985.

Now as for practicing, it come under one of a few things. Are we recreating? are we performing for stage purposes? are we doing this as a sport?

That's where the legalities come down.... something I would probably need to investigate obviously.

5. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    Unfortunately when two people are going "hammer & tong" at it in a local parkland (in town, next to Adelaide High), cops take a dim view on it. However, in more private locations it wouldn't raise too much fuss.
    Who's up for an butt whooping.. 1 or 2 sabers ?

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Will watch thanks guys....I have enough scars on my body right now....

7. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    Count me out too, I saw DJ get his ass kicked and all the bruises he had on his hand....

I will stick to my blasters and Force pike thanks :)

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    I remember that so well,.......she was what? 8 inches shorter than him.....about 30 kilos less in weight and she kicked his butt so bad......

9. Brun-Farron

Brun-Farron Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    this sounds like a good way to lose an eye.....

....count me in

....but then again.....i would only like to do it if i was fully padded up....like Kendo

or are we talking a staged fight....like a dance, only beleivable...

....i dont dance, well.........well, at all

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Naw....these two weren't 'dancing'. She challenged, he accepted, and we all watched while they went at each other with broomsticks......not padding, no protection...nothing. Sadly I think his upbringing was against him.....his 'men don't hit ladies' belief was against him the whole way.....she just hit where she could and he was too afraid to return in kind..... :(

11. Brun-Farron

Sep 19, 2004
    so, just like dancing then....

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Not the way I dance......maybe the way you dance :p

13. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Now wheres the fun or realism if nobody gets hurt a little. Makes people try harder to protect themselves from someone wanting to inflict pain & bruising upon them.

14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    As I said evil I will be happy to sit back and watch you hurt others... ;)

15. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    You've obviously never been out behind the Adelaide Zoo on a Sunday afternoon at 2pm.

Thats when the Medieval Society has there practice and they go full speed full contact. Thing they have tho is protection, something YOU need to have when going at the speeds they are.

Also....

*grins* I know something about Mara that you guys dont....

She kicked his ass because she too fights in the Medieval society, thou she is a rapier fighter. (light weapon)

of course she won, she knows how to use a sword :p

I am still investigating the legalities but there seems to be a bit of leeway if we are doing it as a stage training. :p

Anyways.... hehe time to go practice, I made me a new sword and shield last night and it needs a beating in :)

16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Ok Quinten I'm officially scared of you! :p

17. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    ooohhhh. You're THAT Quinten. I've met you, at a particular sword practice near the Adelaide Zoo. You guys are scary!

18. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    How is Mara these days?

19. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Using a shield implies that you need defense. With a proper attack, they have no alternative but defense.
    Personally... not a big fan of shields.

20. Brun-Farron

Sep 19, 2004
    so if some-one does a sword fight....(i choose Quint and this 'Mara' everyone seems afraid of)........could some-one do the rotoscope on a video of it....and add sound.....?

i hear that a melbourne group are doing a fanfilm festival next year....

21. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    Shields are okay, depends on the weapon your facing. Obviously a Lightsabre will slice and dice any shield... but a steel sword when your one on one or one on many

Well lets just say I would welcome a shield anyday, I like living :)

As for fighting, well I suppose if we plan say a small fan film, screen test we can get some people together and have fun.

22. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Mara is a 5"5-6 & might weigh a whole 55 kilo.
    Not exactly someone who insipres fear......
    & besides, & very nice person, not a great deal of evil intent in her.

23. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    You don't need to be evil to inspire fear....

In the past three years i've been fighting i've come up against some lovely people. And i've learnt three things that I will take with me into death.

1. Women make better swordsmen, the things that us men love about women are actually what make them so leathal on the battlefield.

2. Size means nothing unless the taller person is using a mace

3. Never piss off a woman with a sword... you tend to regret it.

24. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    thats like saying you dont need to be quick to be a fast runner.... Maybe you dont, but its a hell of a head start!
    & the part about what we men love about women... I know what I love about them but its got NOTHING to do with any sort of fighting & if I go into detail AD will boot me off here permantly.
    .... Sounds tempting though....

25. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    ah, the ancient art of Indian tongue play. I know of what you speak, evil one. :)

Ancient chinese proverb say 'when woman brandishing sword, wise man run other way'. Does the number 28 mean anything to you? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.