main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD [MOD NOTE] Concerning the "No real people" rule and Watchmen...

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    After seeing Watchmen, a question was raised about what happens when a fandom includes real people and we have a "no real people" rule.

In Watchmen, which is an AU universe, President Nixon is a character. By our rule, you can't write anything about him. But, he's a key character.

So the discussion concluded with us having this new idea for situations like this:

If the fandom itself includes a real person, then the rule will be bent for this exception. HOWEVER, this is ONLY in an instance where that person makes a regular appearance in the original material. We're counting on you guys to not abuse this rule.

Thank you!

2. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    How far removed from reality does the fandom have to be? If I write about a game show (e.g., I have a Dalek on Kids Say the Darndest Things or Broots on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire*), can I depict its real host? Or does it have to be a fictionalized version of the real person?

*Yes, I've done both of those.

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    No using the real hosts.

4. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    So just the fictionalized ones. Well, it opens up a few more fandoms for me. Oooh, maybe I could try some Avenue Q fic. [face_thinking]

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Would this rule apply to comics where in say Marvel, they've included real people such as Presidents Bush and Obama, Oprah Winfrey, the pope, famous athletes and movie stars etc.

And in some cases, these characters do recur often enough that it matters to the story. The president would be one example given his appearance in a spider-man comic and his dealings with Norman Osborn and Nick Fury. By my count, he's had 3 or 4 appearances in Marvel Comics. President Bush was also used along with VP Dick Cheney in the Ultimate X-Men and other marvel issues in the past 8 years on a fairly recurring basis.

I guess my question is: Can we use these more recent people in roles where they basically would appear so long as nothing bad happens to them (another words they can't be killed or injured) or do we stay away from these more recent people and just use fictional characters or deceased presidents like Nixon?

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    This rule is really only for instances were said real character is a reoccurring character, not if they've been mentioned once or twice.

7. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This could make for some sticky situations, but I think its a good rule change... it especially works well for fandoms where people play caricature of themselves, such as Neil Patrick Harris who plays Neil Patrick Harris in the Harold and Kumar movies.
    Not that I plan on writing any fic based on it, it's just nice to know I could! ;)

Avenue Q... here?? [face_laugh] Good Luck!
    You just want to write Gary Coleman don't you?? :p

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Exactly. Harold and Kumar was one of the films I was thinking of as the rule exception, with both NPH and George W Bush in the 2nd one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.