Mod Squad Update for the week ending September 08, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grilled-Sarlacc, Sep 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus

star 5
  2. Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Master

star 6

You seem to forget that the Administration is doing the JC a favor by coming to the Advisory Council at all. They don't need us to sign off on it before they do it. As much as anything, they use us to prepare them for the reactions they'll get when/if they do enact a new policy.

We discussed the policies, and most of us made our recommendations. Many mods contributed to the discussion as well -- both agreeing with us on occasion and clarifying questions that we had. Now they need to decide how they are going to use the feedback they got from us. The ball is in their court now. We've had our say. If they want to run it by us one more time, then that is their perogative. But the decision lies solely with them at this point.

Didn't you already know that?

AYBABTU?

3. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well, I know that the mods should intially discuss it and figure out a policy they want to move forward with.

They take it to the AC for discussion. You guys say what you like and dont like. You guys give ideas and suggestions about how to improve.

Yes, it is then up to them to do with that as they please.

The better move wouldnt be to take it away and discuss amongst themselves and come up with a policy that they like but needs your input all over again.
    The better move, would be to find a mutually acceptable position that they can share with the members, and move forward with that.

No doubt, they can take things back to the modsquad and go over it again, and then bring it to you...multiple iterations of the same process.

The more efficient way would simply be keep it in the AC....discuss it there, find this middleground that everyone finds acceptable.

Same endpoint, less beating around the bush.

EDIT: As you said, the ball is in their court, not the AC, AYBABTU. I 100% agree with you.

My point is that it is more efficient of them to not take it away and play with it by themselves.
  4. Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Master

star 6

Well, the more efficient way would be to skip the AC completely and just implement.

I'm glad that they brought this issue before us at all, and trust me, all of you should be as well. I don't think their proposal to "make it so that only Valyn can make threads without moderator approval" was such a great idea.

AYBABTU?

5. AlienAcid Jedi Knight

star 6
    -The images may be swapped, deliberately or otherwise, for something offensive, and then every one of that member's posts will contain said offensive image.

I guess I made an important point without thinkin about it heh
  6. JangoFettClone Jedi Padawan

star 4
  7. shinjo_jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    Wonderful Job Grilled-Sarlacc :D

And Congradulations to The Gatherer :D
  8. Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin

star 6
    Thanks all you guys! Maybe we should do this again sometime. :D
  9. JediStryker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What does Grilled-Sarlacc taste like, anyway?

I have kind of a stupid question. It has never really occured to me to look in the AC thread, and I was under the assumption that we couldn't. Is that true, or can everyday, lonely, sorry-excuses and internet junkies like myself look in on it too?
  10. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Chicken. Sarlacc on the grill has the distinct taste of chicken.
  11. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "It has never really occured to me to look in the AC thread, and I was under the assumption that we couldn't. Is that true, or can everyday, lonely, sorry-excuses and internet junkies like myself look in on it too?"

It's a private board. Us regular folk ain't allowed. They just point at us and yell, "Unclean!"

"Thanks all you guys! Maybe we should do this again sometime."

It was magical, wasn't it?

Amazing.
  12. JediStryker Jedi Padawan

star 4
  13. shinjo_jedi Jedi Master

star 5
    It was magical, wasn't it?

Yes, yes it was :p
  14. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    They just point at us and yell, "Unclean!"

Oh, now I understand...it's not just me. :p

Great update GS, thanks. :)

15. Jedi_Ben_Skywalker Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I have a question- if the AC cannot be seen by the average Joe, what makes them different from the mos, other than the fact that they do not have mod privledges. Basically it is the same as the Mod Squad- no user input, and just a few more opinions.

And those opinions dont even have any weight.

Seems pointless. And yes, I am ignorant. But this is my first com's post. Be gentle.
  16. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight

star 5
    The difference is that several of the AC members are rotated out in 3 months, and brand new people brought in. This is done to help ensure the "Average Joe/Jane poster"'s opinion can be represented. The idea is to prevent the members from losing their perspective on what it is like to be on our side of the private boards. They also don't have the burden of patrolling for TOS violations, so they have more time and attention to devote to policy issues.

The AC members are also very willing and anxious for other members to contact them with topics for them to bring up and discuss amongst themselves and with the mods. They all had mentions of this in their sigs, and now they have titles so they can be more easily identified.
  17. Mara-Jade-Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 5
    Nice update. ;)

"VIII. Annoying Website Hacker of the Week"
    [face_laugh]
  18. Valiowk Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, I hope that more action will be taken soon, instead of just continuing with plain discussion on, on and on. It's no good to say that there's discussion going on if we are unable to see any results at the end simply because one party is unhappy with it.

Good update there, Grilled-Sarlacc (maybe it was because your first statement made us lower our expectations ;) and so of course it seems much better :D ). Try your hand at another one! :)
  19. Cypher18 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Hmm.

Gone off me a bit, haven't you?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.