main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for 5/21 -> 5/28

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Mod Squad Update for 5/21 - 5/28

Since this update encompasses the 26th Anniversary of Star Wars*, I figure I'll toss in quotes from everyone's favorite science-fiction series with the update!

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!"
    • ChrisHanel has taken a more active role in moderating, helping out in FanFilms and whatnot, and has been granted the title of "Moderator by Osmosis." Since he also handles the TF.n Humor Section, he'll attempt to wedge the stick, currently blocking the Mod Squad sense of humor, out of position.

• dp4m arrived back from Vegas. It was 105 degrees and sunny the entire time. He STILL has pasty, white skin and no tan or burn of any sort. Do the math.

"Eight weeks, sir. But ya dinna have eight weeks so I'll do it for ya in two."
    • KnightWriter sent out messages to people apologizing for the further, continuing saga of the "Private message debacles."

• Furthermore, let us now mock KnightWriter for using Notepad and not Textpad (shameless plug).

"By the book! Regulation Forty-six-A: 'If transmissions are being monitored during battle...'"
    • Dark_Lord_Erik would like to remind everyone: "Any messages coming from support@microsoft.com most likely contains a virus. Don't open the attachment. It probably contains the 'Palyh' worm."

• dp4m would like to remind everyone "Any non-Microsoft operating systems, like Linux or MacOS, are likely virii. Just stick with Windows XP and all will be well!" In other news, TF.n has accepted a $12 gazillion buyout payment from Bill Gates.

"About those colorful metaphors we discussed. I don't think you should try to use them."
    • Work continues towards a new global JC banner. For those of you who did not enjoy the St. Patrick's Day color scheme... I'd prepare to hibernate for the Summer.

• Amidala_Skywalker currently is wrapping up the "Fan Fiction Banner Contest." Expect results to be announced sometime this week!

• YodaJeff reports that the "AOTC Banner Contest" is over. A decision should be announced next week-ish and sub rosa "bling-bling" will be accepted until that time.

"You have never experienced Shakespeare until you have read him in the original Klingon."
    • As a friendly reminder to all users, off-site links -- whether in posts or profiles or signatures -- are under the heading "caveat emptor." If you link off-site, you are responsible for the link (image or website) regardless of original content if something changes on the other end after you link there. Also, as previously discussed in Communications, you should not be linking to pictures that you do not have permission to link to -- it is a waste of another user's bandwidth.

"Please, Jim. Not in front of the Klingons."
    • The regular problem users were discussed.

• Some irregular problem users were discussed.

• Jon_Snow was determined to be the second shooter from the grassy knoll.

"It would be impossible to discuss the subject without a common frame of reference."

The requisite attempt at Mod Squad humor trying to fit the theme of the rest of the update...
    In the middle of the earth in the land of the Shire
    lives a brave little hobbit whom we all admire.
    With his long wooden pipe,
    fuzzy, woolly toes,
    he lives in a hobbit-hole and everybody knows him

Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
    He's only three feet tall
    Bilbo! Bilbo! Bilbo Baggins
    The bravest little hobbit of them all

Now hobbits are a peace-lovin' folks you know
    They don't like to hurry and they take things slow
    They don't like to travel away from home
    They just want to eat and be left alone
    But one day Bilbo was asked to go
    on a big adventure to the caves below,
    to help some dwarves get back their gold
    that w

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So the layout will be saint patrick day like? My eyes thank you.

3. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    1) 'dinnae' has an 'e' at the end
    2) do you have permission to post the pic that you did ;)
    3) why do the MS Updates never get more than a page of replies these days ?[face_plain]

4. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Are problem users watched more often than normal members, or are all members treated the same? :confused:

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    2) do you have permission to post the pic that you did

This is actually a good point. I wasn't the one who linked in the pic, but I'll be sure to find out. We should definitely be practicing what we preach.

EDIT:Are problem users watched more often than normal members, or are all members treated the same?

Certain users are conditionally allowed back after long bannings on the JC with the understanding of a "short leash." Obviously, such details of which users this is and what exact deals have been struck are private. Other than that, all users should be governed by the exact same rules as everyone else on the site, JC Staff included.

6. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Jon_Snow was determined to be the second shooter from the grassy knoll

Huh?

7. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    the layout will be saint patrick day like? My eyes thank you.

