main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod response to Private Messages.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by xie, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I brought up this issue in another thread, and Vertical told me I should bring it to a new thread.

Originally I posted this:

About mods that fail to reply to legitimate requests to re-open a thread?

Such a situation occured the other day. A thread was locked, I personally felt the locking was unfair, the mod read my PM, and obviously ignored it.

How can anything constructive be done when the mods won't even take three seconds to reply "No", or even *gasp* elaborate a bit.

For all I know, that mod agrees with me, and is discussing giving me millions of dollars, and showering me with gifts because of my efforts, but I will never know.

In actuality, this situation might occur under any number of circumstances. It's one thing if a mod is offline, and doesn't read the PM for 48 hours or so, it is another when the PM is read a few minutes later, and no response is recieved, ever.

Basically, what happened here, was that a thread was locked in JCC, that I felt shouldn't have been locked.

What I did was PM the mod who locked it, with my reasons for the thread's possible unlocking. The mod read the Private Message within thirty minutes (Sent: 10/14 9:54am Read: 10/14 10:23am), and failed to respond.

The thread was not re-opened, which obviously would have been a response. The thread remained lock, and I did not recieve even a reply as simple as "No".

Another way this could come up, is if a member has an important question. For example, I was unsure as to whethere a word could be said on the boards. I checked the users online list, found a mod (DarthSapient), and asked. I recieved a quick response, and my question was answered.

But what if it wasn't? If something is borderline, and a user sees that a mod has read a PM, and not responded, they might assume that it is OK to say such things, even if it really isn't.

Or they may never know, and wind up starting a semi-worthless thread in Communications.

So, umm, yeah.

EDIT: Declared a dead issue by the thread author.

2. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I agree with you. This is a legitamatre concern. I think mods should always try and answer pms even if it's a simple, yes/no or even "sorry I don't have time because of RL, IL, I'll get back to you".

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I agree that admins should reply to PMs. I know I do my best to, even if it's just a short reply saying that I'll get back to you.

4. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

You should always give a response to PMs as soon as possible. Even if it's just a "Thanks!" for pointing out a thread to close, it lets the user know that a) their PM was read; an b) it was appreciated.

Although to be fair, I know there have been times when I've read a PM, but couldn't respond right away because I've had to do something else.

5. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, well, it has been two days. I can see the mod being busy doing their job on the boards, as well as real life issues coming up, but there are very few situations where a simple Yes/No answer cannot be sent.

EDIT: This was to Spike, but it also applies to what Teh Gripp said.

6. Augustus-of-Rome

Augustus-of-Rome Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Like I said in the other thread, in which my post has seemingly disappeared (har har har!!!!!!!), in addition to my certain commenets, I mentioned that I agree with this. I think all mods should be required to respond to PM's that arent inflammatory, no matter what. Even if it is a one word answer. Say SOMETHING. Dont just flat out ignore them, its things like that that give the mods a bad image. Some of the mods deserve it of course, but lots dont. Most mods probably do respond to their PM's, but obviously at least one doesnt. That ought to be changed.

Example, a mod shouldnt have to respond to a PM by user "I-Hate-Mods" with a title of "I HATE YOU MOD I BUST A FART ON YOUR FACE!!" Thats spam and its a troll.

Any PM, from any non troll, that is not insulting, MUST be responded to. So speaks Augustus of Rome.

7. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

It's possible s/he read it, got sidetracked, and forgot about it. I know that's also happened to me a few times.

But this seems like something you should really ask the mod in question. Why not PM them? ;) :p

8. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Maybe the mod read your PM but then was detained by RL, and then forgot about it. When he/she went back to their pms it didn't show up on the first page because it wasn't new thus they didn't rememember it.

This brings up another point though. That is, pming a mod more than once about a problem. Will the mod get angry and feel their being harrased? Will they keep on ignoring you? I think in those cases it might be best to pm a Manager or an Admin.

9. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    It's possible s/he read it, got sidetracked, and forgot about it. I know that's also happened to me a few times.

True, but I didn't just PM the mod to say hi. I offered my opinion on a locked thread. And they have since posted many times.

But this seems like something you should really ask the mod in question. Why not PM them?

Vertical told me to bring this to a thread, as it is a legitimate issue.

Edit: Worst.Markup.Ever.

