Mod Squad Update for the week ending September the First

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Liz Skywalker, Sep 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I agree.. we hardly need a replay of what happened last year vis-a-vis AT60 and others with an "anti-American" slant.

Maybe someone could find the threads from last Sept 11th and up them, or find here they are archived...
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Good luck, Griff. And watch those moose - they're big, but wiley.
  3. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Wonderful Update Liz :)

And its sad to see you go, and I hope its for only alittle while, Griff [face_plain]
  4. Red_Oktobur Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Teh GrippZ is leafing? :eek: :eek: :_| Even though we don't agree on much, or disagree on much, or talk much ;), hurry up and kick some moose butt and get back here :p

Thanks for the update, Liz.
  5. ElfStar Jedi Master

star 4
    Remember:

-The only good moose is a dead moose.

-Only you can prevent Mooses.

-Moose 2: Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the zoo...

-I love moose. They taste great!

-Moose. The other white meat.

-So many moose, so few recipes.

-Of Men and Moose.
  6. Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I would just like to state that I would like to reserve my right to post a goodbye thread when I leave for a 2 year mission to not Ireland but the Dominican Republic, where I will actually have to learn a new language. ;) :p

At least it wasn't Billings Montana or Bosie Idaho. :p
  7. mac-nut Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    is griffz leaving to do a mission? will he be gone 2 years??? :_| :_| :_|
  8. Tayschrenn Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the update Liz.

Tayschrenn
  9. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The reform proposal targets birthday threads, "post plateau" threads, the multitude of relationship threads, leaving/back threads, posting with the intent to derail a conversation, insensitive posts in 'death of a person' or a 'tragic event' threads, a possible reformation on the policy of anniversary threads, "+1" posting, "beat the lock" posts, and, of course, social threads.

Good...some idea of what you are discussing.

Birthday threads...if there are too many, perhaps a weekly thread that has all the birthdays for the upcoming week?

Post plateau threads...I'm not sure exactly what this refers to...can you please elaborate?

The multitude of relationship threads? Well, I wouldnt support an official thread. If this happens, you are likely to have members posting their problems, and then being ignored while a different problem is discussed. The member would then start posting the problem again and again, or else just start posting the problem as a seperate topic...and fights will break out ("there is an official thread", "Yeah, but noone will help, so I'm posting it here" blah blah blah)

Leaving/back threads....if it isnt significant, dont have a thread. Dont start a thread unless you have a significant message to send to your fellow members.

Posting with the intent to derail a conversation. This shouldnt be allowed. But at the same time, there should be a distinction between those that intend to derail (ie, purposeful), and those that accidently have it happen.

Insensitive posting...well, you cant stop a person being rude, so long as they dont flame. Perhaps members need to show a bit of respect for others in this instance. You cant, however, force a person to show respect. The other part is for people to just ignore someone trying to make trouble.

Anniversary threads? Well, I guess this is somewhat like birthday threads...if there arent that many, leave them be...if there are too many, have a weekly thread.

+1 is worthless spam. Warn a member for individual cases. Spank a repeat offender. There is no need to do it.

Beat the lock posts...well, its nothing special...maybe when people do this, the mods can just delete these posts...that way the person gets nothing out of their posting?

Social threads...well, you've seen a lot of my comments all over the place. My latest thoughts are to scrap all existing social groups and threads. You can then start maybe 6 new social group threads....but these will have no affiliation to any existing threads.

This way people can have their groups. This way all current groups are treated absolutely equally.

Additionally, perhaps all the social groups threads can have a 1000 post limit? That way they can keep vibrant and open for new members...

Cant agree more. Purjury is against the law in real life...so why not here too?

Uhhh, since when is the Census forum supposed to be about games?

I can assure you, I am shaking in my boots as we speak :p
  10. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    A Moose once bit my sister...No really! She was carving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...

;)

Cool update though! And great misquote. :D

LittleJedi
  11. Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Post plateau threads...I'm not sure exactly what this refers to...can you please elaborate?

You know, "I have 2,312 posts! My life is complete! Worship me!" type threads. ;)
  12. Valiowk Chosen One

star 6
    Thanks for the update there. Nice to see it covering all the areas that we're concerned about (except OZK ;) ).

birthday threads
    - as previously mentioned, maybe a weekly birthday thread if the situation gets bad? I see nothing really wrong with the current system where JCers just post for their friends, though, so I don't think any changes should be made unless it gets out of hand.

"post plateau" threads
    - not sure what you mean, if it's referring to the 5000, 10000 marks etc., since SotS mentioned some while ago that there's really nothing wrong with such long threads (at least from the technical perspective), why not just leave them to be?

the multitude of relationship threads
    - I wouldn't support an official thread, 'coz there are bound to be lots of posts which are missed and members complaining that nobody sees them. Also, there may be confusion over whose problem someone is answering to.

leaving/back threads
    - Well, unless you're leaving for quite a long time, or are back from a long absence, I guess we could generally advise JCers not to start threads about this. No use just mentioning a 2 week break.

posting with the intent to derail a conversation
    - Clearly, this shouldn't be allowed. But the admins have to be careful over whether this was accidental or not, otherwise it may result in some misunderstandings.

Just my $0.02 for now.
  13. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ahh, thanks DDH.

For those 'I have X posts' threads....well, unless its something major, such as a multiple of 5K, then no threads. And if there is a thread started, it isnt up to everyone else ot start saying 'well, I have so and so amount of posts". No.

Uhhh, about anniversary threads...I think I was on the completely wrong track with what you guys all meant.

If it is the "I have been here X years" threads...well, as I just said for number of post threads...only if it is a significant number. that means whole years, and not for less than 2. That is, 2, 3, 4 years..not 6 month, not 1 year, not 1.5 years.

There arent that many people that are around for 2 years or more, and want threads. So there wont be that many threads so as to offend many people.

Just so long as its 2 years and over, otherwise you open the JCC up to many many more threads.
  14. Just_A_Slacker Jedi Youngling

star 4
    What exactly constitutes a "Problem User"? Is it someone who just trolls and spams or is it someone who also points out the stupidity in administration decisions and/or hypocritical actions of the mods?

15. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    or hypocritical actions of the mods

recent example?
  16. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    In addition to the types of Community threads under discussion for the forbidden list, I'd like to add threads about:

watched user lists

mod color combinations

funniest/coolest/most popular icon
  17. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
  18. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    for halloween you should delete YJCC for like an hour. that would probably scare people!
  19. Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod

star 6
    for halloween you should delete YJCC for like an hour. that would probably scare people!

and do none of us any good. [face_plain]

:p

Is it someone who just trolls and spams or is it someone who also points out the stupidity in administration decisions and/or hypocritical actions of the mods?

definatly the former.
  20. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "Posting with the intent to derail a conversation. This shouldnt be allowed. But at the same time, there should be a distinction between those that intend to derail (ie, purposeful), and those that accidently have it happen."

That's a hell of a point. A lot of times an offhand comment in a thread will sidetrack the thread briefly. That's hardly derailing.

Amazing.
  21. keokiswahine Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    sometimes derailment is good, especially if it stops a collision looking for a place to happen. :D
  22. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    In addition to the types of Community threads under discussion for the forbidden list, I'd like to add threads about:

watched user lists

mod color combinations

funniest/coolest/most popular icon

amen, Herman! i'm so sick of those type of threads.

DarthTunick,
    you can't ignore the San Fernando Valley!
  23. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

Starting a thread that asks for people to add you to their WUL should be a permbannable offense.

24. shinjo_jedi Force Ghost

star 5
  25. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I agree with shinjo on this (does this count as an "issue" ?[face_plain] ) issue
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.