Mod Squad Update for the week of April 2-8

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Bria, Apr 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. lori71 Jedi Master

star 4
    Congrats, DS!!!! :)

Being a parent, IMHO, is the most important and most fulfilling job in the world. Enjoy!
  2. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Thanks and I agree. She is our second child.
  3. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Thanks and I agree. She is our second child.

Congrats DarthSapient! I wish your family the best! :)
  4. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

I think you missed a few threads on the second page.

5. JediWarriorsSocks Jedi Master

star 1
    I'm a little confused, since being banned for posting something best summed up as a 'Saccharine-sticky-sweet thread, that sardonically referred to other JCers', now, I personally think that's a load of crap. I agree, it was tongue-in-cheek, it was humorous, it was the equivilent of political satire, something akin to "Ralph Nader Wins Election!". But if the administration honestly thinks that that constitutes a blow to civility on the boards, and should be limited, that we should not be allowed to poke fun at others around here, so be it.

I don't think I should have been banned for it, nor do I think anybody else who does the same thing in the future be banned for it. But I'm not the administration here, now am I? Its not up to me to decide what is, and isn't allowed on the boards, I just sit here and apply the TOS given to me. And it is decreed now that "saccharine-sweet sarcasm" promoting another user, while really just as a sarcastic way of pointing out things about them is 'veiled flaming', so be it.

Now, if anybody on these boards should be expected to live up to, and be held accountable to, these terms, its surely people like AYBABTU, who are given positions of power, and its assumed they'd never stoop so low as to pull that 'horrendous' act of saccharine-sweet sarcasm. Alack, I log in after being banned for saying something sticky-sweet and find a PM addressed to me *about* that sticky-sweet thread that violated the TOS, from him reading;

Now, I'm no legal genius...but isn't that a carbon-copy of what I said about YoungJedi, AT60, GayLen, and AYBABTU himself? ?[face_plain] If not plagarism, then its identical in scope to what I did, it was a saccharine-sweet response to something I did on the JC. OMG!!11!!1!! Teh Drama!11!!1 :eek:

Now, there really are only two possible solutions here, either deal with AYBABTU the same way I was dealt with for the same offence (Since my allegiance to offboard messageboards, and his status as an AC member shouldn't be taken into account when decreeing what is, and what isn't, against the TOS surely), which was a 1 week ban. Or else scrap this whole notion of "Anything remotely sarcastic is against the rules", apologize to the complete list of DBers banned for posting sticky-sweet crap, and move on.

I'd prefer we move on, and just abandon this rule of "DBers are not allowed to mention the following people; [x][y] and [z]" or "Sarcasm is a bannable offence", and get back to being normal...please? ?[face_plain]

Amazing edit: You're not allowed to post Private Message conversations without the other party's permission.
  6. AmazingB Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Now, there really are only two possible solutions here, either deal with AYBABTU the same way I was dealt with for the same offence (Since my allegiance to offboard messageboards, and his status as an AC member shouldn't be taken into account when decreeing what is, and what isn't, against the TOS surely), which was a 1 week ban. Or else scrap this whole notion of "Anything remotely sarcastic is against the rules", apologize to the complete list of DBers banned for posting sticky-sweet crap, and move on.

Sarcasm is not, nor has it ever been a bannable offense. Flaming and trolling are. Even the most mild of flames in Comms get a minimum 24-48 hours.

Amazing.
  7. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Ummm...sarcasm was sure as heck a bannable offense a couple weeks ago...or maybe just whenever it's convenient.
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Incorrect. The bans were related to the content of the posts (ie. insulting people), not the sarcastic delivery style, as has been mentioned time and time again in this thread.

All the while the irrelevant 'sarcasm' angle has been repeated over and over by those have not take on board what has been written regarding the incident by the administration.
  9. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Even the most mild of flames in Comms get a minimum 24-48 hours.

