main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for 11/05 -> 11/12...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, Nov 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    We going to keep spinning in circles here AmazingB or are you going to accept that Carter, being the representitive of the site staff and in control of the banner decisions at the time, had no input as a JC admin?

Why should I accept something that is blatantly untrue? Carter was hugely active in Comms to the point of locking threads and handing out warnings and bannings, and was even more active in the MS.

Ah yes....YodaJeff was involved.
    I'd understand the reason for your blind eye if you you were still a mod

Oh, how utterly droll of you! Good thing you put that smiley there! I might have thought you were serious! You might also note that you were involved, yet I still wouldn't have done anything.

We don't have floating mods now.
    They were all removed or given a forum to moderate.

Since when is Comms not a forum? Knight is the dedicated mod of Comms. This is his forum, as was the Senate. He has dropped one to focus more on the other.

And now that's changed because KW feels he should focus more on Communications.....which is what he should be doing anyway as the PR Admin position. There's no reason for him to drop the Senate to focus on Comms, it's like reducing the amount of work expected from the people at the top.

Because Comms is such an easy forum to moderate. Where's that rollseyes thing you're so fond of?

Amazing.

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "If you ask me, an administrator's first priority should be whatever their administrative duty is "

I agree.
    That doesn't mean that ordinary mod duties should be dropped though.

"I know that I'm not the only one who remembers your dramatically increased activity in Comms (locking threads, posting, handing out warnings, etc) one of the last times an admin spot became vacant."

I never wanted to be an admin, I just wanted leaders who knew their heads from their arses when a decision came their way. I was handing out those locks and bans and warnings because I don't mind losing face on an internet messageboard, I have no issues with looking like a bastard to people like you. You don't see me discuss people who do their jobs well, who make quality decisions with foresight and objectivity. So sorry boss, no dice there ;)

"He volunteered to help with the forum."

Yep, "volunteered".
    Call it what you like. [face_laugh]

"He has dropped one to focus more on the other.
    "

One is his mod forum, the other is his admin forum. Without being a mod you can't be an admin. As with the 3 other admins, if you don't mod a normal forum you don't have extra administrative duties. Unless you're KW, it seems.

"Because Comms is such an easy forum to moderate."

Sure it is, look at all the warnings and edits and bannings that have taken place in here already! And this is under Kadue's more restrictive Communications rules! Wow! The workload must be back breaking! [face_laugh]

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Ender:
    a) Too much time, not enough interests,
    b) A severe dislike of the administration due to a percieved abuse of power, or
    c) An axe to grind with specific moderators and issues.

You left off:
    d) Take issue with administrative decisions, and feels that he needs to speak out against what he believes are wrong calls. If they happen to occur on a weekly basis, then so be it.

Surely you wouldnt expect people that disagree with the administration, to just shut up or leave? Easy answer, but unless the person is really harping on about something that will never change, then that isnt really applicable.

Jeff
    If you ask me, an administrator's first priority should be whatever their administrative duty is (whether it's security, technical issues, etc). Their regular moderating should come second to that, time permitting.

Thats one way of looking at it. But I'd argue that removing the need to have their regular forum moderating, causes more 'Ivory Tower Syndrome'. Moving further away from the people, isolating yourself from those that you're supposed to be dealing with and understanding.

Also, "time permitting"....well, the admin position shouldnt be taken, if the mod doesnt have the time to dedicate to the overall position.

Every other mod has the power to help out with the regular moderating, but only the administrators have certain powers and responsibilities to keep everything else running smoothly.

Well, Tech admin would need his admin powers etc., Security too. Head Admin does, because he could be called on for any of the other admins duties, if needed.

But PR admin is the only position that doesnt really require an admin position. This forum could quite happily be run by a Manager or a group of Managers.

I know that I'm not the only one who remembers your dramatically increased activity in Comms (locking threads, posting, handing out warnings, etc) one of the last times an admin spot became vacant.

Dude was never going to be an admin. He knew it, everyone knew it. I dont think this is a jealousy issue.

4. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Tonight on FOX...

WHEN MODS ATTACK!!! [face_laugh]

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Congratulations KW, please promote me, I hate DA as much as you do

Please, they have no intention of making me a moderator, and I have no desire to me made one.

You left off:
    d) Take issue with administrative decisions, and feels that he needs to speak out against what he believes are wrong calls. If they happen to occur on a weekly basis, then so be it.

