main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for 5/29 - 6/04

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grilled-Sarlacc, Jun 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    With over 1200 icons I don't see how space is an issue.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Now that we have titles, the only reason for personal icons is ego, and that's not enough.

While I'm not interested in a personal icon myself, saying that those that are interested are driven by ego isn't fair.

The mods here, whom a lot of you love to hate, put in hours of work, voluntarily every week, sometimes hours daily, with little to no reward.

If a couple of 50x50 GIFs make them happy, and helps offset the wearing down brought on by the constant whinging and moaning (the likes we've seen over the last week regarding this very issue), then so be it.

Their having their own gif does not in anyway impact anyone else's enjoyment or use of these boards.

Or at least it shouldn't.

[rolleyes.gif]

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Where as not having them impacts the mods enjoyment of the board?

How many of our current mods need to be bribed with an icon to keep them from leaving? I hope none.

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I don't care abut icons as long as the DVD's keep rolling in..... :D

5. Captain_Sarcasm

Captain_Sarcasm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2003
    I think the whole icon issue is totally blown out of proportion. Is it really a big deal if someone has an icon that no one else can get? I would hope not, I don't want to throw out the whole "this is just a SW message board" but in this case I think it's justified.

How about we just let it go and let the mods have the special icons if they want. The mods are doing this in their spare time and aren't rewarded for it so my vote is to let them have it. :)

Besides, a happy mod is a good mod. :D

*slips all the 3SA mods their weekly check* 8-}

6. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    SoK...
    "That's a good point, Yodaminch. Admin-only icons would take up space that could be devoted to icons that everyone can use. Now that we have titles, the only reason for personal icons is ego, and that's not enough."

That's why I highly recommend my approach - I use a regular icon based on such an absurdly obscure Star Wars expanded universe character that I'm the only one using it with any regularity.

The end result being that I have an "admin-only" icon by default. And hey, if anyone else wants to use it too, then great - it just helps my long-term plans, anyway. [face_devil]

7. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Genghis has a point. The only "regulars" I see around here that use "my" icon are myself, and Lurking_Around.

Technically don't I then have a "semi" custom icon?

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    if i catch anyone using my royal guard icon i'll sneeze on their kneecaps. [face_devil]

9. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    According to my knowledge currently I'm the only one who uses this icon I have now (this FanForce icon). It's not my favourite icon (I used to have a Manny Calavera icon), but I like to use it because of my status in the Finnish Community of Star Wars fans.

10. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    So, my character icon is about as popular as Fanforce Finland?

I'm not quite sure if it should be you or I who is alarmed by that.

11. Darth_Weirdo

Darth_Weirdo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2002
    Let's make a compromise (spelling ?[face_plain]). Let's be alarmed at the same time, so we will have our word heard. Mmmmkay? ;)

12. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    As far as I'm concerned any public icon is fair game for any user. IF a mod sues a public icon no one else has or wants I'm fine with that.

It seems to me after all what the mods want is an icon made to their specifications, which is fine with me, it's at the point where the demand no one else be able to use it I disagree. That seems to be unchecked ego and self indulgence.

13. Bad_Therapist

Bad_Therapist Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2003
    The temptation to post about displacement and/or passive-aggression is tempting, but very off-topic.

More energy is wasted by petty complaining about icons than in focusing on the aspects of the boards you enjoy.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday...
    with all of these wonderful icons available and especially all of the hard work that numerous fans have put into creating them, the fact that someone would choose to forsake them all also seems to be unchecked ego and self indulgence. ;)

15. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Heh, I use my "Your Icon Here" as the means to find my posts quicker.

Although in reality I should just go to whichever one has been editted by you :p

16. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
  17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's a good point, Yodaminch. Admin-only icons would take up space that could be devoted to icons that everyone can use. Now that we have titles, the only reason for personal icons is ego, and that's not enough.

Just a geek rebuttal here...

Say there are, oh, 100 mods. Each of them with their own icon. An icon is ~3 KB worth of space. So that'd occupy roughly 300 KB. Static space, not dynamically increasing of course...

We get 11,000 posts a day. Figure each post is, on average, 50 words with an average word length of 5 letters. Or thus, 299 characters per post (250 letters, 49 spaces).

Or, roughly, 402 KB per DAY.

Does that count as a...

//rimshot

:confused:

EDIT: And, Genghis, I'm trying to work on some public hoojib icons too -- though I might use Shira in the meantime... [face_mischief]

18. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Or the mods could just request icons form icon makers, have them made public and use them.

I don't understand the need for mods to have private icons.

Unless of course those icons have secret MS threads imbued in them on tini microships? Maybe the IPS of users under discussions? I think not.

19. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Good point, dp. The solution is obvious.

We institute a 15 character limit on all posts so mods can have their own special icons. :eek:

20. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    I dsgr wt G id.

Whew!

Doh!

21. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    What I really want are some photos of Obi-Wan from Episode 3 so I can finally change this one.

22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    but that would be a spoiler unless the os reveals it correct? You'll be waiting a while

23. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    Actually Sape...

You can always put your own wise looking face as your icon....

It would be a personal unique (admin-only) icon. Don't you think?

And Sape. No offense, just a suggestion.... :D

24. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    Apparently we already/still have at least one private icon. It's in the misc section of the icon list.

What is it?

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.