Edit²:

Maybe the mod read your PM but then was detained by RL, and then forgot about it. When he/she went back to their pms it didn't show up on the first page because it wasn't new thus they didn't rememember it.

They posted several times, and they were online for a legitimate amount of time after this.

10. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Just because they've posted doesn't mean they didn't forget to respond. I think a reminder would be good.

11. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Well, at that point I just wanted to see if I would get a reply, and I too was sidetracked.

And I should add that this is an Admin. Where else is a user to turn?

12. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Oh, ok. I see what you mean.

Well, in that case I think it might be a good idea to pm someone higher up (after giving the mod a reasonable amount of time to respond which I think you said you did).

Also, alot of times it's better to IM a mod if they have it listed in their prof than PM them. I've done this a few times. This is not in reference to your specific problem but just a general statement.

EDIT:

And I should add that this is an Admin. Where else is a user to turn?

I guess another Admin. :p OR...I may be wrong about this but I thought there are one or two head admins above the others that are availible to be pmed if an admin doesn't respond.

13. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Well, in that case I think it might be a good idea to pm someone higher up (after giving the mod a reasonable amount of time to respond).

Is there someone higher up than an Administrator? Should I PM Zerosleep and ask him to code me a response? :p :p

14. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    Don't assume you are being ignored. As everyone has said, it is quite possible the mod had to run to take care of something. Or he/she read it, but forgot to reply back right away.

I always try to reply to my PM's, whatever he subject. But I have been known to forget a couple, especially if I have many PM's in the inbox.

Just re-send the exact same PM again to be sure there wasn't a simple mistake. :)

15. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Xie, see edit. Do we still have Head Admins though?

16. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Don't assume you are being ignored. As everyone has said, it is quite possible the mod had to run to take care of something. Or he/she read it, but forgot to reply back right away.

This is true, and I'll concede you that point. But the PM was sent within two minutes of the intial locking, and read within thirty minutes of that. Then the mod posted three minutes later.

They totally forgot about a thread they had just locked, with comment (not one of those "Why did they lock it?" lockings), within three minutes, and then went about their business?

17. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Has anyone considered the possibility that the admin in question simply didn't want to argue over the locking of a type of thread that has always been locked in Community for as long as I've been here?

As I do, perhaps he believed the reason the thread was locked was clear and should be intuitive to all.

AYBABTU?

18. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    If you believe you are being purposely ignored, PM another moderator and address your concerns about the thread, your unanswered PM's and your questions. You will get an answer! Preferably a moderator associated with the forum with the thread in question.

19. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Has anyone considered the possibility that the admin in question simply didn't want to argue over the locking of a type of thread that has always been locked in Community for as long as I've been here?

As I do, perhaps he believed the reason the thread was locked was clear and should be intuitive to all.

You know what thread this refers to? [EDIT: I did post it in the other thread. Heh.]

And sure, if you're right, then so is he, but why not point that out?

And it isn't as though I demanded the thread unlocked, I said why I thought it should be unlocked. Why was my effort not reciprocated?

20. JediWarriorsSocks

JediWarriorsSocks Jedi Master star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    Bah, I spent 20 minutes sending a long PM to an administrator the other day...he read it within a minute of my sending it...and must've crumpled it up and thrown it in the waste basket ;)
    *sigh*
    Oh well, it probably wasn't important, it was just about banning me :p

21. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I've got a couple of mods on my AIM list. They have to reply to that. I think some mods blocked me though.

22. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    They have to respond to AIM? I've never seen such a rule.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm sure those mods really appreciate your AIM-stalking of them, Nails. :p :D

24. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I've got a couple of mods on my AIM list. They have to reply to that. I think some mods blocked me though.

They don't but its kind of hard to ignore someone constantly bantering you with messages.

25. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Personally, I think the Moderators / Managers / Administrators should try to reply to Private Messages.

When I sent them, you can tell when they check them. Next to "Time Sent" they have "Time Read". I have seen them read them, and not reply. The next day, I get a reply. Alot of the times, I haven't. But if its just alittle request or a question concerning them/the forum, they should send a response, even if you do put it off until you aren't buisy with something else.

I even try to, even though of course I am obviously not as important as them with questions, but I try to. I have layed them off for awhile. But, the thing is. No matter who you are, important or not, it usually is rude to just put out a private message, if it is a humble request/question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.