main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending June 30th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by NathanDahlin, Jul 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    Okay, okay. Perhaps we should get back on topic... ;)

2. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Whats the topic?

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    I know a topic, it's about I_D again! I have a few things to say.

As for the sock trivializing a person's main point, that's b.s. Pure and simple. While it may happen to some extent (a small extent), that is not the objective of the sock. And as long as I see Kadue posting "Okay guys, why don't we all just get up and take a walk away from the computer for a little while," and Sapient posting "AA et.al, if this truly ends up being your biggest problem of the day or week, then I envy you," then the point is moot. Unless you start banning everybody who does it.

Lord Bane said: I banned I_D because technically he was spamming, not contributing anything and in some cases instigating more drama than previously existed in the thread.

Oh, yes. People see the words "Hello, friends," posted by this sock and immediately realize that THIS IS INDEEED DRAMA OMG OMG OMG!!11 TIME TO POST DRAMAMA OMG! [face_plain] As for your other points, yes, it's technically spam. But enough people find it funny that it can pass, unless you have a grudge against the sock (which you do).

He also said: Of late it seems like that sock was just dropping in, adding nothing (as per usual) and in its wake, there would be an increase of drama that did not exist before.

That is because of the punctual nature of the sock. It shows up before the wave of drama that it knows is coming. It isn't a difficult concept, really.

And in addition, he said: It had banned before, had been warned before.

Okay, I'm sorry if I butcher this, but your typing is hard to comprehend. If you were trying to say It had been banned before, then you are wrong, and it hasn't (at least to my knowledge). And it has never been warned before.

And the fact that the TOS says that somebody can be banned for no reason doesn't make it right.

edit: Oh, and since Lord Ban tells us that there are parts of the TOS we cannot read, perhaps there's a part in there that says you need a reason to bane people!!!

Thanks for your time.

4. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    [image=http://gifs.fcpages.com/drama.gif]

5. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999

[color=blue]And it has never been warned before.[/color][hr][/blockquote]False.

[b]Interent_Drama[/b] was warned on 5/3/2002 at 3:43 PM to stop spamming a thread that had a legitimate concern. You should know, since you were the one who answered the warning. EDIT - after checking, it appears I_D was banned, also.

I'm not saying anything about the sock itself, I'm just saying your claim that it has never been warned for this behavior is inaccurate.

Vertical

6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    //gets [image=http://gifs.fcpages.com/drama.gif]

7. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    "But enough people find it funny that it can pass"

So if enough people find something funny on the boards, it's acceptable? That's an interesting thing to say.

From Internet_Drama's Admin Notes: Vertical - 05/03/02 15:43:39: User Banned: repeatedly spamming Communications after repeated warnings to stop

8. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I forgot about that. Had you warned me after the first post you deleted, I would have stopped posting in that thread. But instead you kept deleting posts without telling me, so I thought it was a server error, and kept posting it until it worked. Once you told me to stop, I did so. Also, I_D was not banned after that, as I clearly remember logging in repeatedly, and sharing messages under that name with Vertical (check your PM's if you want). The user notes are wrong.

Also, the sock wasn't "spamming" Communications, it was "spamming" one thread about Darth Ludicrous.

"Spam," as far as I can see, would require multiple useless messages in a thread. Since I_D only posts once per thread and the meaning is quite useful, it is not spam. :)

And for some reason, the warning about "spamming" serious threads had never been issued before or after that. Perhaps threads that could serve to further one's possible agenda are the only ones protected from the evil, malevolent "spam" of Internet_Drama.

Lord Bane, perhaps I worded that poorly. I personally think that if socks are entertaining enough, you can overlook their "uselessness" or spammy nature. Cases in point being Buttsteak, Chjyren, any celebrity sock, AND DARE I SAY TEH MODFATHER!1111 This is not the same situation as, say, users that are funny when they flame people. They should be banned, even though they might me humorous. Comparing those two situations is like comparing spaghetti and meatball to lamb and prok chop.

9. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I wonder what my admin notes say. ?[face_plain]

Nothing bad I hope. :eek:

10. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I think I may have temporarily banned I_D during that, but unbanned him immediately afterwards.

I *would* have PM'ed you asking you to stop, but I removed your post, and another one popped up. Before I could write you, you had another message up.

Anyway, my only point is that I_D has been warned before.

Vertical

11. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    You have no usernotes, Spike.

Vertical

12. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    All right, so it has been warned for "spamming." A winner is you!

Lord Ban, do you wish to comment on any of my other points? I'd really love to see your opinions.

13. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Really?

Dang, how do you go about getting some? ;) :p

14. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    I can give you one, if you want. Like, "This guy wants his notes spammed. He's not to be trusted." :p

15. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I don't like that though, how about....

"This guy is really cool. His posts are examples of intelligence in its purest form. If you want to talk to someone cool, pm this poster."

:p

16. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    naw, I put that in Horizontal's bio, and if I put it in anyone else's it would get old. :p

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Spike, I just spammed your user notes.

Some users have really impressive notes. We have a cap of 5000 characters on user notes, which you would think would be enough, but some people try to push it. One user was banned on fifteen different occasions by eight different mods before we finally decided to perm ban him.

We mod-types spam each others user notes. My user notes:

Gandolf the Grey - 07/02/02 19:06:51: Mmmmm... cookies....
    Liz Skywalker - 06/30/02 21:11:59: //bakes cookies
    Gandolf the Grey - 06/24/02 19:53:20: //feels much better
    Mar17swgirl - 06/24/02 10:52:13: *hugs Gandy*
    Gandolf the Grey - 06/23/02 13:44:41: [breaks stuff at random out of frustration with job :(]
    Liz Skywalker - 06/13/02 17:34:16: //breaks user notes
    Gandolf the Grey - 06/12/02 17:31:20: [British Accent] Smashing. [/British Accent]
    Liz Skywalker - 05/30/02 16:49:30: [new york accent]how you doin'?[/new york accent]
    Gandolf the Grey - 05/27/02 10:07:59: //waves back
    Liz Skywalker - 05/26/02 09:35:21: //waves
    cbjedi - 02/14/02 19:54:26: Warned for creating a thread that contained about 30 javascript commands in the first page causing my computer to crash.
    Vertical - 10/02/01 19:02:42: User Banned: Heheh, I'm just playing around. I'll unban him in a minute

18. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    you should see *mine*. All of one line. :p

19. Spike_Spiegal

Mar 11, 2002
    Spike, I just spammed your user notes.

Yeah!!!! Er...what do they say? ?[face_plain]

We mod-types spam each others user notes.

So this is what mods do in their spare time? Get back to work! :p

20. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    One user was banned on fifteen different occasions by eight different mods before we finally decided to perm ban him.

Poor Bibby. :(

21. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    So this is what mods do in their spare time?

that and banning random Liz socks. :p

22. AlienAcid

AlienAcid Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Some users have really impressive notes. We have a cap of 5000 characters on user notes, which you would think would be enough, but some people try to push it. One user was banned on fifteen different occasions by eight different mods before we finally decided to perm ban him.

Commander Antillies deleted most of my admin notes a while ago.. I only had 6 bannings when it was last checked.

FORCEBOAT!

23. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    I had something like 8 ban notes when I became a mod. *shrug* I've accepted the fact that I'm probably the most banned of any mod, past or present.

24. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I think nice things should be put in everyone's user notes such as "user wears nice hats." There's no need to only have negative things.

Amazing.

25. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Do "accidental" bannings show up in the Admin notes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.