main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod response to Private Messages.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by xie, Oct 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I usually try to respond to most of the PMs I get. But sometimes things happen, i read one, and I get another one about someone trolling somewhere, or get caught in another conversation with someone that takes precendence and I forget about the other one.

If you don't get a response, just try sending it again. Even if you think they're ignoring you. At least you'll knwo. ;)

2. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think it's fair enough to PM the same admin again to find out his/her response to the matter. Common sense says that if your PM was legitimate, wanting a reply that never came isn't spamming. Just make sure that you don't end up sending the same PM 4 to 5 times. Think of it this way; if you feel that you wouldn't mind it, I think the admin in question would feel the same way.

And no, don't go PMing zerosleep ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    PM Stinrab, He likes it, says it makes him feel like a real man.

4. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    The heart of this issue is that when sent a question, you should always try to answer it, no matter how 'obvious' the answer may be. I mean, if someone PM's you and asks you, clearly they didn't think the answer was quite so obvious.

I can't address why this administrator didn't respond to the message, but it's entirely beside the point - we, as moderators, need to be sure that we make every effort to respond to questions sent our way. That's why we're here.

I don't see a problem with re-sending a PM if you see that it has been read but not responded to. In fact, I think that's a terrific idea. I know there have been times when I've had more than one browser window open, read a PM in one, surfed in the other, been called away, closed all browsers, only to come back to 0 new private messages, and not recall that I hadn't actually responded to someone. It's happened. More than once. I don't do it intentionally, ever. A second or third reminder PM would help in those cases. If you still don't receive a response, and you think the mod is ignoring you, PM another mod, or start a thread here in communications. Every legitimate question deserves an answer from the administration, even if it's a simple "sorry, don't agree with you."

Vertical

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    xie, I apologise for not responding to your PM. I was going to respond to it later, but as I had not gotten much sleep that day, I quickly forgot.

My belated response to that PM is that I locked the thread because I didn't feel it was appropriate to have a thread where everyone who has been banned can brag about how many times they have been banned. I found it to be counter-productive.

Now, JediWarriorsSocks, I have no apology to give to you. You cannot expect anyone, mod or otherwise, to go through and respond to a 7-paragraph PM about how unfair the "no parody" rule is to your endless number of socks. Nor can you expect anyone to change their mind about that when sent a borderline-harassing PM a few minutes later under a sock that is a parody of the recipient's username.

6. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    xie, I apologise for not responding to your PM. I was going to respond to it later, but as I had not gotten much sleep that day, I quickly forgot.

My belated response to that PM is that I locked the thread because I didn't feel it was appropriate to have a thread where everyone who has been banned can brag about how many times they have been banned. I found it to be counter-productive.

It's ok, I didn't want to rag on you, really! Without sleep, the brain does not function correctly.

I personally don't quite agree with your reasons for locking that thread, but they do make sense, and any further grievances should be taken to uh, PM, :p, not that I have any.

Unless anyone has something to add, IHMO, this issue is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.