main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week ending May 19th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    The only problem I have with this thread is that I think Liz is Vertical.

Yes, I'm hoping the get the respect that comes with his name.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "Umm... actually, I think me as well as most of the other people who read this thread don't mind the humour thrown in.
    Whats so wrong with trying to make it humourous anyways?"

Humor is fine. The Mod Squad updates are better with it. But this update just had too many inside jokes, and like all inside jokes, they aren't quite as funny to those of us on the outside. Umm, that's it.

Amazing.

3. captain Tarpols

captain Tarpols Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 12, 1999
    I can't help but nottice that I am just a pathetic regular user and not an Admin or Mod, oh well. Thats the brakes.

4. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Jokes:

"Padme Bra (with the help of a hapless mod who shall remain nameless) was voted emergency powers. With a tear in his eye, he reluctantly accepted and promised to lay them down after the newbie rush has abated. After we all stopped laughing, we got back down to business. "

the joke: Padme Bra was voted emergency powers. this is from a JCC thread.

"but we're still conspiring against Kadue. "

Joke: check last week's modsquad update.

"It was discovered that Darth Ludicrous has a life. There was a mass intake of breath from the mods, and Vertical, DarthAttorney, and Kadue all had to go lie down in a dark room to recover. The rest of us wish DL and mj the best of luck! "

Joke: you do know that mods are assumed to have no life, right?

"The non-spoiled mods had panic attacks when they realized that their two years worth of effort to remain spoiler free was destroyed in little over 2 hours and 13 minutes. On a related note, Mar likes mangos. "

Joke: it's on all the unspoiled people who worked so hard to stay unspoiled. After they saw the movie, they were now spoiled. The joke came from a post someone made, again, in the JCC about trying to stay spoiler free from ESB when I posted that Vader was Luke's father. The mango bit came from various threads in which I threw mangos (which I do on the JCC also at times) and Mar caught one and ate it.

"The spoiled mods had panic attacks when their coordinated war plan was torn apart in little over 2 hours and 13 minutes. They had planned their strategy for months, and had thought themselves ready for anything. On a related note, Gandolf smells burnt toast. (ED: No, that's me - Sturm Antilles). "

Joke: on above entry. I have no idea what the burnt toast joke is though I've been told that any Canadian would get it. //shrug

"Discussed a possible source of yet more drama. Will this never end?"

Joke: none.

"Chyren was looked for in all the wrong places."

Joke: see CA's sig.

"Once more unto the PSA, dear friends, once more;
    Or close the threads up with burnt out mods!
    On slow days there?s nothing so becomes a Mod
    As modest solving of all problems via PM;
    But when the blast of AOTC blows in out ears,
    Then imitate the course of action of the Gundark;
    Arm the lock button, ready the ban button,
    Disguise fair nature with strict policies:
    Then lend the colors a terrible aspect. "

Joke: parody of the AOTC situation.

Happy? Did I leave any possible jokes out? I fail to see how these are all "inside jokes".

5. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I really had no intention of making a big deal over this, nor was my post a complaint about not getting the jokes. I was just saying is all.

Amazing.

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    now look what you have done, nothing worse than making someone explain the joke

tip to mods: jokes about Gore Vidal are GOLD, never fails to get a laugh

7. EmpressPalpatine

EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 31, 2001

But this update just had too many inside jokes, and like all inside jokes, they aren't quite as funny to those of us on the outside. Umm, that's it.

exactly. I mean, it's nice you guys have fun, and it's great you all get along well enough, but it's like being the new kid in school. the rest of us just sit here and go "Um, ok."

and the fact that Liz had to explain the jokes, shows that most us have no idea what she was talking about in the first place...

Not that we ever do... ;)

8. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    I guess, with no offense meant, that maybe it seemed like you were trying too hard to interject humor and so either
    a)it wasn't really that funny or
    b)it was funny, but you had to understand it on a deeper level, like some inside jokes.

and since most people are on the defensive when the ModSquad is brought up anyway,they assumed it was b...

Incidentally, trying to bold a b in ezcodes is crazy.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Please, re-read liz's last post and then please, point out all the "inside" jokes.

10. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    Who exactly are you adressing?

11. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Maybe these aren't inside jokes, but the point is that not all of us understand most of it when we read them. We may be able to understand one or two, but the rest, to us, all seem that they need some deeper level of understanding. Not all the jokes are obvious at once. A lot of them need specific references, like the CA one. That's where the problem comes in.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    But, its not exactly an Inside, only the mods get it joke.

13. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    OK, I get your point. I'll take back my point about it being an Inside joke, but I still stick by my point that the jokes aren't immediate ones (maybe the one about DL having a life is, but others like the CA one aren't exactly there, especially the one needing to refer back to the previous one about Kadue). It would be appreciated if more emphasis could be placed on the actual facts and happenings. There's nothing wrong with putting in jokes, but without making it the main focus would be better.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    Well, we can do it without the joky bits, but it'd probably be as dull as ditchwater. This stuff really isn't very interesting.

15. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    This is kinda my fault, what with my fake modsquad update all...
    You see I was trying to do a real one but it was just boring so I made them up instead and now the rest of the mods are trying to be cool like me.

Atleast thats what my therapist tells me...

16. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    Guys, come on.....enough up-in-arms accusations about the "inside jokes." Please note: I do not have colors, and I managed to get the jokes made in this week's update because I get around the boards and actually pay attention.

Would you all like your mods to have stiff upper lips and display no humanity or humor whatsoever? I think you would find much more to complain about were that the case.

Lighten up people. Remember....the mods are not obligated to tell us what goes on in their weekly discussions - the updates are made as a courtesy. And after this latest hassle you have all given them over simple humor, I would not be surprised it they were hesitant to continue the practice.

17. DUSHONI

DUSHONI Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2001
    Happy? Did I leave any possible jokes out? I fail to see how these are all "inside jokes".

WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?? YOU MODS WITH YOU INSIDE LINGO!!! 8-}

18. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Since when is humour a crime? I can understand that people think the mods are being a bit flippant, but when you're reporting on relatively boring stuff (most of it, anyway - congratulations, DL and mj!), why not give it a little spice? There's no harm in it if the mods are still doing the work they were conscripted to do. ;)

19. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Ok, as I said, humor is definitely a good thing in the Mod Squad updates. And had I known my post was going to cause all sorts of ruckus, I wouldn't have said anything, because it's really just not worth it.

Amazing.

20. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Personally, I love mod squad humor. I got a lot of the jokes in this update and I'm a lowly Feb 02.

I support humor in these updates and would be disappointed to not get any.

In fact, if a mod ever wants help writing the update they can PM me.

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.