main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mobile Phones - We all have one. But which one do YOU have?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Spike2002, May 11, 2009.

?

Mobile Phones - We all have one. But which one do YOU have?

Poll closed May 11, 2009.
  1. Apple (iPhone)

7.1%
  2. Blackberry

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. HTC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. LG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Motorola

3.6%
  6. Nokia

32.1%
  7. Samsung

21.4%
  8. Sony Ericsson

25.0%
  9. Other (Alcatel, Sagem, Skype phones etc)

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002

Just an idea to get a conversation going, and thought this would find us some common ground, since all of us should have a mobile phone*. Just would be interesting to know which brand/model you owned, and do you have brand loyalty to a certain brand, or do you chop and change all the time?

And if you don't own a mobile a) what rock have you been living under? and b), how do you cope without one? I know I've forgotten how to :p

Anyway, I'll start.

I currently own a Samsung g600. Had a D900 before that after being introduced to it at university, but I previously owned a couple of Nokias before that. I'm pretty happy with the Samsung brand; its easy to use, pretty stylish looking, and they're kicking ass in the smartphone/touchscreen market at the moment. I wouldn't go back to Nokias any time soon, evidenced by the fact that I'm now awaiting delivery of my pre-ordered new i8910 HD once it comes out in the next week or so.

Anyway, over to you guys. What phone do you have, and what do you like about it? :)

*Disclaimer: This has nothing (absolutely nothing) to do with me working in the mobile phones business. Nope, nothing whatsoever [face_whistling]

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Samsung of course ;)

3. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    While I compliment you on your taste in mobiles, hal, you should tell us more ;)

4. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    I chose Samsung as they are the sponsors of Chelsea.

5. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    [face_laugh] Guess I walked into that one, didn't I?

So do you actually own a Samsung? :p

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Yes I do, and voted appropriately.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Nokia 6300. Bought it because the online reviews all said it was easy to use. Also, my previous (ancient) phone was a Nokia and I'd had very few problems with it.

8. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Samsung D900i, works fine for me. I got it because it Samsung have a good reputation for reliability and it allowed me to choose MP3 ringtones which I like. My old phone couldn't do that, at least not without some overly complex procedure.

Can't understand the fuss about the iPhone and whatnot, if I want the internet I've got a PC or I'll get a laptop, if I want music I've got an MP3 player.
    A phone is a phone first and everything else second, these days they're becoming computers which happen to allow you to phone people.

9. Louis_Skywalker

Louis_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 12, 2008
    I have a Nokia N95. Its been a good phone for movies, photos and the internet but I really want to get an iphone now. About 3 months left on my contract so will have to wait until then. Not a bad thing as from the sounds of it apple should be releasing the iphone 3 according to macworld mag

10. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    Samsung E840

before that I owned a samsung D800 THEN D900

before that I had a nokia, but that was given to me. I've only ever seemed to have bought Samsung phones but that's because I usually prefer the interface and general aesthetic. It's slowly going a bit da-dah on me though ...

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Sony Ericsson W200i. I needed a new phone and didn't want to pay a lot for one. I could have gotten a cheaper phone but for a few pounds more I got one that plays mp3s and has a camera. It's quite a nice phone too.

12. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i would have loved to click at motorola and tell you all that i love my pebl (the old version) but it was stolen some time ago and i haven't been able to replace it. the sony ericsson i sport now is a far cry from pebl's sophistication and has everything reduced to a bare minimum.

13. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Motorola? Sophisticated? In the same sentence? :p

14. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Samsung E370

Nice size, although it looks like a small brick compared to all the dead thin touch screen phones that are about now. I like the fact its also quite robust (which is a good thing because I'm always dropping my phone :oops: ) Nothing overly fancy but enough features on it to keep me entertained. games, camera etc

15. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
  16. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    well, good sir, i don't need any of that touch screen and internet business. i need a phone that makes calls and sends texts and pebl did that with elegance. i borrowed a windows based thing after it was stolen, which was dreadfully difficult and then a nokia which lacked nothing much but wasn't any fun either.

so yes, motorola looks good and don't do nothing wrong (in my eyes). design is important, you see, not amazing power.

17. Stormtrooper_fan

Stormtrooper_fan Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2003
    Motorola E550... haven't put credit on it for 3 years until Pat was in hospital recently and I needed to. If it wasn't for the business aspect I would bin it and never buy another one.

I really hate mobile phones, you're never really unreachable and I like being unreachable!

18. Darth_Paddy_666

Darth_Paddy_666 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2006
    I have a Samsung A300e

I used to have a Phillips 'brick' phone pay as you go that I put £10 top up on every 12 months, when that died I had to get a new phone so I found the cheapest 'flip' phone I could because I wanted one that fit my head better than the old 'brick' did. It's still a bit of a 'brick' though and I still only put £10 on every 12 months IF I haven't used up the last £10 and recently because I was in Hospital I needed to use it more so I got Stormtrooper_fan to top it up for me.

[PERSONAL VIEW]A mobile phone is a pain in the derrière and I would never have one if it wasn't for the need for people to get in touch with me once in a blue moon, I absolutely detest these new MP3 playing Camera Phones, when I want to take a picture I use a camera, when I want to listen to MP3's I use an MP3 player and when I want to use a phone I do![/PERSONAL VIEW]

I still like the 'brick' appeal of my phone as I can use it in self defence in an emergency [face_not_talking]

19. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Lot of people with Samsungs here. I compliment you all on your taste ;)

My new phone arrived today. I'm already in love with it, lol :p

20. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    Mines called a 'Fly' whatever the hell that is.

I only brought it because it was the only one I could afford.[face_frustrated]

21. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Nokia 6310, because I'm old school :p

22. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Up until last week I had a Sony now I have one of the touchscreen LG ones'

It's quite good, better than the Sony. It can do all sorts of fantastic stuff and I still only make calls and text on it.

23. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    MOTOROLA RAZR V3 Sleek good looking phone nice and simple I can call people on it and also I can flip it open like a communicator from Star Trek, that?s good enough for me.

24. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    NOKIA 5800 with STAR WARS ringtones of course.

25. edgejedi

edgejedi Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2004
    Ive got a Sony Ericsson W705 coming to me tomorrow.....Im not so sre I made the right decision to get it as a bonifide Nokia man.....my only other thought is to sell it and get the Samsung Tacco Lite....? There werent/arent seemingly any decent new Nokias (I still have the 6500 slide which I actually still love)

Thoughts peeps?

(and yes Spike - I got it from orange - does that score me points?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.