main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The OFFICIAL Earthquake Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jose-Mourinho, Apr 6, 2010.

1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    This is getting worse. Aftershocks have caused my brother's house to crack up, he's now coming to stay here for a few days. :(

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully it's just plasterboard etc and nothing structural. :(

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That is an amazing photo Sam. Sorry to hear that things haven't yet quieted.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Ouch. :( I hope there isn't much damage to the house.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

5. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's pretty major. There's 2-3mm splits in the bricks either side of the house as if one side was sinking, plus a few cracks inside. We're just in the process of moving everything out, as it doesn't look like he'll be going back there at all.

But it's only a rental, at least it's not a major headache.

We had a major aftershock this morning, quite close to the city this time. It cut the power again and caused a few more things to fall over.

What a week from hell this is turning out to be. :_|

6. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    zac that sucks, I'm really sorry to hear about that :\

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    :( *HUGS* Hang in there. Heck, just shoot them back over to us on the other side of the plate. We'll take them so you guys don't have to.

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Thanks guys. [:D] The earth's been fairly quiet this afternoon. A few people from my brother's job helped out by providing trucks and manpower, so the "evacuation" went fairly quickly. He seems to be all right but I'm sure he's pretty down at the moment. We'll get through this, as we say, "she'll be right!".

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's disheartening to hear about those developments, Sam. I hope your brother is able to find a new rental soon, and that nothing happens to your home. As to what Miana said, I agree. Some of the quakes would be better suited out here in Southern California.:p

10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I always feel super guilty when big earthquakes strike here and cause like no damage but then go hit other places and cause a big mess of things. :(

And I'm glad it's just a rental and not like the house your grandpa built or something super sentimental. Though I feel bad for the landlord.

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Nobody died (except maybe 1 guy of a heart attack), so all in all it could have been a lot worse. Buildings and possessions can be replaced for the most part.

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That sucks about your brother's place, zac. At least he's OK and he doesn't have to foot the repair bill.

13. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Almost a week now and 400 aftershocks later, things are starting to calm down a bit. I actually slept through a couple of big shakes this morning so my body's clearly over it. :p

My brother's still with me, it's taking a while to get property inspectors as you can imagine with thousands of homes damaged.

Our new council office building that I just moved into is going to take six weeks to be fully repaired and safe, so we're all being distributed across the city. Hopefully I'll get to work from home. I-)

14. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    The city is safe, we're still here apparently. The mayor says so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X8sh7puwZw

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    10 days later and I haven't felt an aftershock all day! [face_dancing]

We're still getting them according to this, but I haven't noticed any for a while. It must be about 500 so far, with about 150-200 big enough to rock the house.

So long I say.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Aftershocks/quakes can be as tiny as 2.0 or below...............you won't be feeling those. :p

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, well usually we get about 15,000 quakes a year, but I don't think I've ever felt more than 2 or 3 a year. That was before last week of course. :p

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    **** me. Just had four really snappy aftershocks which caused the house to almost leap of its foundation. Really? Three weeks later? Not fun. [face_plain]

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Ouch...

Is your brother still staying with you or has he found a new place to live?

20. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    His house was assessed and it wasn't major structural damage, so he's moved back in.

The ones we had tonight weren't unusually big, but apparently epicentres were only just down the road, probably the closest ones I've felt...

21. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Is it normal for the after shocks to last this long?

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah.. so they keep telling us. They can last for weeks and months. They have been getting far less frequent and before tonight it was pretty much back to normal. Then WHAM WHAM WHAM. Back to jumping at every little noise. :(

23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    We had aftershocks for a few months after our series of ones we had in spring.

24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That sucks. Aftershocks indeed go on quite a while, but it sounds like you're feeling these way more than one normally would because the epicenters are so close. Man that sucks.

-sj loves kevin spacey

25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah they actually feel more terrifying than the main earthquake. That was a slow swaying, but these close aftershocks literally make the house bounce up and down. You almost feel like your teeth are about to smash against each other. It's not nice, hardly got any sleep last night. :(