There have been more than a couple of cases in the past couple days where it would appear this "zero tolerance" policy be enforced, yet, it has not.
    While this may be policy in words, I have yet (with one sweeping exception) seen the policy in action. Perhaps this policy should be consistently enforced for everyone?
  10. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Hopefully now with our 2 comms mods back on deck, this will happen. :)

11. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

Sorry, JW, but you're way off Base.

Number one, the ludicrous statement that I have some position of e-power here is just that, ludicrous. Though your assessment does betray the real reason many of you Basers seem obsessed with perpetually attacking me here -- you perceive that I have something you do not. Of course, that's false, but when did truth come into play with many of the Basers? All some of you need is to be told what to do, and you do it. Oh, there are some Basers who are fine, fine people, but they're not the ones that concern themselves with constant attempts at character assassination in Comms. They just participate in the chats and make legitimate posts all over the JC. They aren't the problem, just as I and others weren't the problem before we left the Base. The only real difference in us and them is that we realized the direction in which the underlying current at the Base was leading. We realized that there are elements there who simply want to disrupt the JC and harrass others. I can't count all the times I just had to "walk out" of a chat because it was full of petty, unsubstantiated nonsense about GLK. Many people there hate her with a passion, though I know not exactly why. Heck, she and I are hardly best pals, but I don't make it a mission to bother her and drive her away from the JC.

I've seen allusions to how many of you speak ill of YoungJedi in chats. I know you people don't like AT60. Heck, had we not shared that mutual position, I don't think I ever would have ended up associated with Tessa in the first place.

But I know that the Base, if thought of in collective terms for the purposes of this post, has a problem with those people. I certainly know that I have been harrassed time and time again in this forum by Basers and their cronies. I've since gotten some apologies even. But the attacks continue. The defamation continues. The questioning of my motives continues. When I saw my name mentioned with those others, I knew what you were doing, and so did anyone else who pays even the slightest bit of attention.

By the time I found the thread, it was locked. It seemed that it was locked more for it being another "nomination" thread than for what it really was -- another attack on users that many within the Base have targetted. I didn't know if any bans had been carried out. I didn't even care.

But I did notice that Abner_Doon started the thread. I found this a bit odd, since I do not remember him beng involved even in the slightest with the falling out at the Base that led to the departures of many. I wondered what I had done to JediWarrior to warrant such an attack, as I can't recall ever having a big run-in with him at the JC.

Then I saw how so many Basers had posted their "endorsement" of the choices. A couple went so far as to single me out as an especially good choice. Since new mods had just been selected in the JCC, they of course all knew what they were doing. It distressed me, though it did not surprise me, that the mods had yet again allowed such an attack to stand in Comms. It wasn't until later that the thread was locked and punishment administered.

I did send a PM to Abner_Doon. In his own style, I "thanked" him for his endorsement. Also, I sarcastically suggested that obviously his choice to start the thread was all his own doing. Of course, it was a gang effort. In his own style, I let it be known that I was aware of their games.

Now, what is the difference? Mine was not intended to be a disruption to the JC. Indeed, had the words of his post been sincere, they would not have warranted a ban. But the ban was warranted based on the intent to publically defame users in Comms. The effort was coordinated and pointed. Mine was just a "I saw that." At the time, I simply believed that the Administration had again failed to act decisively in the face of such blatant actions in Comms. It wasn't until I noticed that my PM to Doon had gone unread for a
  12. Tessa Jedi Youngling

Thank you Rhett.. your post has provided me the extra irony we women need.... [face_plain]
  13. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    You people keep saying "irony". I do not think it means what you think it means...
  14. JediStrider Jedi Master

star 3

Wow, that was a long read. But besides making yourself out to be a saint, it did little else.

Are you telling us that you did not make fun of anyone while at the Base? You didn't start any of those famous flame threads? Of course you did, but that's not the issue here, is it? Then why bring it up?

People at the Base let off steam, make fun of the people who annoy them at the JC and what not. The issue here is not wether or not the people in the thread were disliked by base members, but wether the sarcasm in the thread warranted a ban. In your opinion, it did. By that standard, your PM is also punishable. Just because you dropped to middle school level antics and "got him back," so to speak, doesn't mean that it's not an offense.

