main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week of April 2-8

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Bria, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

If ill actions are taken toward a member of the JC at the JC, then the Administration has an obligation to act, regardless of where the intent to do ill was developed.

Not a tough concept at all, really.

AYBABTU?

2. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    My lord, it's a message board about Star Wars.

I completely agree about that..

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Add me to the "Off boards is off boards"... there are a few places I go to let off steam about TF.N... I don't want to feel like I have to watch what I say because Big Brother is watching me...

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Right. But, to make it clear, I don't believe that's even remotely the kind of thing we're interested in dealing with.

Fundamentally, we're dealing with an inappropriate thread and inappropriate posts which were made here. If your various case studies and examples don't take that into account, then I don't think it's applicable.

Hopefully everyone's private stomping grounds are safe. I'd lose all respect for someone who takes it upon themselves to go out of their way to become the "secret police" for an anonymous internet message board for the sole purpose of "getting" someone.

Honest gestures made in good faith to help the community with problems should be appreciated, but that's a far cry away from someone becoming a self-appointed internet gestapo.

5. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Someone mentioned a broken record earlier, and it reminded me of something.

Is there any chance of discussing the possibility of having a dedicated mod for Communications, or is that out of the question?

6. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    (i'm assuming you mean dictate)

I ran for CR on a campaign of mispelling, and promised, if elected, I'd keep misspelling. Not about to change that now 8-}

the administration, through their administrativenessness and input from the membership (i would hope), dictate jc policy.

And thus it is up to the administration to decide what is inadmissionable, not the JC masses.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    So stryphe the administration should be able to do whatever they want?

This is a view often espoused by the administration.

8. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    stryphe, you missed the part where i said and input from the membership (i would hope). i doubt any sensible person believes that the administration should and does decide things without taking into consideration the input from the membership.

9. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

"So stryphe the administration should be able to do whatever they want?"

Josh and those with a vested interest in the JC should be able to do whatever they want. Their proxies, the Administration, can control who posts at the JC and the content of those posts. It's his house. He's "hired" people to take care of it for him. What he says goes.

Now, obviously he has to allow certain things to go on here. It's not in his interests to have all Jews or blacks or Christians or girls banned from the site. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to restrict the possible comments by all parties here to only positive, nurturing commentary. He can do it if he wants, and he can have his proxies carry out that plan. But he would lose a substantial number of visitors because of it.

But maybe it is in his best interests to restrict trolls from the JC. Maybe it is in his best interests to have certain people banned simply because they consistently and constantly post nothing but tripe in this Comms forum. Maybe it's in his best interests to have his proxies deal with actually making the boards a better place rather than repeatedly having to deal with bitter trolls who mete out their personal agendas and vendettas at the JC. When people disrupt the JC, regardless of whether or not the particular offense is specifically addressed in some silly TOS, it is at the discretion of Josh and his proxies to deal with the situation.

So yes, they can do whatever they want. That should be tempered by the awareness of and an appreciation for what is best for the JC.

AYBABTU?

10. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I just have to interject and post two things.

First:
    Don't you think that receiving a chat log is violating the people's privacy that were in the chat? I am just talking about person to person here. I say many things in that chat that are for a select group of friends to hear. I honestly don't want others reading it. I know, in this case, the chat in specific is relevant to the determination of what the banning was to be labeled, but still.... I don't think it's necessary to have everyone read it.

Fortunately, I am under the impression that this chat log is not just available for everyone to see. (my personal conclusion) If what I said affects the way my actions were interpreted, I understand that can be used in the Mod Squad. But I said many many many other things in that chat, serious and not, that I don't want other people seeing, because I was not speaking with the intent that they would see it. I am just asking that the chat is kept to only the people and few moderators directly involved(or that need to become involved) in the situation, and I think that's fair.

Second:
    My lord, it's a message board about Star Wars.
    Alright. It really upsets me when people say this stuff. Look, I am pretty sure that every single person on these boards fully realizes it's a message board about Star Wars, it's not necessary to point it out. Also, it makes you sound like you think everyone in this thread that cares remotely about any issue is an idiot. You need to realize, as well, that every user on these boards is involved to a different degree on these boards, and that the JC means different things to different people. You have no idea what that person's life is like. Online, it may just be a message board, but relationships develop, and just because you don't care at all, doesn't mean others don't. Everyone who posts here cares to some degree, otherwise they wouldn't bother logging on and posting. There is a very large social aspect to the JC, that some people just don't comprehend, or experience. I have met people on these boards that I genuinely consider to be friends, and I care about what happens to them. That being said, if tomorrow suddenly I never had internet access ever again, I most certainly would not die. I have a real life, and a rather good one, I think, with people that love me. But just because I have a "life" doesn't mean I can't care about what happens on these message boards. As long as you keep things in perspective, it's fine to care. I really think "informing us" that it's the internet and we shouldn't care is pointless, and almost condescending, as it makes it look like their is no other viewpoint but your own.

