main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update For The Time-Period Ending Jan 05, 2003

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    New moderator guidelines were just posted in the Mod Squad. They're very general, but provide an overview of the 'type' of moderating we're looking for here, and the general approach mods should take to their role.

There are also various threads which help newer mods get the hang of certain aspects of the 'job' - how to ban, how to unban, how to IP ban, how to deal with the buttons and the interface.

Vertical

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    My opinions on training of n00b mods are similar to Gandolf's.

And just to make some observations, there just haven't been any substantial problems, historically-speaking with this class of people. The vast majority of mods will continue on into their mod tenure in pretty much the same manner as how they've established themselves prior to being promoted.

So, then, the "problem" ones. The major problems have generally occurred with those who have been around a while.

Looking at the lasy three demotions "for cause," for example...
    1. Administrator
    2. Manager
    3. Manager

And these recent situations (posting/linking taboo subjects, flaming, abuse of power, etc.) generally mimic those serious ones of the past as well - posting while drunk, lacking 74c7, etc. in terms of the status of the perp.

Perhaps more focus should be put on things like the "AC Evalutions" and other types of "ongoing" review of moderator conduct than a front-loaded noob tutorial approach.

IMO, it seems to me there just aren't that many problems with new mods while they're still "new."

3. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    i STRONGLY agree with Gandolf the Grey and The Boogie Man.

and i've seen plenty of problems involving "new" mods, in the past. the statistics on recent demotions has no bearing on the big picture.

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    New moderator guidelines were just posted in the Mod Squad. They're very general, but provide an overview of the 'type' of moderating we're looking for here, and the general approach mods should take to their role.

There are also various threads which help newer mods get the hang of certain aspects of the 'job' - how to ban, how to unban, how to IP ban, how to deal with the buttons and the interface.

Great, that is good :)

And just to make some observations, there just haven't been any substantial problems, historically-speaking with this class of people. The vast majority of mods will continue on into their mod tenure in pretty much the same manner as how they've established themselves prior to being promoted.

Just because there hasn't been any problems in the past doesn't mean there won't be. all you have to get is one mod who's character has been misjudged and promoted, or promoted by a bad mod. You wouldn't want the JC's administration to be called re-actionary, would you?
    Police, social workers, etc all have training. even if they are volunteers, like the JC.
    So why can't we at least have a master/apprentice system going for the first two weeks of a mod. it wouldn't hurt, you know.....

5. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    To point out, Ghengis, I was demoted not for flaming but because of personal reasons. Telling someone to shut up does not nor should it ever equal a demotion or ban. I have never given a ban to someone who told someone else to shut up, nor have I seen any demotions take place for that. A four-month long mutual vendetta was acted out, not any sort of legal administrative action.

Hence, the abuse of power mention.

"The vast majority of mods will continue on into their mod tenure in pretty much the same manner as how they've established themselves prior to being promoted."

I see this as a problem. If one were to become a mod, they should not act like they did before becoming a mod. They should instead grow into the job, learn the responsability involved.

farraday established himself at the JC as a spammer, an applesauce man, and a guy who told the JC to go...do things to itself. He came back after banning and was changed, but still had some of the looser habits. After being modded, he became one of the strictest and most dedicated mods the JCC has ever seen, giving it an underlying sense of order and actually enforcing rules he set down. He grew into the role as he saw the responsability laid before him. That is what we must not only want to see, but must expect.

Anything else would be haphazard and slovenly.

6. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "KnightWriter has returned to us, bigger and better than before."

I'm confused by this. Are you saying that he's gained muscle mass in his absence, or that he's taking some kind of herbal male enhancement drug?

By which, of course, I mean welcome back, KW!

"Telling someone to shut up does not nor should it ever equal a demotion or ban."

In my experience, it equals exactly that. My first ban was for telling AurraJade to shut up after she posted something incredibly stupid and offensive. And from what I've heard of my user notes, it caused Missninfan to leave me forever branded as a flamer. (Thank you oh so much for that, dearie. [face_plain])

Which brings up another issue that I won't address here. But, Mod-willing, I'd like to make some kind of case for it in Comms. If any progressive mod out there wants to give me a hand or a green light or something to get started, I'd greatly appreciate it.

7. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    generally speaking- the mod should adapt to the postion, rather than the position adapting to the mod.

8. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    is there a need for a new mod in any forum?

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Possibly Classic Trilogy.

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
  11. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    ...and JCC.

12. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Jim: put in a new mod or replace existing mods?

13. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Yes. 3SA could use another Moderator. I haven't been here enough to catch up, but it seems That_Wascally_Droid has stepped down ?[face_plain]

14. yodahs-daddy

May 20, 2002
    That was cally stepped down? wow man that was short.

15. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    music needs one.

and possibly the ampitheatre (though i think gandolf and rogue are doing great jobs by themselves)

so, has anything been discussed about mod apprenticeship?

16. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    "so, has anything been discussed about mod apprenticeship?"

That isn't a half bad idea. How about a Master/Padawan relationship between an oldie mod and a newbie mod. That would help with the mod training and perhaps establish bonds of trust and friendship within the Modsquad.

17. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Perhaps the much-asked for mod squad turnover is gonna happen all by itself...

18. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    That's alright. Just ignore everything I post.

19. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Which brings up another issue that I won't address here. But, Mod-willing, I'd like to make some kind of case for it in Comms. If any progressive mod out there wants to give me a hand or a green light or something to get started, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Are you referring to that? You can bring it to any AC member, or pm a mod; but waiting for someone to pm you is a bad course of action I feel.

¤Night

20. yodahs-daddy

May 20, 2002
    so, has anything been discussed about mod apprenticeship?

thats a great idea so we could have a bunch more mods and when older ones step down the newer ones could step up and untill the older mods stepp down the new mods could be just jc mods instead of a certain board when a mod stepps down then they could be promoted to a certain board.

21. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    so, you're talking about:

1. advance selection
    2. training, as in reserves
    3. called to active duty, when the need arises.

sounds reasonable and plausible.

well, Vert, what do you think?

these "reserves trainees" can be called to temporary active duty as emergencies arise, such as sickness, vacation, resignations, firings, and holiday traffic occur, in the various forums.

22. yodahs-daddy

May 20, 2002
    yeah they could be used when there are emergencies. or vacation or when needed to settle something good idea this might pass into communications. this is a really good idea.

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Anyways,

I have to say sink or swim gives you a lot of burned out mods. Mods who take to much on in their first few months in the misguided belief they might actually be able to change something.

If the mods are of the opinion anyone made a mod is automatically able to fullfil the requirements in total, then first, it explains why before now there have been few to no attempts to acclimate new mods and second, shows even well meaning and long time mods can be damn wrong.

If mods are not of the opinion being made a mod automatically confers the knowlege patiance and experience neccesary to fullfil the position adequately, then obviously this long awaited 'guideline' is only the first step in a process of ensuring a more stable and equitable modsquad and view of the rules.

Of course it could just be a sop.

But you'd never do that right Vertical? ;)

In any case, going back to something Vert said....

we usually promote people when we're crunched for help... this wouldn't alleviate any unexpected vacancies or any immediate needs...

There are few to none long term unexpected vacancies. Most mod sI know of who have retired have given advance warning. Furthermore, mods should be made for long term needs, and not immediate ones. Especially considering how long it takes for a discussion to go from "do we need a mod" to "do we all agree this is the right person?" a promotion to fill an immediate need is quite ludicrous. As I understand and from my experience, if for some reason an immediate need is spotted the promotion is most often made from the ranks of post active former mods.

Finally, why is there a crunch for help? Aren't mods active in their forums? If not always active posters, there enough to know that help is needed? Is there no foresight to know help will be needed? Do none of the mods possess the vision to know when forums are trending toward more activity or less?

I hope atleast one or two does.

24. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    That isn't a half bad idea. How about a Master/Padawan relationship between an oldie mod and a newbie mod. That would help with the mod training and perhaps establish bonds of trust and friendship within the Modsquad.

Yes, this is exactly what i am talking about :)

25. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    It is a nice idea. It will of course, get a lot more trust going around in the Mod Squad.

The only thing is though, is that to be selected as a Moderator, you have to be responsible, know what your doing, be mature, good posters, ect. And I don't think they would need a Master to show them this, if they already have met the requirements. Maybe Vertical will like it though, who knows :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.