main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update for the week of April 2-8

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Bria, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    That's true, most of that stuff happens in chats.

How am I showing bias? Do you think I like to ban people who I used to (or still do) consider friends? No, I don't. But rules are rules.

Edit:
    "Jeff.. you can guess all you want, and that's fine, but certain Base members were sent screenshots..."

It's a shame these people don't forward that information on to others, to help plug any sort of leaks that there may be. Instead, they'd rather use it for their own crusade.

2. deepbluejedi

deepbluejedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2002
    I agree that being a DB member is almost like a big red bullseye for a ban no matter what you say. I was banned not too long ago for calling someone a "dolt". No warning...no nothing....just a ban. Apparently it was some kind of flame although no profanity or anything obscene was said. But being a DB member, I feel as if we're targeted and judged just a little more harshly than the "average poster".

3. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    That's true, most of that stuff happens in chats.

Even if it does, things that happen off the JC cannot be reasons for a banning ON the JC, besides things like signing admins up for spam, or fake linking.

How am I showing bias? Do you think I like to ban people who I used to (or still do) consider friends? No, I don't. But rules are rules.

There are some who didn't seem to mind doing just that. And where does it say in the rules that your first "offense" is a 48 hour spank (and in one case a de-VIP)?

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There are a lot of moderators like myself who don't even know who's a Base member, or ever take that into account.

Even if you were targeted because of your status as a DB member by some moderators, there are just as many (if not more) who know you as nothing but a JC member.

and in one case a de-VIP

That's a technical point. You have to be demoted in order to be banned.

5. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    "Even if it does, things that happen off the JC cannot be reasons for a banning ON the JC, besides things like signing admins up for spam, or fake linking."

or coordinated trolling.

"And where does it say in the rules that your first "offense" is a 48 hour spank (and in one case a de-VIP)?"

Where in the rules does it say that your first "offense" is a warning? Also, the de-VIP was only temporary, for while the ban was in effect. As you can see, the person in question is a VIP again.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Have any of you protesting this whole thing re-read the new rules for Comms as the Mod Squad Update suggests? Seems to me they are cracking down on being sarcastic and anything even remotely resembling a flame. That means veiled flames and borderline flames as well.

And wow I have to say I am concerned that DB members were sent screen shots of the Mod Squad. Is that what is being said?

7. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    It's a shame these people don't forward that information on to others, to help plug any sort of leaks that there may be. Instead, they'd rather use it for their own crusade.

As I believe you well know, that already WAS done, but basically not even a "Thank you" was issued to the person. Instead, she was accused of planning coordinated trolling and banned...

8. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh geez, get over yourselves.

People were in a chatroom making plans to get out there and bait and flame other members. They then took it into Communications, and made a thread with said baits and flames.

Each member knew what they were doing was against the rules. Each member went and did it anyway.

This has nothing to do with being DBers. It has everything to do with being members that went into a chat and decided to come to the JC and bait and flame people. The same punishments would have been handed out to any group of people that we knew were trolling in this manner.
    Had these people not been DBers, but were in the chat and taking part in the trolling, then they would have gotten the same punishments.

And this 'they deleted the thread' crap. It was up for quite a while for anyone to see. Removal of the thread from the public view, doesnt mean that the offenses never occurred. Its like a person cleaning up after a crime. Once the cops have come in and looked at the scene, it can then be cleaned up.

Get over yourselves. If you break the rules, you get punished. Stop trying to be martyrs, saying you're taking the fall for belonging to the Base. Well guess what, so was I for a while. It never counted against me, because I didnt break the rules.

And thats what it comes down to. Dont break the rules, and you wont get in trouble.

9. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    People were in a chatroom making plans to get out there and bait and flame other members. They then took it into Communications, and made a thread with said baits and flames.

What are you basing this on?

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    There are a lot of moderators like myself who don't even know who's a Base member, or ever take that into account.

You'll forgive me, but I find that a little hard to believe based on the recent banning spree of a few admins who have made known their disdain for the DB.

11. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Discussion is currently underway in regards to a new moderator for the fan art boards.

I look forward to hearing or on this topic as the Mod Squad updates are posted. :) and I wish that new moderator the best of luck!

12. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    You'll forgive me, but I find that a little hard to believe based on the recent banning spree of a few admins who have made known their disdain for the DB.

A couple of points to that.

First, there truly are moderators who don't know many Base members (and generally don't take such things into account).

Second, even if some moderators have expressed their disdain for some members, one would hope that such moderators would remain objective, even in light of their personal feelings. I think it's safe to say all of us here have our likes and dislikes (about people and other things), and we don't suddenly stop having those when we're promoted.

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    foxbatkllr I would not be concerned with this: "People were in a chatroom making plans to get out there and bait and flame other members" as much as I would be concerned with this: "They then took it into Communications, and made a thread with said baits and flames."

THAT is the issue here on the JC and the reason people were banned. Again I refer you all to the new rules for the Communications forum in the Improving Communications thread.

14. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    See below.

IT WASN'T A FLAME.

15. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    nevermind

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nevermind as well.

17. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    On further thought, seeing as how I really haven't seen AC5 in action, and would be basing my judgement off of nothing, I wish to retract the preceding statements.

18. SRB_Jedi_Knight

SRB_Jedi_Knight Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I saw the thread in question. In my opinion I didn't find anything wrong with it other than the fact that it was posted in Comms.

I didn't think there was anything remotely linked to flaming other members. Yes, there was some sarcasm, but who isn't around here at least part of the time.

Tracy is the Vice-CR for the OC Fanforce. She understands the OC Fanforce rules and our Code of Conduct. After seeing her posts in that thread and knowing her personally as I do because of the position she holds. I find it very hard if not impossible to believe that she would be involved in something that was discussed and premeditated with the intent shown in this update. Furthermore, if anything I felt that a warning would have been the correct thing to do in her instance. I cannot say anything in regards to the others as I do not know them.

19. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    foxbatkllr, you tell me where you guys get your MS info from ("I know what goes on in the modsquad"), and I'll tell you where I get my chatroom info from.

Either way, we've been made aware of the goings on of the chat. That is what I am basing the premeditated part of the trolling on.

20. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Again, I repeat, how is saying someone should or shouldn't be a mod a flame?

21. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Dagsy, you know who to talk to in regards to leak(s) on both ends.

22. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I didn't think there was anything remotely linked to flaming other members. Yes, there was some sarcasm, but who isn't around here at least part of the time.

Question for you (and for anyone wants to answer it).

What was the point of that thread, and the point of it being in Communications (a place to discuss real and serious issues)?

As far as droideka goes, she's been an outstanding member, and I don't think this one situation should tarnish what she's contributed so far.

Again, I repeat, how is saying someone should or shouldn't be a mod a flame?

Consider the context, which relates to my question. What was the point of the thread, and why was it in Communications?

23. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I'm not going to take the low road and say they you think the others are lousy members, because you didn't mention them.

So... why was she banned, if she is a great member, and has contributed tons. Why not a warning?

24. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not going to take the low road and say they you think the others are lousy members, because you didn't mention them.

If you're not going to take that road, why did you say it anyway?

I spoke positively of one person, and that doesn't by extension mean I speak negatively of everyone else. Please don't create an implication where none exists.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001

But you DID say that, so you DID take the low road.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.