main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update for November 26

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Nov 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    apparently it isn't for me to know either because the only reason I've gotten is that the mods aren't unanimous on it.

DA, I actually pioneered most of the entire boards, not just lit.

2. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "....I don't do things like other mods do"

It's hard to tell judging by your colour scheme, hot stuff ;)

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    No not Oakessteve :_| You'll be missed :( but then again I do run across you more then a few times at Necks board, but good luck non the less, see yeah around

OA good luck with the fan force :)

Dark Lady Mara enjoy your short break :)

DA hes a good moderator, well as far as I know he is. But then again he does have a thing for hot pink hmmmm [face_mischief] gets an idea [face_devil]

4. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    DL was one of the ORIGINAL members and mods, I believe, and has been an excellent mod, always helpful and always around, around the clock, when he wasn't at work. I have been on this board since 2000, and his contributions are enormous. It is a loss to our beloved board here not to have him return to his original duties. I wish he were modding again; he brings not only mod expertise and experience, but board history. He always provided that balance here, and I do miss not seeing him with his colors, keeping the peace on the board. He has my vote of confidence. :)

5. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    If you want to do an interview with famous Star Wars fans, I'm sure those Penny Arcade creators would be interested. :)

Oh, and for the record, I thought you were a cool mod, DL.

Jae Angel

6. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    You can keep your Tolkien adaptations... this is the TRUE Return of the King.

[face_laugh]

Thanks for the update KW. :)

7. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Could I ask for clarification from the administration on why some members were banned for 'spamming' an FF board, but other guilty parties were not ?

Also, did anyone keep a copy of my poem from the 'Teen Angst Poetry' thread ? I felt it was very moving.

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Those punishments were handed out by the FF Administration, malkie, so I'd dare say you'd get a better answer if you asked them (unless I simply know less about the issue than other JC mods).

The inclusion here was based on an MS thread that wanted to post a reminder for people not to spam there, rather than being reflective of a discussion of the recent situation.

9. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Thanks Dags :) I was under the impression that the FF staff had MS access, and actually contributed there :eek: and maybe even posted in the JC Comms too :eek: :eek:

;)

I'm just interested, because I thought they banned people who started the threads rather than than those (*cough* me *cough*) who posted in the threads, but I know of some who were, and some who weren't.

10. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    We don't post in JC Comms.

As far as I can tell, the people who created the most threads were banned. You may, however, want to PM the mod that did the banning in order to get a full explanation. :)

11. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "Spamming Fan Force Forums.

Discussion about the problem of some JC members spamming quiet Fan Force forums took place, and the conclusion is that any member found spamming a Fan Force forum will be banned.
    "

What is the big deal about posting in a totally empty and dead fanforce forum? I mean really, banning someone for posting a thread in Fan Force Zimbabwe or something is a case of "stick-in-rear-orifice". It's just a little thing, it doesn't hurt anynody, it doesn't disturb anybody, and it doesn't warrant a ban.

Now, as I understand it, some folks posted in a dead FF board, some RSA got a bug up her bum and got all pissy about it. Bans ensued. That's not cool.

Who cares if a group of posters takes over a forum that no one uses? If someone from Myanmar wants to start a legit FF, then you can tell the squatters to beat it. But until then, they're not hurting anybody.

Also, what was in the post that was apparently deleted, that was between DL's two posts? Deleting posts in Comms threads isn't a good idea. It just looks suspicious.

Also http://laer.nu/captions/army.php?text=ebg13SERR+WRQVJNEEVBE+++++++be+jr%27yy+obzo+lbhe+nff

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Who cares if a group of posters takes over a forum that no one uses

Fan Force cares, and we care if JC members are participating in it. We also care if members use Fan Force forums as a way to create threads that have been shut down in the JC(C).

Each Fan Force forum that exists is for a specific group of people. They're not meant for JC members (or anyone else) to come in and use as their own forums, no matter how active or inactive they may be. You can go off-site for that.

Also, what was in the post that was apparently deleted, that was between DL's two posts? Deleting posts in Comms threads isn't a good idea. It just looks suspicious.

No idea. I don't believe in deleting unless it's truly necessary, and I didn't delete whatever it was.

13. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    "Each Fan Force forum that exists is for a specific group of people."

But what if that group of people doesn't even exist? Either delete the dead forums or let people put them to some use.

14. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    But what if that group of people doesn't even exist

You don't know if they don't exist. They just might not post much, or may use an off-site forum for the majority of their posting.

You make a good point though about not having completely dead forums around. Still, the forums are meant specifically for Fan Force-related posting, not to use for something else.

15. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    You're getting too caught up in rules and regulations and what things are 'meant' for. Just let people have a good time. Jeez.

16. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    What is the big deal about posting in a totally empty and dead fanforce forum? I mean really, banning someone for posting a thread in Fan Force Zimbabwe or something is a case of "stick-in-rear-orifice". It's just a little thing, it doesn't hurt anynody, it doesn't disturb anybody, and it doesn't warrant a ban.

My problem would be that there are still people in that forum that need to be respected. And not to forget thta those people are still under the protection of the TOS, as well as all other JC Adms. issues.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You're getting too caught up in rules and regulations and what things are 'meant' for. Just let people have a good time

But surely people can have a good time in JC forums that are meant specifically for that purpose?

Why take over a Fan Force forum?

18. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Because sometimes people can't have a good time in more popular forums, because of anal retentive baby sitters.

19. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    So, in short, it's a way of getting around the rules?

20. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    FF forums are set up for use by the FF group that live in that region. If the group doesnt use the forum, then FF has its own policies for dealing with that forum.

If the group doesnt use the forum, however, that does not give anyone else permission to use it.

From my experiences in FF, people from outside the region should only use that forum in a gesture of goodwill between FF groups or members.

People from outside the region using the forum as their own little hideout/cubbhouse/whatever, simply isnt on. It isnt their forum, and it isnt for them to treat it as if it was.

As for any posts between DLs, you'll notice that he posted them 2 mins apart. Its likely that he simply used two posts to make two points.

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If you can't have fun, set up an ezBoard or other offshoot board. The JC can't be everything for everyone.

22. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    So, in short, it's a way of getting around the rules?

No, I think it was a way of getting around discrimination.

23. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Is it honestly so hard to respect another person's area? Is it such heartache to actually put someone in fron of yourself?

24. Saint_of_Killers

Feb 18, 2001
    Sa..I mean KW: Not even rules. Certain interpretations of the rules. It's no secret that mods get a little lock and/or ban happy, and it's no secret that certain groups get looked at closer than others.

Dags: Well if it isn't their forum, maybe there should be a seperate registry for FF and the JC. When I signed up for the JC, I gained the ability to post anywhere on this board system(excdpting a few private forums). If FF wants to be all snotty, they can move.

Jeff: Why can't FF groups set up an EzBoard?

25. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    The last post by a South African in the South Africa forum was in May.

Ooooh, we're really disturbing the South Africans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.