Hopefully it will be a toned down green. Otherwise I may have to buy a pair of sunglasses to continue my JC addiction.

8. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Green huh?

I guess I'm sticking to the FF forums this summer. [face_plain]

9. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Why the hell must you do this? I'm really getting tired of this. And don't give me this "THEN DON'T COME HERE OMG" crap, please. (and anyone who makes a joke post about it, even with a ;) or :p or :) is just spamming)

The opinion of the St Patrick's banner was that it was GOOD, chinsy but good, but that the color scheme was VERY harsh, and was pretty much unanimously "Mehed" at. SO what do we do? Make the main JC banner similar!

While I think of it, a preemptive die to anyone who calls me a drama monkey. As a graphic artist and webdesigner myself, I understand how some things may LOOK nice, but may not be aesthetically pleasing to your audience of ~20,000 active members.

A lot of people said a contest would be a good idea, and this banner was already started, and the decision made, and that's fine, but when there was a large relief when the boards dropped the dark green colors, why go back to them?

Do we not learn from our mistakes? Well a lot has shown that things here don't change, but I would hope that something this large would be thought about before implemented.

Expect another large outcry (and NO this isn't a threat or any garbage like that, it's just a predicion) over the scheme, as we have had in the past (besides this one, which was pretty much dubbed "cool" by everyone. Thanks LMM) with JCC and TPM and the colors for St. Paddy's day.

You can't please everybody, but why can't we go with something that ALL COMPUTERS can display. Dark colors (Green, Red, Navy) do NOT show up well on older monitors, and I'll take pictures of the screens at work if you want proof, and people are complaining about bright shock colors, which I hear are on the banner as well.

Oh by the way, that picture of Luke in the banner is horrendous. I could find a better picture with Google Image Search, in about 35 seconds. The Leia one isn't so hot either.

Well, I guess after thinking, it doesn't surprise me all that much.

P.S. Anyone who responds without reading this is a buffoon.

P.P.S: While I typed this up, two people responded with negative comments about the green.

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Well, on the plus side, with all the new custom banners appearing everywhere, we won't have to deal with the green scheme all that much. And as more and more forums are waiting for their own banners.... we'll see less and less of the main one.

I personally can't stand green... and wish we could just go back to a light blue/light gray color scheme, although the current one's not too bad.

11. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Green??? My worst fears have been confirmed!! Looks like i'll have to directly link to the forums I frequent which have their own banners so that I don't have to see that awful mess.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It was deleted, unfortunately. Apologies on that.

That said, I'd appreciate if we could keep things constructive here.

13. flying_fishi

Mar 26, 2002
    Does disagreeing with the modsquad automatically = destructive then?

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    KnightWriter...
    "It was deleted, unfortunately. Apologies on that."

As was the post which prompted this answer and apology by Knightwriter. Apologies on that.

15. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    No. Communications is filled with people disagreeing with the Administration. Have a look.

Vertical

16. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Does disagreeing with the modsquad automatically = destructive then?

Not at all. Just that how you (meaning anyone) say something can have a lot to do with things.

17. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Though most of them have been banned, edited, or told to "back off" - not all, but a lot.

18. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002
    Two posts deleted accidentally dealing with the same issue? Hmm... that's an amazing coincidence.

19. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Communications is filled with people disagreeing with the Administration. Have a look.

I am looking, unfortunately they're being deleted to fast for me to see them.

Ooops.

IF people have accused me of turning Comm into a circus atleast I didn't come up with the amazing disappearing post act.

20. flying_fishi

Mar 26, 2002
    Communications is filled with people disagreeing with the Administration.

Did they have their posts deleted too?

21. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    yes, all neatly swept under the MS carpet me thinks

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    No, I don't think most of them had their posts deleted.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the administration. Just be constructive when doing so.

yes, all neatly swept under the MS carpet me thinks

Not really.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Gah, the posts deleted had nothing to do with disagreeing with the administration... just also nothing to do with the update... move along... :)

24. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    My constructive criticism regarding the banner is outlined in when will there new banner for the main page?.
    I warned against using a color such as green which is cute for St. Patrick's Day, but untolerable for an entire season. I also felt that just giving the job this time to someone without any kind of contest was a mistake.

25. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    perhaps people felt there was something missing from the Update, hence their constructive queries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.