main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update: 6/25 - 7/02

Discussion in 'Communications' started by AmazingB , Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Apologies for this being a day late. I'm unemployed and all the days tend to blend together, so I kind of forgot what day it was. And now, on with the opera.

We Can Leave?

jp-30 announced his intentions to take a two week leave of absence for rejuvenational purposes.

Rogue1-and-a-half is taking some time off for surgery. We wish him well.

Both their forums will be covered in their absences, so no funny business. We mean it!

HTML (or A Really Easy Way to Annoy Everyone)

Discussion of how and when and why to use HTML continued. HTML will only be used for official purposes, like prettying up these updates. Not this one though. It's too over my head.

Those Crazy Kids

Whether or not there is existing policy regarding e-dating minors was discussed. There is no specific policy, but the ever popular TOS can and will be invoked as necessary.

-----signature-----
    You poopyhead!

dp4m broached the subject of baiting, trolling, and spoiling in sigs, along with assorted hypothetical and not-so-hypothetical situations. Particularly of discussion was including Lit spoilers if someone posts exclusively outside of the Lit Forum. As always Common Sense is to be used. Stop laughing.

Bruce Banner - Ha ha! A Lame Play on Words

The JCC Banner Contest and RPF Banner Contest have concluded. Winners will be selected soon. Complaints may be lodged in the thread that is started immediately after the new banners are put up.

Errors

The ever-present errors seem to be everer-presenter. Reports of threads disappearing, new errors, and other goodness have come in. All "Signs of the Apocalypse" jokes are duly noted. KnightWriter and Gandolf the Grey are in the process of compiling a detailed list in the hopes that someone at IGN still cares.

Everyone Likes Games

A new JCC game was proposed, the JC Mystery Guest, in which a sock starts a thread and JC members guess the user's true identity. Ideally hilarity will ensue. Details and prizes are still being hammered out. Any similarites to recently started games are purely coincidental.

Discussion and planning is now underway for the second TPM forum Trivia Contest. Quixotic-Sith has promised intrigue, trivia, and bannings...

Problem Users...

...were discussed. Try and guess which ones. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.*

*Author's note: Don't actually guess.

Hitting the Big Time

Our very own Bacabachaui hit Star Wars Nerd pay dirt with a Gamescape article in the latest Star Wars Insider. Requests for him to sign my chest have gone ignored. :(

Amazing.

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Could you explain a bit more about the e datign thing.

I am not, for example sure qhat the discussion could have been about. Did someone ask if users were allowed to e date? Was there a qustion of if mods are allowed to e date regular members? Is this really just an attempt to use your colours to pick up chicks you sly batadges?

3. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    HTML (or A Really Easy Way to Annoy Everyone)

Discussion of how and when and why to use HTML continued. HTML will only be used for official purposes, like prettying up these updates. Not this one though. It's too over my head.

Is there anyway that Gandy can change the rules to where Regular users can use HTML's?

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    No, there is not (to our knowledge, at least). The ability was given without our asking, and only managers and administrators can use it.

5. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    That update was, well.........amazing.

On a more serious note, I find it intriguing and somewhat amusing over the whole e-dating and minors.

6. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    At this stage, does it look like the JCC Mystery Guest game will be a yet another game where colours and title are awarded to the winner? ?[face_plain]

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It is doubtful that colors will be awarded to the winner.

8. Ken_Palpatine

Ken_Palpatine Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    Regular Moderators can't do HTML? That's weird.

9. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Could you explain a bit more about the e datign thing.

Basically the discussion was whether or not there were any rules or policy regarding non-minors hooking up with minors via the JC. There is none and none was established, hence the Common Sense approach to things.

Amazing.

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Just as long as I can keep sexin' up Jobo.

*"great update!" comment withheld in deference to Comms rules

AYBABTU?

11. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Common sense, I hope in how members approach it, not how the mods moderate it.

Since of course you have no idea who these people really are.

Now if it were FF there might be more or better discussion, although in all liklihood still moot.

I'm still confused on exactly what someone thought the mods could do about this.

12. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    am i know a problem user?

just curious....

13. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    re: e-dating issue (aka pen pals)
    the ms has gone thoroughly insane if they are actually suggesting any desire to moderate people's lives.

LAME.

14. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    double post...

man i hate IGN

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    UCLA -- if you have to ask, you're probably not...

the ms has gone thoroughly insane if they are actually suggesting any desire to moderate people's lives.

No, but if someone says "I'm 18 and screwing a 16 year old girl!" we probably should take action. Whether or not action will be taken, I don't know -- but posting of committing a crime is against the TOS. I don't think we'd be any more obtrusive than that...

16. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Age of consent laws vary by state and country.

Or so I heard...

//shifty eyes

AYBABTU?

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    's true, AYBABTU... but we disavow Kentucky, Arkansas and West Virginia. ;)

18. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    "I'm 18 and screwing a 16 year old girl!"

Been there, done that.

You see, in the more liberal minded European Countries, this is perfectly legal and, indeed, is acceptable.

Now, if she was 12.....

UKS

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    <eyeroll.gif>

So when are you going to ban josh for letting under 13 year olds post here without their parents written permission?

Of course I could be wrong about that the link in the sign up is dead.

20. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    "I'm 18 and screwing a 16 year old girl!"

and how do you verify the truth and seriousness of such statements??

can of worms = open.

21. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

The age of consent in Hawaii is 14, without parental consent.

It's 16 in the UK.

AYBABTU?

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Gentlemen -- cool your engines.

We're talking about someone blatantly saying they're doing an illegal thing. Please don't use the one, singular example I said (NYS Law) as the be-all and end-all of cases.

And the UK doesn't count for much here, only in FF. ;)

And if we found out a <13 year old was posting here, then yes I'd say we do something about that too. COPPA and all...

EDIT: Speeeeeeeelinhg...

23. Porkins in a Speedo

May 6, 1999
    I DEMAND DP4M'S IMMEDIATE RESIGNATION.

24. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    And if we found out a <13 year old was posting here, then yes I'd say we do something about that too. COPPA and all...

Ahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhaha.... oh wait you think you're serious. o_O

25. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    A few questions

a) A new JCC game was proposed

Before we start on a new game, will colors/a title be awarded to the winner of the Beezel name game?

b) policy regarding e-dating minors was discussed

Chaz started this, didn't he?

c)cbjedi has not logged in since June 30th, meaning he has not read my PM on this urgent matter. A PM which KW told me to send instead of doing it the more efficient way I tried. Is there any chance that some photoshop wizard who knows the English language could repair the image in question without necessarily bothering cbjedi with trifling details about his game?

EDIT: I see that my thread about the unresolved problem above has been needlessly deleted. For a quick recap. NarundiJedi has a custom title currently displaying this image:
    [image=http://kimoptera.com/bb/2.jpg]
    We can all see that the word debauchery is grossly misspelled, can this be rectified?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.