Surely you wouldnt expect people that disagree with the administration, to just shut up or leave? Easy answer, but unless the person is really harping on about something that will never change, then that isnt really applicable.

Dagsy, there's a difference between that, which implies contructive criticism, and what's happening. If the Admin was going to listen to DA then that would be different. As I see it, with each update there is contention that appears to be for the sake of being argumentative rather than constructive criticisms designed to change the Admin's policies and positions.

Noone's saying you can't disagree, and expect more accountability from the Administration. But there's a distinction between a difference of opinion, moderate dissent and recalcitrance. The Mod Squad updates are here, presumably, to inform the users of the Admin's decision. If any progress is going to be made, how is complaining about the most mundane little things going to achieve that? In all seriousness, how is the promotion of Knightwriter to Administrator for Comms a problem? How is it going to affect the posting habits of any of the registered users. How is it discriminating against anyone's liberties here? It's not; thus the criticism feels arbitrary.

You said "Easy answer, but unless the person is really harping on about something that will never change, then that isnt really applicable" regards to a person leaving the JCC; yet how much change is being affected by calling the Admin, specifically Knightwriter, up on the issue of promotion or making sniping comments against YodaJeff or AmazingB? Seriously, help me to understand, both of you, how this helps? Because when I read the ModSquad updates, I personally don't see DarthAttorney contributing positively; nor do I see his suggestions being accepted and at least considered.

E_S

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > I'd argue that removing the need to have their regular forum moderating, causes more 'Ivory Tower Syndrome'. Moving further away from the people, isolating yourself from those that you're supposed to be dealing with and understanding.

Dagsy, I'm at a loss to understand how KW moderating the Comms forum is in any way "isolating" him from the people he is supposed to be dealing with.

Personally dealing with all the problems, complaints and suggestions surely brings him closer to the feelings and wants of the JC?

:confused:

7. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Ender
    In all seriousness, how is the promotion of Knightwriter to Administrator for Comms a problem?
    how much change is being affected by calling the Admin, specifically Knightwriter, up on the issue of promotion or making sniping comments against YodaJeff or AmazingB?

Well, firstly, the issue isnt KWs promotion to Admin. Thats old news. Its the notion of an admin dropping their primary forum moderation duties, and only keeping their admin duties.

As for the issue os sniping...I've seen comments going both ways. All crap, and both sides should stop. But perhaps he wants the administration to get into gear and cut it all out (fairly and evenly of course)? I dont know, the snippy comments arent my forté.

jp:
    Dagsy, I'm at a loss to understand how KW moderating the Comms forum is in any way "isolating" him from the people he is supposed to be dealing with.

Personally dealing with all the problems, complaints and suggestions surely brings him closer to the feelings and wants of the JC?

Well, there is more to be seen about the JC than those that frequent Comms. It isnt all about complaints etc.

Moving away from having a primary forum, moves you away from the overall community. You lose your anchor, and can lose sight of the bigger picture.

Dont forget, we've had a Comms mod before, and lost him because of burnout. Because when this is the forum you give your main attention to, you'll just get bogged down in the bad issues.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because when this is the forum you give your main attention to, you'll just get bogged down in the bad issues.

That's actually a pretty good point...

E_S

9. DarthBane420

DarthBane420 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 13, 2003
    Ender,
    there's a difference between that, which implies contructive criticism, and what's happening. If the Admin was going to listen to DA then that would be different.

If this is the case IYO, why not let the people running this forum make that decision? Since I garner you are an intelligent man, as evidenced by your mastery of the various incarnations of the word there, I would guess you could see this dialog between DA and some of the staff has existed 3 pages now. If what you were saying was true, I trust the forum Mods would have ended the debate by now.
    Also, it's constructive not contructive. ;)

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    having your only forum be Communucations is different to being a dedicated Community mod, or CT mod, or whatever. comms isn't designed for users to raise issues with one admin, mod, or whoever. generally, that one admin doesn't have enough say or control over things.

take KW's recent possible fundamental changes in jc membership thread. sure, it's all fine and dandy to come up with ideas and he's "interacting" as the comms admin or whatever, but what was the result of that thread? nothing. because it was just one admins thoughts.

so is that what KW's role is now?

this forum should be represented by as many different mods and admins as possible. having one dedicated admin is futile.

the evolution of KW's mod career is a well worn one. you start off moderating in your chosen forum, you're dedicated, excited, interested, whatever. a year passes and you get over the mundane locking/editing roles and get more involved in "policy decisions" and whatnot. so you end up involved in the MS discussing ideas and issues, and not so much locking and editing.

so then you drop out of a forum, get someone new and energetic to take over, and you sit back with your power and credentials and merely talk about stuff to do with no actual forum.

which isn't allowed.

so i am also slightly confused, because being the admin of this forum seems to be an easy way out of actual moderation (this forum isn't exactly huge) while giving other mods and admins the impression they needn't worry so much about this forum because KW "takes care of it".

if KW is sick of locking and deleting, and more interested in discussing policy behind the scenes, he should resign.