And the whole business of why you left the Base has nothing to do with this. We realize that you like to think the people at the Base hold you up as our ultimate target, but I'm sorry, it just isn't true. The newer members of the Base know hardly anything about the Great Exodus, so they would have no reason to dislike you (other than your obvious arrogance). As for me personally, I've always found your posts to be rather well written and interesting, even when you are just blowing your own horn. Had you not attacked our members, I wouldn't even be responding. Because you see, I don't care about you or any of the others that left. I care about our current members, the people who make the Base the fun place it is. When they are attacked, I feel it's an attack on me as well. And that is why I'm responding, regardless of what you'd like to think. Geez, your right, the base is full of heartless trolls who do nothing but spam Comms.

And speaking of your sainthood, if the Base was going downhill for so long, why did you and the others wait until someone essentially called you on something to leave? If your morals went against what went on at the Base so much, why did it take a public questioning of your methods to get you to leave?
  15. Darth_AYBABTU Force Ghost

star 6

"Had you not attacked our members, I wouldn't even be responding."

You know what? I mind my own damn business in here. Not once have I preemptively launched into a tirade against any member of your group. In every case -- every one -- either a direct or indirect reference to me has prompted any response I've made. Everytime.

I am accused of having this ridiculous e-influence that people keep citing.

I am accused of somehow using the Advisory Council to control JC policy.

Even when my name had been mentioned nowhere at all for JCC mod, members of the Base launched a campaign in Comms to defame me.

Tessa's very post in this forum that prompted the "Great Exodus" was later retracted by her. She posted a follow-up thread that admitted that her comments were false and made in an effort to disrupt the JC and cast aspersions on us.

JW's thread was an unwarranted and unsolicited attack on me and others.

In each case, I responded to those attacks. You think I'm attacking all of the Base? Guess what... I don't even know who the hell you are. I stated right in the middle of my post above that the comments were not meant for every member there. I stated that I was refering to the Base collectively for the sake of simplicity only. You take offense? Are you one of the ones I cited, because my comments were meant for a very distinct group? Wait... those people can't post their own comments, can they? Many of them are banned from the JC, for doing the things that I described above. The Administration doesn't believe it's acceptable, yet you defend them?

Like I said, I grow weary of playing these kids' games, but the ones who perpetuate this silliness don't seem to tire of it. Well, knock yourselves out. I will continue to refute the blatant lunacy, and I will continue to post at the JC just as I always have.

The numbers of those that would hassle me here at the JC seem to be dwindling. It would appear that finally the JC has also grown tired of it.

AYBABTU?

16. Qui Gon Jim23 Force Ghost

star 5
    I care about our current members, the people who make the Base the fun place it is. When they are attacked, I feel it's an attack on me as well. And that is why I'm responding, regardless of what you'd like to think. Geez, your right, the base is full of heartless trolls who do nothing but spam Comms.

If you're one of the members that has this amazing vendetta against the administration (and Rhett and GLK and Carter and whoever else is the flavor of the month -- Fate, Ariana, or whoever), then you should take offense, but from what I've seen of you I can't say as I'd expect you to be one of those. There are many people there that I consider good e-friends, though I believe they are misguided in staying, but the fact of the matter is there are some truly bad apples that control the majority of what goes on there.

And speaking of your sainthood, if the Base was going downhill for so long, why did you and the others wait until someone essentially called you on something to leave? If your morals went against what went on at the Base so much, why did it take a public questioning of your methods to get you to leave?

I can't speak for Rhett, but the reason I stayed so long was two-fold. First of all I still had good friends that were there in which the Base was the best place to converse one-to-one. Rhett never planned to come back, and only did so on my insistence (something that in hindsight I might have done differently -- namely never returning myself). Secondly, after the first big blowout, when Rhett and some others had returned, we felt that the Base was on the upswing. It was only once we were blindsided a couple of months ago that we realized the turmoil that was occurring underneath, something that those of us that had worked so hard to prevent realized could not be removed. I mean, the Latin in the Tessa sock's sig should make their purpose obvious.

