main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update For The Time-Period Ending Jan 05, 2003

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Mod Squad Update For The Time-Period Ending Jan 05, 2003

You say hello, I say goodbye...
    • jedi-mind-trick has taken a few weeks off in order to deal with several real life problems.

• Darth Dark Helmet has stepped down due to burnout.

• RidingMyCaroselOnYou has stepped down from his moderator position, but has remained a City Rep.

• Hama-Ryu-Kinnebi has returned from an extended absense. Welcome back!

• Bria, Dark_Lord_Erik, and Quixotic-Sith have been promoted to manager upon reaching their three-month anniversaries of getting the power of the ban.

• KnightWriter has returned to us, bigger and better than before.

Admin Reminders
    • Vertical posted a thread to remind us all that "sers may log in and use the PM feature while their primary account is banned. The only thing that is disallowed is *posting* as a sock while the primary account is banned." Thanks for the clarification, Vert!

• Kadue posted a reminder to be more specific when entering ban reasons.

VIPship and Contests
    • Bacabachaui asked what the policy was on VIPships and titles for games. It was decided that all VIPship offerings must be approved by the modsquad first before the game began, and that the titles were there as clarifications for why that user was VIPed.

• Grilled-Sarlacc posted a thread asking if the Regis_Philban sock (head of the Million Colors game) a VIP and making it its own personal icon in order to bring realism to the game. The idea was heartily approved.

Holiday Board Scheme...
    • ...came and went. We hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. And a hearty thank you goes out to GayLen-Kenobi for making the banner, and all the icon makers for their wonderful contributions. :)

Spoilers of Non-SW Movies
    • Quixotic-Sith brought up the issue of posting spoilers about newly-released movies in the TPM forum. After lots of asking why people would be discussing LOTR in TPM, it was finally decided that threads discussing new movies should post a spoiler warning in their subject line.

The Situation
    • Regarding the current situation involving Lord Bane and Carter-TFN, Joshua Griffin is currently working on policy regarding it. We ask that everyone remain patient.

Sauron
    • Vertical wondered if it would be at all inappropriate for him to take the Eye of Sauron as his personal icon. After multiple jokes, nothing was decided except that Vertical was setting himself up for too many jokes.

On Newbies
    • It scares us all, but the JC Administration would like to extend a cheerful welcome to all the Jan 03ers that have popped up in the past few days. Welcome to the JC, and we hope this year is better than the last, for you and for all the users here. :)

Musical Interlude Provided by Gandolf the Grey
    • The Communications Forum (set to the tune of 'House of the Rising Sun' by the Animals)

There is a forum on theForce.net
      They call Communications
      And it's been the ruin of many a poor mod
      And Vert I know I'm one

Once I was a newbie
      I didn?t know what was outlawed
      Chyren taught me all the rules
      Now I?m in the Mod Squad

Now the only thing a mod?rator needs
      Is a ban button and some luck
      And the only time he's satisfied
      Is when he?s banned a punk

Oh mother tell the newbies
      Not to do what I have done
      Spend your posts in sin and misery
      In the Communications forum

Well, I got one foot on the platform
      The other foot on the train
      I'm goin' back to the Mod Squad
      To wear that ball and chain

Well, there is forum on theForce.net
      They call Communications
      And it's been the ruin of many a poor mod
      And Vert I know I'm one
      [/l

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Good update.

I do not think it is inappropriate for Vertical's icon to be the Eye of Sauron. Even though some users will demand more LOTR icons for regular use.

3. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Thanks Liz :)

4. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't like the idea of having non-SW-related icons for just random reasons. I think it causes many problems, such as:

Hey, if there can be a LOTR icon, can I have this icon:
    [image=http://www.badassbuddy.com:8080/images/buddies/badassbuddy_com-compnerd.gif]

I'm serious. I want that icon. I'll crop it, color it, and un-animate it, but I want it.

I have no issue with Vertical personally, and while I agree that there's nothing wrong with the icon (despite it making me slightly nervous :p), having tons of non-SW icons (or even just a few) that are available for the average poster is asking for debate.

Now again, I'm asking for debate here when I say that I feel the mods should be able to have their own off-topic icons (if appropriate), but I think that's another debate.

I also wonder why there's non-SW movies being discussed in TPM, and poor QS worring about their spoiler warnings, but I'll leave that to those who frequent the forum.
    I would however like to add that I will be very upset if people are banned for posting spoilers in a thread relating to the movie (that doesn't specifically say Non-Spoiler, because then it would be off topic).

¤Night

5. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    About time :)

Thanks Liz for the update :)

I'm wondering why people were discussing new movies in the TPM forum as well.

Kithera

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    DDH, say it aint so!

Meh, I think a lot of people were hoping for a lot more from this update, myself included.

7. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I, for one, offer a hearty disagreement in Vertical's proposal to be given an Eye of Sauron icon. That thing scares the crap out of me. And besides, it looks like someone I know... ;)

I kid. He deserves a special icon for everything he has done.

Thanks for the update.

8. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Very nice update Liz.

I do have a question to ask actually.

The first is, what discussion is going on in the MS regarding a replacement for Darth Dark Helmet in the Classic Trilogy Forum?

Otherwise, excellent job and nice little interlude. :p

Oh and I would have no problem if Vertical's icon was the Eye of Sauron. He runs the place, he deserves to have a fringe privlege or two.

9. DarkWoman

DarkWoman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    I don't have a problem with the Eye of Sauron icon thing... There'd probably be people complaining about the LOTR icon not being made for the general public, but it'd basically be the same as the other mod-restricted icons, I think. :)

10. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Wheee! And update! :D

Hello and goodbye to some mods. You'll be missed RMCOY, DDH, and jmt.

Thanks for the clarification on logging in while banned. While I'm sure I'll never use it (*cough*), I know people have asked and continue to ask.

And I look forward to the resolution between Bane and Carter.

Thanks for the update Liz!!

11. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks for the update. :)

12. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Eye of Sauron turns me on. [face_love]

Amazing.

13. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Thanks for the update! It's nice to know what's happening. :)

14. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Finally!!! ;)

So anyone know who's replacing DDH in clasic trilogy?

Axl.

15. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Wonderful Update Liz :)

16. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "The first is, what discussion is going on in the MS regarding a replacement for Darth Dark Helmet in the Classic Trilogy Forum?"

and

"So anyone know who's replacing DDH in clasic trilogy?"

It's being discussed, but has taken a backseat due to some of the recent drama. First, we need to decide whether or not there is a need for a new moderator or if a current moderator wants to help cover it. If we need a new moderator, then we'll start discussing potential candidates. If you have someone who you would like to suggest, just PM myself or another moderator, and we can take it into account when discussing potential replacements. :)

17. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    I was just wondering whos covering it while the decition is made?

Edit: Someone was appointed to babysit it right?

Axl.

18. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Thanks for the info YodaJeff on the CT forum. :)

I don't have anyone in mind for that forum, but I'm sure someone does. ?[face_plain]

19. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Thanks, although the update seems a bit thin given that it covers three weeks.

Bria, Dark_Lord_Erik, and Quixotic-Sith have been promoted to manager upon reaching their three-month anniversaries of getting the power of the ban.

I'll ask publicly what a few of us have talked about in private (and this question has nothing to do with the three mods listed in the quote). Why is there no more requirement than not getting kicked out after three months to have the powers of a manager bestowed upon a mod? Seems to me that that extra layer of the administration should be reserved for those that have done something to deserve the promotion. By nature, more abilities require more responsibility and that responsibility should be earned in some way. Maintaining the status quo should not cut it.

20. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    but, Jim, mastering the ability to change one's colors 5-6 times a day takes a LOT of work and dedication. Not just anyone can do it, mind you... [face_mischief]

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I've been wondering about the recent profusion of promotions to manager as well. Wasn't the whole reason the hierarchy of administrative ranks was introduced was to limit the more "dangerous" powers to only a small number of people, reducing the probability of abuse?

I'm also opposed to the idea of custom icons for anyone. It sets a bad precedent, as Night pointed out more eloquently than I can, and also irritates a lot of users whose icon might be deleted in favor of one only a single user would have.

22. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001
    Vertical is not just "any one" He has put in a lot of time and work into making this place one of the busiest SW fan sites around, and if he wants an icon, more power to him, and I happen to know that his skills with photoshop are such he could create himself. I think as part of his "Supreme CHancellor" rank, he should be allowed to design a custom icon for his own personal use. He's earned the right..

23. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    so the boss wants his own icon. big deal. who cares? seems like a non-issue to me.

and i agree with the sentiment towards the manager position's purpose. what exactly is the point of the manager position? obviously there are no qualifications other than being a mod for 3 months. in that case, why not just call the first 3 months of modship a sort of "probationary period?" ...or perhaps "mod n00bage."

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    That's basically what it is. The only real differnce between being a mod and a manager is more toys to play with. You become a mod, and the three month period is basically a probationary period, to see if you can handle the job, the responisbilities and all that. If you make it through, and don't cause any major issues, there's no reason someone shouldn't be promotoed to manager.

25. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Vertical wondered if it would be at all inappropriate

This whole icon thing sounds like a Mod Squad joke that has spilled out into the streets.

If Vert makes an icon and starts flashing it around, cry about it then and start petitions and whatever else.
    If Vert makes a post or comment asking if people think it would be okay, yap about it then.

Is it really important to weigh up pros and cons about something which is hardly mentioned and is at the end of the update (indicating it's high relevance? :p).

Hope everything is okay, j-m-t.

Tayschrenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.