EDIT: this second thing actually is not an insult to PoT in any way.... to tell you the truth, I didn't even see who origionally posted it, I read it from Kyp's repeat of it. I am just speaking in general, as I have seen people say this to many other users all over the boards.

11. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    AYABATU, what is it called when the police forces do not have to follow the rules they're enforcing?

That is what you're suggesting right? That it's more important to quash trouble then have equal standards for everyone here?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

12. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    AYABATU, what is it called when the police forces do not have to follow the rules they're enforcing?

It's not a police force, it's a group of volunteer moderators on a Star Wars forum. Huge difference. In fact, it's not even comparable.

The Mods are required to behave in a certain manner that is established by the site owner. We are also subject to certain behavior, though it can be quite different depending on the rules that are enforced.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    How long does this discussion have to go in circles before the thread is locked?

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Most of the rules here weren't made by the Staff they were made by the mods.

They make the rules and they enforce them but some of the members here don't appear to want the mods to have to follow the same rules.

Edit// Strilo Will you please refrain from posting unless you want to be involved in the discussion, otherwise you're spamming communications which is punishable by banning and if anything else is clear from this thread the mods have no sense of proportion where that is concerned.

15. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    They make the rules and they enforce them but some of the members here don't appear to want the mods to have to follow the same rules.

Well it's a rather good thing that these members neither create or enforce these rules then isn't it?

16. farraday

Jan 27, 2000

I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

Mods should follow the same rules as the members and they should not create new rules just to be able to 'get someone' nor ignore rules to do that same.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Stating that this discussion is going in circles IS participating in the discussion. If a Mod feels otherwise and feels I was spamming, let them tell me farraday. You are not a Mod and it is not your place.

That having been said, I feel the valid issues brought up in this thread are already being discussed by the Mod Squad. I think 19 pages about this situation is enough to get an idea of how the users involved, and many who were not, feel about the situation. I am not sure what more good can come out of letting this go on and on.

18. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    So suggesting you're spamming isn't valid but you saying this thread should be locked is valid?

If one is a member pretending to be a mod then the other is, and at the very least I've got experience on my side.

This discussion is on a broader topic right nwo then it was four pages ago, the discussion ahs evolved into the question over if mods should be subject to the rules.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    the discussion ahs evolved into the question over if mods should be subject to the rules.

I see you trying to derail this Mod Squad Update thread into yet another debate over something you feel like ranting about. I see no Mod or anyone else suggested that Mods should not be subject to the rules. I've also never once seen a mod ACT like they did not have to follow the rules. I also see nothing about this subject in the original post in this thread, so it seems off topic to me.

20. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    It's my opinion that all people should be subject to the same rules and standards. However, I think there are two caveats to this way of thinking.

1)I think Mods should be held to a higher standard because they directly represent TFN.

2)If individuals have a history of troublemaking, they should be watched closer, but not to the point where they are treated unfairly.

21. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    I think we could use a lesson today from the new JCC Update :) I realize this is not the JCC, but I am sure this still applies here, seeing as how this forum is much more strictly regulated.

[blockquote][b]Posting Of ?Lock This? Type Posts: [/b][li]Posting things such as: ?+1?, ?lock this?, ?this is spam?, and anything that can be construed as this type of post, is not allowed. [/li][li] Any posts like this will be deleted, and a PM will be sent to the poster. Doing this will lead to a warning, and then to a ban. [/li][li]If you feel that a thread is spam, please contact a forum moderator and let them handle it. [/li][/blockquote]
    [hr]
    Also, strilo, you may be participating in the discussion, but you are not adding anything to it by posts like that. It's not constructive, and if you really do feel this should be locked, it's better to discuss it with a moderator in PMs.

And as far as this being off topic, It's not really off topic, it's just a little sideways. If the mods want, they will lock it and ask that a new thread will be started specifically for the purpose of discussing these issues. I think it's close enough to the origional issue (the 6 bannings that resulted from the thread made in comms) that it's ok here.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nevermind

23. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    there is no reason for this thread to be locked. is this thread breaking any rules? obviously, no. has the thread degenerated into a bruhaha (sp?)? no. is this thread violating the TOS in any way? obviously not. there is no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to continue expressing their opinions/thoughts here, even if things seem a bit circular at times.

24. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    First off, speaking for myself, I looked at the posts in question when thinking about whether or not bans were appropriate. Yes, I knew that certain members were members of an offshoot board, but it would be hard for me not to know that. ;) I didn't take that into account. I just looked at what was posted in the thread here.

"Fortunately, I am under the impression that this chat log is not just available for everyone to see"

droideka, you are correct. I haven't seen the chat log in question (nor do I really want to). It isn't posted in the MS for everyone to see, and I doubt that it will be.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Whoa! What a big update this is in terms of replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.