main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The OFFICIAL Earthquake Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jose-Mourinho, Apr 6, 2010.

1. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    In DC here. This was my first earthquake and I didn't panic :p It was pretty scary though, my kids ran out of the classroom screaming lol. It took me 3 hours to get home [face_plain]

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Supposedly a few people in Charlotte felt it. I was at work, never knew it happened.

3. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Looting in Virginia: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/US/08/23/virginia.quake/t1main.quake.evacuation.cnn.jpg

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I didn't feel anything at all but my parents and some friends did. No damage, just a worked up dog (and fish for some reason :confused:).

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That may be the best reference ever.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    This is pathetic for the nation's capital. Should move the government to San Francisco.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just felt an aftershock. Very limp, but discernable, rumble.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I may have felt either a train go by or an aftershock, like less than 5 minutes ago. Didn't hear a train though...

10. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i love this. some swearing in it, though.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just saw on CNN that the Washington Monument will be closed indefinitely due to cracks. There's a few damage pics if you hit the link.

And Fox News just said there have been some aftershocks felt in NYC.

12. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I know it was a "small" earthquake and all that, but I am concerned about the monuments and museums in the area. I hope that nothing will be irreparably damaged and it doesn't cause problems for the care of the museum collections.

:-B

13. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    [image=http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6/quake.jpg]

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Woot! A 4.2 just hit 10 miles from me. About time, it's been a while now. SoCal's been quiet.

15. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Felt it right here in Porter Ranch (I'm at work right now). Because we're so close to the epicenter (near Newhall) it felt a hell of a lot stronger than a 4.2. :p Regardless, I finally felt my 1st quake of the year! It had been over a year (June of 2010) since my last one.

16. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Pfft, we've had three over M4 this week. :p

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, it's up to a 4.3
    And I feel like I'm missing out, I've not felt any of the aftershocks. There's been at least 6, ranging from 1.5's that don't count to 3.0, which means I think the other side of my city is feeling some of those, too.

18. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Difference is, we're enjoying it

19. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    You're a weird lot. I don't think I've ever been in an earthquake I've enjoyed, even the little ones I experienced years ago.

20. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    Well, we probably don't have to reset the days since an earthquake headline clock.

Its at 10 days.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That certainly is true. As I was explaining to another user yesterday, I always get an adrenaline rush during an actual quake. The shaking sets something off in my mind that gets me excited/hyper........it's been like that my entire life. I was grinning like a kid in a candy store for about 10 minutes after today's quake. :p

22. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, I think Tunick, like me, is an LA native, so we've both grown up with having earthquakes 1 or more times a year.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Only Northridge and Landers frightened me. The rest were laughable or annoying. I don't see how an earthquake can be enjoyable, though. I certainly wouldn't mind never experiencing one again.

24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    In the past year we've had:

1 over M7
    2 over M6
    26 over M5
    ~8500 less than M5

Actually it's only 2 days till the first anniversary of this madness, and it doesn't show any signs of stopping any time soon.

25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Yup........was born in Montebello (close enough to the city), and have been living here in the Valley since 1991 (I was born in '86). My memories of quakes only go as far back to 1994 (slept through the main event during the Northridge quake-this despite my hold home being less than 5 miles away from the epicenter-, though. Nothing wakes me up when I'm really, really tired. :p ). Even at that time, though obviously concerned & worried about the recovery would go (minor damage in my old home/neighborhood), I don't remember being deathly frightened/scared...........that attitude & frame of mind having stuck with me since then. Of course since 1994, there's always 1-3 quakes a year between 3.5-5.0 that I've felt, so that's 17+ years now of quakes............a year without one would be rather odd. :p Obviously I'm aware of potential catastrophe when shaking occurs (if it feels big enough, and if it does, you never know if this one will be The Big One), a lot of my "enthusiasm" should be taken with a slight grain of salt. That being said, I do have a sense of humor about these things (and love of disaster movies, no matter how horrible they are)/a great interest in earthquakes (a Christmas gift my parents once got for me in the mid-90's: An ABC produced documentary on quakes worldwide) that I certainly understand can be odd to figure out.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]