main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update for August 23, 2006

Discussion in 'Communications' started by HanSolo29 , Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Mod Squad Update for August 23rd 2006

Moderator News:

2. imperial_dork, DarthButt and Rogue_Follower have all survived modding the JC long enough to be promoted to Manager. Congrats!

3. Strilo has returned from his excursion in Germany.

4. malkieD2 has returned back to full modding status after being away at a wedding.

5. MariahJSkywalker will be away August 21st - August 28th. Apparently hunting for jobs and looking at colleges is more important than modding.

6. Sister_Sola and Jedi_Dajuan have both announced they will be away at Dragon*Con starting August 30th. They are both set to return Sept 5th.

7. Katya_Jade has announced she will be away at a family reunion August 31st - Sept. 4th. As if that wasn't enough, she will also be away on vacation Sept. 8th - Sept. 14th.

8. Technical Issues:

9. New Feature! zerosleep has announced a new feature this week which allows users to finally set the time zone of the board to their local time. Please see this thread in Comms for more info or head here to change your time zone now.

10. In addition, all Game Hosts are encouraged to participate in this thread in Census designed to help each other adapt to the time changes.

Around the Boards:

11. The Fan Force Community is hosting the Saga Transport Tournament and they are down to their two finalists:

X-Wing

vs.

Imperial Star Destoryer

Voting is open until Thursday @6pm Pacific Time.

Please see this thread for more info.

12. The Favorite Superhero Tournament in Census is coming to a close. Be sure to check out the grand final sometime this week.

13. Problem Users:

14. Nothing new here. They were discussed and banned. Move along, move along.
  16. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    Oh how I love these nice and simple updates.

Congrats to all the new managers!

Nice update.

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Lies. I wasn't banned this week, but I'm fully aware that your 'lovely' mod team sees me as a problem user.

What is the meaning of this uninquisitive treatury?

18. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    :eek: Do the Moderators have a statment about the recently revealed bburdit hoax?

19. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Or an official statement about balls?

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Easy question first - the 'balls' issue is currently under discussion in Mod Squad.

As for the bburditt question - We've confirmed that it's a hoax and he tricked us all in a despicable manner. Hopefully one of the admins will have a further comment.

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    As LAJ said, it was verified that burditt is alive and the thread was a hoax. It is very disappointing that someone would purport something like this.

22. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001
    OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

23. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    It's maybe worth pointing out that he was on a long ban before the death hoax, and that the hoax was really to retaliate against the actions of the administration here. It's sickening because it pulled at the hearts of the entire community, and really detracted from the "in memory" threads we've had for users in the past (TSL comes to mind).

Worse still is that he's dragged others down with him as part of this hoax.

Honestly guys, don't ever think pulling a stunt like this is clever

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Everything malkie said. We, as an administration, would never deny honoring someone. We didn't even knowing that this could full well be a hoax. He's abused the trust this community had in each other and that of his friends. Getting mad about being banned on an internet messageboard isn't worth that.

25. GreatTarzan

GreatTarzan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Verily.

'Tis sad the depths some people occasionally sink. You gotta learn to hook yourself in at the top!

26. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I think Katya said it very well in the final post in the thread. I think it's extremely low to perpetuate a death hoax. Look at the outpouring of emotion that occurred in the thread, from caring well wishes, to Horax's emotion filled post. A great number of users, some who "knew him" well and others that simply wanted to pay their respects came and posted in the thread. Then, in a blink of the eye it's "Haha, it was all a joke suckers!" It's really a shame that something like this happens on an internet messageboard. I completely agree with malkie, stunts like these aren't clever or funny, they just hurt users who cared about the person and wanted to pay their respects.

27. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Agreed -

It just sickens me... I mean, REALLY sickens me.

It's just not funny, not even in a 'in such bad taste it's a guilty giggle' funny.

28. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    We're going to be a little stricter with those starting threads about this situation in JCC, also. Please be cognizant of the fact that people are hurt, disappointed and angry. They aren't in the mood to see it on the front page. Just use your judgement, please. :)

29. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    I can't believe someone would have the you know whats to do something like that...from now on I'll think twice before posting any well wishes in other threads like that...[face_plain]

30. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    I don't know what to say. This is sickening by itself. But he dragged others into to it too. This is just wrong.

31. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

See, THIS is why such a hoax is so damaging to the community as a whole. When I suffered a loss, I received so much warmth an support from the JC over all that it really made a differance and helped me through a very difficult time. Now, every time we see a thread looking for that little boost of support, we're all a little more jaded... How sad.

32. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Because of the nature of a message board, it's hard to confirm or deny when someone is telling the trust or not. Everyone should know though that the liars always get caught. Such as what happened with this case.

33. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I hope this doesn't lead to the managers deciding something like "no more memory threads until confirmation". It'd be pretty pathetic if you had to get permission to post a thread about such a topic. Just forget and move on, hopefully.

On a side note, it's really sad that a 23(I think he's 23?) year old would lower himself to such extent. I'm 17 and I wouldn't have done this even when I was 14 or something.

34. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    No, we stand by the decision to allow his thread in JCC. We'd rather err on the side of respect than to be that cynical, although cases like this make it harder. That's not the user base as a whole's fault, though. Please don't let one whack case keep you from giving those that are sincere your wishes. It only gives people who do this more power and damages our community. Believe me, we'll take proper care of those who did this. Let's not give it the time and move on.

35. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    so what were the past memorial threads where the people had actually died?

36. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If a well-known celebrity dies, there is usually a thread started by a user. Those are easy to verify though as the death is normally reported on various news sites and the story can be linked to as proof.

37. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Can we at least be relieved that he isn't dead, and hopefully ins't even sick? I won't comment on the stunt, but I'd much rather hear about a lying 22-year-old than a dead 22-year-old.

38. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't know about everyone else, but it was pretty damn obvious to me that it was a hoax. Hell, the opening post gave it away.

39. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Oh, ophelia, I think that's a given. But to his friends and the people who were geniunely sad about this, I don't imagine anything beyond that is expected. Yes, a 22-yr old is still alive, and that's a good thing. Now he has a lot of friends (or maybe ex-friends, I don't know) who don't trust him anymore and feel pretty bad about the way he's treated them. It's just a message board, but there are people behind the monitors and laptop screens and that's what threads like that remind us of, that we are a community and these people are real.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.