main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad update covering January 27th through February 2nd.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jp-30, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Sicne you seem to think the MS is doing a great job at showing the flag, for the hell of it why don't you try and find the last mod post in The Flirt Thread .

Since it's one of the largest threads in the JCC surely the mods have kept tabs on it.

Before you ask I have no idea where the last mod post is.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Is it possible that the YJCC moderators read that thread to look for trouble, but are happy enough in their own social lives that they do not feel the need to actively flirt across the internet within it?

3. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Who said they had to flirt?

That's part of being a moderator isn't it? Going into threads you normally wouldn't?

Or do you only moderate the threads you enjoy?

I seriously doubt a mod has read the thread, but even if they ahd you were all for showing the flag remember?

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Who said they had to flirt?

That's part of being a moderator isn't it? Going into threads you normally wouldn't?

Or do you only moderate the threads you enjoy?

<sigh> If mods entered the flirt thread with the express purpose of making off-topic posts, saying, in effect;

"look at me, I'm a mod, and I'm in here watching over your shoulder"

do you think that would be appropriate behaviour?

That sounds to me all the world like thread-derailment, and "showing off" one's colours.

Get a grip, man!

5. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Get a grip?

This froma person whose arguement depends solely on the possibility that a mod might read a thread?

Why don't you just say the mods are teeps and will ban you if you think of crossing the line, you'd have about the same amount of proof.

And considering I coubt you even bothered to click on the link I'm sure you haven't realized that a mod could justifiably step in and tell them to try and keep from making 'hi' 'bye' posts at the very least. If they wanted to go further and make some sort of 'effort' they could, I don't know, go the extra step of saying hi how are ya if you see a problem round here give me a ring. I suppose if they really wanted to work up a sweat they could stop be weekly make a one post in the general area of whatever topic they were on now.

I doubt seriously the current JCC mods would argue they're above such pointless chat threads.

6. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > This froma person whose arguement depends solely on the possibility that a mod might read a thread?

Arguing against someone whose own depends on the possibility that a mod might not read a thread.

Irony = grand.

I'm tag-teaming out of this pointless exercise for the evening. Hopefully someone else will be along soon for you to play with.

Until tomorrow, Farrie. Sweet dreams.

7. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Just to reply to this rather earlier on in the thread:

If you could get mods to comment on it there, more power to you.

This whole discussion was originally brought up in the AC update a couple of weeks ago. The minute I first saw the discussion, I posted what for all intents should be the current rules on this that I can recall. After said post, there has been hardly any discussion at all in that thread here in Comms.

Since you asked why there was no discussion in Mod Squad regarding this issue, I'd like to give a counter question.

Would it be logical to assume that after a set of rules was outlined as the current ones was relayed in a public discussion of those, since there was no dissenting opinions from those previously involved in the discussion that these rules actually did cover what they were asking for, and thus negating the need to discuss rather than enforce?

8. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Just because a moderator doesn't post in a particular thread, don't assume they're not reading it. We have to read all threads. There are plenty of 3SA threads, for example, that I don't wish to participate in. But you better believe I know everything that's going on in there. It's called being responsible for the forum in which you moderate.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    So when Farraday was a mod, he posted in every single thread that existed in JCC? Damn, that is dedication.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    as far as the flirt thread is concerned, i guess the question should be directed to Liz, Erik or Bria, whether or not they keep track of it.

whether they post in it or not is irrelevant.

as far as flying the flag for mod participation... i agree. however participating should be as if they're a regular member, not continually re-inforcing the fact that they're present, just because they're a mod.

11. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Reinforcing the fact they're present would more than likely be seen as a moderator spamming.

12. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Moderating JCC is probably a different proposition to moderating any of the other forums.

Whilst they all have a definition, (whether that is intellectual like the Senate, physical like the EU forums), JCC falls into a rather inconvenient gap.

Which is why I see the usefulness of having both "Good Cops", (influential JCC posters with friends in a lot of threads, much like "older brothers", influencing through acts as well as attendance) and "Bad Cops". (The "Partypoopers" who come in an edit nasty things and act like Parents).

A combination of these two methodologies might alleviate the two most common complaints that the Moderators receive. That the JCC mods "are never seen around" and that "they do not understand the forum they moderate".

UKS

13. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    You people are going to have to stop calling Dp4m "DP." It just seems wrong somehow.

But typing four letters is far too much trouble!

14. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    IMO being a moderator means so much more than enforcing the rules.

When you have the colours it's so easy to lose sight of why you're here.

Maintaining a healthy relationship with members is way up there on the list of mod priorities as far as I'm concerned.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    AlphaWolf is exactly right. When you lose sight of this, you've failed.

