main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[MOD] Please welcome our newest JCC moderators...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Raven, May 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Not logging in for two weeks is generally considered grounds for demotion.

2. Qwertyuiop

Qwertyuiop Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2004
    I suspect it was due to poor performance and neglection of "duties".

3. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    The reason she was demoted was due to inactivity of her account and no reason was supplied for an extended absence.

4. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Welcome back you two. :)

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Well, with J-M-T's demotion at least there's one less Dark Lord as a mod. That's always a plus.

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    If you eliminate everyone that isn't part of a particular group or clique, then yeah, slim pickins indeed ...

Just an FYI, for the sake of disclosure, the only spinoff board I really belong to is the SoBe Side. And thats just part-time, I lurk mostly. Post rarely.

If you're talking about my OT ties. Well, I've logged in 3 times since late last year, for a total of about 10-15 mins.

I'm also not in chat with OTers too often.

The only real contact I've had with OTers recently was when I went to Texas for a couple of days a month ago. We had a nice party (with a couple of DLs there, too). But that was a case of "Hey, I'm in Texas to relax after a week and a half of non-stop working and travelling, who do I know here that I can relax with?".

I have no real affiliation with the Dark Lords, BYS, Lightsiders, the DB, or any other spin-off board or clique.

I've punished people from all different cliques, I've argued with and against people from all different cliques.

So please, if you're going to throw those tired conspiracy theories around, check up on your info, please.

7. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I don't understand how a group affiliation is important if a mod does his/her job properly and fairly.

8. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    As I have said many times before, group affiliation has never played a factor in any of the promotion processes of that I have participated in.

Quite simply, we don't care what groups a candidate is a member of. We look at candidates as individuals, not as members of any group, clique, or other organization.

Kimball Kinnison

9. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I've punished people from all different cliques, I've argued with and against people from all different cliques.

Teehee, that sure is the truth.

10. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    The only real contact I've had with OTers recently was when I went to Texas for a couple of days a month ago. We had a nice party (with a couple of DLs there, too). But that was a case of "Hey, I'm in Texas to relax after a week and a half of non-stop working and travelling, who do I know here that I can relax with?".

Yeah, not because any of us are your friends or anything.

Jesus, Darren, it's one thing to say that you weren't promoted for your OT ties and that you don't really hang out with OTers as much as you used to...but it's entirely another to publicly disown people who thought they were your friends out of the blue.

11. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Dude, I have no idea what all those initials stand for or what those groups are that you rhymed off, I don't have time to keep up on the names of all the little cliques on a SW message board. However, it has been very apparent to myself and many other members (and former members) of the JC that there is some definate patronage going on in terms of the mod selection on the JCC. Many friends of mods, or friends of popular people who belong to different groups here, have been promoted to mods over many other deserving candiates who were better qualified and more experienced.

It has been happening since late 2002 and the quality of the JCC has gone dramatically down. The fun, care free, free spirited board that used to be many posters haven from the serious discussions going on in Lit and the PSA has become nothing but an e-drama filled hang out for teenage drama queens. It has gotten to the point that anyone wanting to talk about anything other than relationships or whatever immature topic someone came up with has to go to either the Senate or the Amphitheatre.

The JCC has become a hollow shell of it's former self, and I honestly don't think it will recover. Even if all of the current mods are demoted and qualified people are promoted, I don't think it'll ever go back to the way it was when guys like Chy, Vert, and PB were in charge. It's a real shame. I'm coming up on my 5th anniversary in a few months, but I'm not sure if I'll still be around by then.

You might agree with me, you might not. That's your right. This is just one oldbie's opinion.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I agree that it's somewhat less intellectual than it once was, but I believe it's the result of the site getting larger and the natural evolution of the JC. Depending on what you like, it can certainly be frustrating. However, I don't think any amount of moderation could have or can control what's discussed (except for disallowing certain subjects).

