main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending August 4

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Thanks for the update.

Along with the threads on love advice needed, I hit X posts, and hot female appreciation, I'd like to suggest an official "Computer Problems" thread.

2. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
  3. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Okay... then when a new computer problems thread is opened, it should get locked and directed to the Official Thread. Official Threads are useless if not properly enforced. ;)

4. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Padme Bra as admin? Excellent! This will give the Drama mongers and Refuge bashers an excuse to obsess and whine again. :)

5. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
  6. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Nice update, nice Beatles parody, nice solution to the YJCC "problem". ;) :p

:)

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    You can add more rules all you like, but without effective moding of the forum it won't matter a whit.

May I ask which of you has decided to visit YJCC with an eye more towards things to be fixed rather then where to post?

8. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

The problems in Community can't be resolved by tossing in some **Official** threads. The issues in Community are the result of people who post threads without regard for anyone but themselves. Certain people can never think of anything original and/or interesting, so they rehash some ridiculous thread about CDs, movies, watched users, etc. They just want to see their name on the front page. They want people to notice them and post in their threads. Then, they'll be justified in starting even more hackneyed and pointless threads, because they're so "popular."

An **Official** girlfriend thread or love advice thread would inhibit discussion. Sometimes... sometimes... a person might actually have an interesting story to tell -- one that might even warrant its own thread.

Don't restrict "goodbye" or "I'm back after my fifteen minute trip from work to home" threads. Occasionally, there might actually be some reason to tell us "goodbye" or "I'm back." Instead, people should just use some feakin' common sense before posting them. Don't be such self-centered, arrogant morons who think we actually care that you're going on vacation for three days.

If the Administration sets some sort of firm policy on these types of threads, then that will send us all down a "slippery slope" where before we know it the entire board will be consolidated to one **Official** Community thread. Instead, leave it to the Community at large to police these sorts of threads. Capitalism at its finest. If a thread is stupid and offends the sensiblities of reasonable people, then it will not be successful. (Also, a little public ridicule might go a long way toward eliminating some of those who don't do so well picking up on subtle clues that they suck.) Eventually, those who repeatedly post worthless threads will become disenchanted with the constant failure that is their life and move on to a Star Trek board or something. Those even too stupid to see how sad and pathetic they are will eventually do something on the board to get themselves banned, so the problem will resolve itself.

Here's the point -- don't restrict the potential for a great thread in Community by keeping such a broad topic as "love" (and others) in one thread. Instead, let the members simply be more discerning before they start posting threads.

AYBABTU?

9. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Laissez faire Moderating?

Let me get this right, you want public humiliation to be the basis for regulating JCC?

So if someone makes a thread you dislike them, just ridicule them until they go away?

What a brilliant idea, where do you come up with these pearls of wisdom?

10. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

That comment was parenthetical for a reason.

I suppose we could just put an arbitrary 15 post cap on all threads at the JC. Would you like that better?

AYBABTU?

11. Lolipon

Lolipon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 28, 1999
    If Kadue has stepped down ( :( ) whoever shall upload new icons? ?[face_plain]

I'm not sure how I feel about *official* threads in YJCC.. I kinda agree with what some people said earlier, that it might limit or cause people to over look when someone brings up a new subject in a long-standing thread.

12. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    So if your ridicule of some hopeless newbie staring a "I'm new to the JC" thread starts a flame war, should we ban you or them for daring to post something that violates your tender sensibilities?

All your stupid ideas are belong to you.

13. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Someone set farraday up the bitter.

AYBABTU?

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh I'm sorry, I was hoping this ridicule would make you realize how wrong you were. Apparently it only works on people with low self esteem who manage to offend some one like yourself, willing to devote time and energy to hounding them down until they leave.

If only we had more people like you we could get rid of all these new people daring to join the JC.

For shame.

15. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    So if your ridicule of some hopeless newbie staring a "I'm new to the JC" thread starts a flame war,

Since when has this happened? Never. Everyone in the YJCC has always helped out and redirected the lost newbie.

should we ban you or them for daring to post something that violates your tender sensibilities?

Depends. If both were flamming, then both should be banned. Basically, only the person who was flamming should be banned.

16. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    If a thread is stupid and offends the sensiblities of reasonable people, then it will not be successful.

Then what's the problem? It will disappear off the front page in no time considering the amount of traffic the YJCC gets.

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    If a thread is stupid and offends the sensiblities of reasonable people, then it will not be successful.

If this were true then either there is no problem or there are no reasonable people.

Are we allowed to vote for which one we think it is?

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

That is the point. I'm saying that there is no need for further regulation of Community. farraday just seems to want to focus on some throw-away silliness about ridicule.

AYBABTU?

19. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Really, you can instantly tell if a thread is worth reading by the poster.

This leads me to believe that the problem is not with multiple instances of threads (redundancy) in the JCC, or with repetitous posting (spam) but with BORING UNINTERESTING Posting.

For Instance, you could never accuse B'omarr of being a spammer or troll, but some of his threads are near to incomprehensible in there "zanyness".

Does anyone complain?

No.

Why?

Because they ENJOY them.

I really think people need to have a moment before posting to muse:

"Does anyone care?"

Which is why, I agree with AYBABTU that maybe, occasionally, A few sharp words from other users may help to refine posting styles and contents.

6 threads on films is not bad in itself.

6 BAD threads is.

1 Bad UBER-Thread is Worse.

UKS

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

At least UKS is paying attention.

AYBABTU?

21. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    I agree with the UKS on this issue.

22. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    "Really, you can instantly tell if a thread is worth reading by the poster. "

That may be true in many cases, but not all of them. You have to remeber that at one point B'omarr had never posted a thread like the great ones he's famous for, and therefore no one knew if it was worth reading.

¤Night

23. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Sometimes (in my opinion), when there are two threads with a similar subject matter, one is fine, while the other isn't necessary.

For example:
    I didn't have a problem with DUSHONI's goodbye thread for a few reasons:
    1. He's been a member for around a year, and is pretty well known.
    2. He is going to be gone for a couple months.
    3. He didn't seem to want us to pity him. It was more or less a general announcement stating that he would be away, and why.
    4. If he hadn't created the thread, someone probably would have created a "Where's DUSHONI" thread down the line.

On the other hand, I get slightly annoyed when we get a goodbye thread from someone who:
    1. Has been a member for a month or two, and has under 100 posts. (I don't mean to judge someone based upon their post count or registration date. The point I am trying to convey is that nobody really knows who this member is).
    2. Is going away for the weekend.

In my opinion, the first is a valid thread. The second one, although it has a similar topic, isn't necessary (again, in my opinion). Of course, I don't know if I'd like to be the one who decides which threads like these stay and which ones should go.

24. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    I'll have to agree with UKS and YodaJeff on this particular issue. You can honestly tell whether or not a thread is a valid one to read or not just by reading the title or the first post.

25. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Most of the time you can honestly tell if you want to go into a thread based on it's title and first post.

It's validity isn't based on whether or not you like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.