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    It's odd how the mods find excuses so readily.

And no DDH, I didn't post in every single thread, however I never ignored the large ones.

Go ahead and ask them.

Do you know how much I care about proffessional wrestling? Zilch. Go ask w_K though if I was watching his thread and he can tell you without a doubt I was.

Instead of making excuses about how that would take too much time or it would be seen as mod spamming I went and did it and it worked.

Now we have three JCC mods and other mods coming in 'helping' and yet still not every thread is visited.

Tell me have any of you making your insinuations even bothered to look at the Flirt thread? Do you honestly believe that it's members, mostly newbies, could not use a little tightening in the area of spamming?

Thanks for your view on how right AW is Sape, now explain why doing what he says precludes doing what I say?

You mods for the most part think of the JCC as a place to go to post, not to moderate. It is the largest and most active board on here, and yet you still pretend it's being moderated 'mostly' by three people.

Why not admit what's obvious to everyone, that you're relying completely on censure to keep the local threads in line. You expect the older members to tell the younger members what to do and what not to do so you can get away with ignoring those threads.

Might the mods read them? That I must admit is entirely possible? Might the mods not read them? Much more probable from my view.

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    > Do you honestly believe that it's members, mostly newbies, could not use a little tightening in the area of spamming?

You have a problem with some of the posts in "Flirt Thread". Enough of a problem that it is the cornerstone your present beef with the administration.

So, can you please tell be the dates and times you PM'd the YJCC mods to ask them to take a look at that thread's direction?

Oh, that's right. It's not your job to take 2 minutes out of your day to PM the mods of any potential problems, you'd much rather bottle it all up to use in your weekly Mod-Squad anti-administration expeditions.

One wonders, then, what your motivation is? It looks like it's not some love of the YJCC at heart, but it's your compulsion to challenge the administration at every chance, regardless of the triviality of the issue.

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That's my concern for you, farraday. You challenge us, which is fine. But the more you do it at the creation of every thread or the creation of your own, the more users may start to tune you out. Surely, if the boards were functioning as poorly as you would have everyone believe, there would be no posting activity.

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    jp, refrain from posting until you know what you're talkign about. I realize the fact you rearely post in the JCC is abit of a handicap in a discussion like this but frankly you're atatcks on me personally are getting tiring. I realize your knee jerk reaction is to defend mods, but how about studying the facts first?

Spae thanks for your concerns about my reputation, however perhaps you could instead address my concerns about the JCC?

Surely, if the boards were functioning as poorly as you would have everyone believe, there would be no posting activity.

Surely the boards aren't perfect so why are sugegstions on how to make them better responded to with insults on my character?

I actualyl mdoerated the JCC which is more then I can say for some of the mods responding, so from where comes their expertise in all matters JCC that they can deride my views as a matter of course?

I brought up the Flirt thread because I noticed it recently. Could I have pmed a mod about it? Yes.

However doing so would onyl change that one thread, not how the JCC mods work. I'd rather change it permanently then make a continuing set of bandaids to fix mod oversights.

Is that irresponsible? The Flirt thread has devolved into the hi/bye posts that the majority of people and mdos once agreed constitute spamming. My question is why the mods haven't noticed, especially when there are rampant claims the JCC is well and truely covered.

20. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, farraday, your posts in Comms form a decent percentage of the activity in Comms. That tells me that perhaps things aren't that bad. But I've also come to realize that the best I can hope for when debating with you is to keep things under control. My personal feeling is that any answer, no matter who presents it, is never good enough. And if it is a good response, it only spawns a new argument. So understand I'm not always sure how to approach you.

21. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Thigns could be better, unlike you I'm nto willing to settle for 'not bad'.

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That's not my attitude at all. One always needs to continue to set the bar higher. But you must also understand that which you cannot change. There is a 'norm' to the JC. And we don't need to hammer down on every post and every thread. We'd kill the forums.

23. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    What you need to do is enforce the rules you make.

Sicne it was decided hi and bye posts are spam, why is no one pushing the people in the flirt thread in the proper direction, especially in light of the claim the JCC si well covered.

24. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, I don't moderate the JCC. But here's my opinion. If it is agreed to that the flirt thread itself is acceptable and allowed to remain, then I would concentrate on moderating the behavior within the thread. This preserves the thread and weeds out the behavior. Start by posting in there that 'hi' and 'bye' posts are spam and are not allowed. Place a comment in their admin notes. The next time is a warning and then a ban.

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Or if you actually gave a damn about the JCC you could post a notice in the thread and deal with it via PM for all but the most ardent of spammers.

However that would still not address the issue of why in this 'well covered' forum it's been going on with no mod noticing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.