In all reality I'd just as soon the Base make the flame forum public so that people could see just how little there is in that forum that matters. Plus, everybody would get to see me flame Katya and DOT -- I think they were works of art.

I realize that you didn't come to as many chats as some of the others Strider, that's why I feel I can understand your position, maybe being less in the loop than others.
  17. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Everyone please stay on topic.

This isn't a place to express our personal grudges.
    Discuss something relevant to the Update or don't post at all.
  18. Jotun Denal Force Ghost

star 6
    People, please remember why we're all here:

[image=http://www.toysrgus.com/images-kenst/prototype-starwarslogo.jpg]

Not:

[image=http://www.english.udel.edu/lrussell/drama.gif]

omg odiferous dumb mutant omglolo

^ Did you really need to do that Rhett?
  19. JediStrider Jedi Master

star 3

I don't recall anyone saying that you have some kind of control over anything Rhett. A few people have insinuated that yes, you may be treated a little bit "better" (because of indicidents like the above PM going unpunished, as well as your "e-fools" comment earlier in this very thread), but as far as you having any influence, I think that is something you have made up in your own mind. As far as "relentless" attacks on you and all that... maybe you need to drop the self-importance factor and read a little closer.

I do not take offense to your "attack," simply because it's a blanket jab at a rather large group of people who, despite your inclinations, are not at all "manipulated and controlled" by anybody. That's why I felt it was a rather unfair "attack" and why I felt obligated to respond.

You also managed to (rather suavely, I might add) sidestep just about every point I posed to you in my post. The only thing you offered is that you "responded." That's all well and good, but it doesn't change the fact that your PM was just as much an offense (again, by your own standards) as Abner's thread.

And Jim, you're right, I am not the most frequent poster at the Base, nor do I really come to life in the chats that much. My school, work, and girlfriend have always factored into how much time I spend online. But just because I wasn't noticed as much in the past doesn't mean I didn't have a handle on what was going on. I've been with the base for quite a long time, and I may not seem quite so on top of things, but I assure I am in no means in the dark or misled.

The latin quote you refer to in Tess' (and others, including my own) sig is a play on the misconception that many people have of the Base, nothing more.

I know you guys might think you are above what goes on at the Base, but you were once a part of it. I think the reason we seem to respond more strongly to your posts than anyone else's is because it somewhat feels like a betrayal. Look at the way you acted 5 months ago and the way you act now, and you may see the reason why a few people dislike you at the Base. If you can honestly say you post and act the same on the JC as you did before, then yes, you were better than all of us and your moral compass led you away from the Base. But I really think you'll find that isn't the case.
  20. Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let me step inside these shoes
    Trip the wire of the blues
    Pull these strings on my hands
    To play in time with the band
    I'll tie you up in a ribbon of tune
    And sing a song that will send you...

(chorus) Feelin' fine not just for one moment
    On down the line until the road ends
    Through the other side not just for one moment
    Chasing after the light until the darkness fades

Paint a face that can cry
    Make you laugh, make you smile for a while
    Dance my legs down a cartoon-colored lane
    Float my fingers down the tracks of a train
    And a sound comes blowing out of nowhere
    Like a trumpet fills the air and send you...

(chorus)

Tear down the lifelines
    Let my heart beat free
    Tear down the lifelines
    Let my heart beat free, cut the strings

Cut these strings away from me

Now i'm standing on my own
    The beat is marching on, the notes have all been flown
    Flash these lights to a high
    This puppet needs no lines, let that curtain fly

I'll tie you up in a ribbon of tune
    And sing a song that will send you...

(chorus)

Will I be, will I be afraid. (repeat 10x)

21. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Thanks for the swell update, Bria!
  22. Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling

star 5
    So what do you guys think about the changes to the Role Playing forum?
  23. Jotun Denal Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh wait, I thought this was the Role Playing forum!
  24. Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I can understand...same actors, same tired plot.
  25. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    Imagine having to watch it happen over and over again for nearly 5 years. It seems to get funnier everytime I see it.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.