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It sounds to me like someone is a little jealous that he didn't make the cut, and will do anything possible to make those who did get promoted look bad.

No offense Jeff, but it's always a good idea to have facts straight before quoting them as gospel. In this case, the persons in the top spot at the time made it known who actually had zero chance of getting the opening admin spots since the new structure came in, and funnily enough, two of them are posting in this thread.

Why should I accept something that is blatantly untrue? Carter was hugely active in Comms to the point of locking threads and handing out warnings and bannings, and was even more active in the MS.

And for that matter, why should I? Amazing, you're close to the mark, but still off the rails, which is okay since most of the things regarding Carter and other staff admins were not exactly in the full public eye, or even in MS's.

if KW is sick of locking and deleting, and more interested in discussing policy behind the scenes, he should resign.

People aren't going to like this, but epic is one of the few that know this better than anyone since he is one of the few that were given that choice. This isn't a job that requires a lot of hard work and experience to do. If you can't fulfil the small amount of duties available, then let others that can. The notion that there are only a few people that can do this job (as clearly given in the thread epic linked to) is frankly a bit of short-sightedness. It took about half an hour of searching to find two excellent candidates for Music moderator, where the vote came down to only about 3 votes difference (with a vast majority of the MS voting). It took only a little bit of searching to find 4 good candidates for Fan Art. Let me say again, Fan Art. It's not rocket science, and it's not an exclusive club. If you can't do the job, let others do so.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    so is that what KW's role is now?

My role is that of Communications moderator/administrator.

this forum should be represented by as many different mods and admins as possible. having one dedicated admin is futile.

There are many moderators who are represented here. However, primary moderating authority lies with me (as Communications administrator). That's the current setup, and has been since last November.

the evolution of KW's mod career is a well worn one. you start off moderating in your chosen forum, you're dedicated, excited, interested, whatever. a year passes and you get over the mundane locking/editing roles and get more involved in "policy decisions" and whatnot. so you end up involved in the MS discussing ideas and issues, and not so much locking and editing.

That's an interesting stereotype with some basis in truth. However, it doesn't really have much to do with my own time as a moderator. I've been involved in policy decisions since the beginning of my time as a moderator (both in the MS and Communications). My activity level as a moderator has also remained rather steady since my promotion. I currently have seven pages in the admin action log, which is about as many as I usually have (give or take a couple pages).

so then you drop out of a forum, get someone new and energetic to take over, and you sit back with your power and credentials and merely talk about stuff to do with no actual forum.

This has certainly happened in times past with some moderators. However, it's not really applicable in this case. KK was promoted in July to help with the Senate, and he and Red have handled the majority of Senate moderating in recent times. I found myself to be burned out on reading threads and moderating in the Senate (just in the Senate, not in general), and so I decided to step down.

However, I've still been quite active as a moderator, and my activity levels have shown no substantial drop (either in posting or in moderating).

Given that that's not true, I'll have to disagree.

13. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Maybe it's just me, but the last time I checked, Communications wasn't "behind the scenes".

14. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I wish you guys would make me a mod. Then I could quit and become a bitter ex-mod. They seem to be the ones that get all the attention.

AYBABTU?

15. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
  16. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    They seem to be the ones that get all the attention.

Nope, just a couple of lucky ones. The rest of us bitter people get absorbed into the woodwork. [face_plain]

17. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Old Mods never die, they just keep pretending they are a Mod (in comms, at least. ;) )

18. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    [rolleyes.gif here]

For the love of all that is flannel!! Why doesn't dp4m just change the name of this thread to "Let's have a Knightwriter roasting party"?

Some of you need to get some hobbies or at least up your fiber intake.

[leaves disgusted]

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    AYBABTU? : [face_laugh]

Otherwise, I second that motion. Get more fibre, ya nay-sayers!

E_S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.