Many friends of mods, or friends of popular people who belong to different groups here, have been promoted to mods over many other deserving candiates who were better qualified and more experience

That gets into subjective qualities. Were the more deserving candidates in your mind closer to being like the moderators of the past you liked, or did they just have a different style?

13. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Many friends of mods, or friends of popular people who belong to different groups here, have been promoted to mods over many other deserving candiates who were better qualified and more experienced.

Well what do you expect from a virtual oligarchy?

14. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    It has gotten to the point that anyone wanting to talk about anything other than relationships or whatever immature topic someone came up with has to go to either the Senate or the Amphitheatre.

I think that's part of the inherent problem with forums that take those topics out of the JCC. I agree that I want the board to be fun and carefree, but do you think the the e-drama hangout stems from a different user base? I mean, I've seen it change in the time I've been here quite drastically.

Who is "qualified" to be a mod and who is not is quite subjective, I think. You can't really tell from a person's posting style whether or not they'd be an effective moderator. I don't think anyone who is promoted is necessarily more "experienced" just because they've been on the boards longer than someone else. But, everyone has their own opinion about who should mod and who shouldn't and that's their right to think so.

Derek, I'd welcome your input into what could be done to improve the JCC. Maybe it can't be totally overhauled, so to speak, but I think that we can try and help the JCC become a place that has a little something for everyone.

15. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I agree with you somewhat wild_karrde.It seems to me that the whole point of the JCC was to give people a break after talking about Star Wars all day.But,it seems like it's gotten to the point where some people visit only that forum,and rarely (if never) even venture into the Star Wars forums.Don't get me wrong,I'm not bashing anyone who likes the JCC,It's a good concept,but I just can't figure out why you'e want to join a Star Wars forum,and end up rarely talking about Star Wars.

Just my 2 cents anyway. :)

16. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I just can't figure out why you'e want to join a Star Wars forum,and end up rarely talking about Star Wars.

I'm one of those people who rarely visit the SW Forums. This is because:

a) There is only so much you can discuss before it gets old and repetitive.
    b) I don't want to be spoiled for EP3.
    c) Everyone seems to love bashing SW, and I get sick of seeing post after post of angry people putting down my favourite saga.

17. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    c) Everyone seems to love bashing SW, and I get sick of seeing post after post of angry people putting down my favourite saga.

I know what you mean. This seems more like a LOTR community these days than a SW one.

18. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002

That's true,I don't like SW bashing myself.But,it's seems like there's not nearly as much of it as there used to be.Could just be I havn't noticed it though. :)

19. Kavic_Toth

Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 9, 2002
    Now I know how Han felt in the Carbonite....

You're out of it for a little while, and everyone has delusions of grandeur. 8-}

Welcome back, Katya and Dagsy!

It's nice to see colors on my WUL again. [face_laugh]

20. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    can i hug and kiss them and give them flowers? ;) :p

21. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    As a total outsider to the JCC and one who doesn't post in there very much, I can tell you with complete honesty that no JCC mod EVER since March 2001 (when I became a mod) was ever promoted because of an on or off-board group affiliation. That is completely true. This never came up in any nomination or candidate discussion thread or anywhere in the Mod Squad. The only place it gets brought up is here. So please take that concern off your minds because it's simply untrue. :)

22. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I bet they talked about it in PMs or an EZboard where you weren't invited, just to let you say those things, because people believe you (or at least should) and still mod people just because the current mods like the threads and offshoot boards the candidates post in/ at.
    A-ha! I have you now....
    (sometimes we do need a rolleyes smiley)

23. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    The reason she was demoted was due to inactivity of her account and no reason was supplied for an extended absence.

This isn't the first time she's disappeared without notice. Does this mean she won't have a position for her when (if) she returns ?

24. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    After this morning, I myself am thinking of taking a leave of absence ...

25. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    This isn't the first time she's disappeared without notice. Does this mean she won't have a position for her when (if) she returns

That is correct. With Dagsy and Katya now moderating, the JCC is at 5 moderators.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.