main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update for Week of July 26

Discussion in 'Communications' started by rhonderoo, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    CJ and bucket, no one is saying they don't want fans like you. I'm just saying we've really discussed this (especially this part of the debate regarding the old sanctuary) until we're blue in the face and we're now going in circles. Just like we got to with the last thread.

This has been a much more productive conversation, (I think - at least we're not hurling insults at Strilo and damning Stryphe and the administration to hell) and I've left some options up there for you regarding some dialogue with maybe the SWC mods. That's what I'd do, bucket, in response to him. He's said above he's willing to talk as long as you guys are willing to listen. There still is some solutions with the Golden Era thread and other things in SWC. But we've taken up a lot of time with this here, and as far as Comms and the overall administration is concerned that part is done.

That's why I'm saying the rest of the solution is up to SWC and I'd rather leave it out of this thread. We can't institute a seperarate forum for the O-OT, just like we had to merge ROTS into the PT. To TFN there are two trilogies and one saga. Many different versions, cuts, types of fans, etc. But two trilogies and two forums. Now I'm really going to have ask that we move on in here.

2. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    I just can't resist, cause I always wanted honesty from you guys, and atleast you are doing that so I do respect your answers today.

By saying that TFn looks at SW as two trilogies and one saga, you have just proven the point why so many fans are alienated here. I hate to break it to you guys, but not everyone sees SW that way. I got a message to my fellow OT fans, not everyone sees the OT that way, some only like SW from 1977 and thats it, but the point is that was never a problem back in 1983.

If someones sees the saga 1-6, or 4-6, or 4-6,1-3, or even just SW '77, not one of those fans are wrong. And by trying to give an analogy of condensing the ROTS forum to the PT, as to SW '77 forum doesn't work. Star Wars in 1977 was a standalone film, so that movie can be debated on the merits of just that and there is a section of fans who don't recognize Darth Vader as Lukes father. ROTS is part 3 of the already written trilogy that Lucas knew he was making in 1999, the Original SW was just that until 1980, so there is always a way to look at the movie as just the only one.

I am not here to debate what is the best way to look at the SW saga, but if you guys are that narrow that you think every fan is going to look at it that way, and the O-OT is just a different version, than you guys are really out of touch. I wish you guys would just say, "We just want fans of the SE/PT here." Atleast that would be honest, and would end this pointless bickering.

And I disagree with you Rhonderoo, I don't think you want fans like me here, you just can't say it.

3. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Um, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the Star Wars Saga is Episodes 1-6. Period. Otherwise They would not be numbered as such because:

Noun

saga (plural sagas)

Singular
    saga

Plural
    sagas

1. An Old Norse prose narrative of Iceland or Norway, especially dealing with family or social histories and legends
    2. Something with the qualities of such a saga; an epic, a long story.

Noun

epic

1. an extended narrative poem in elevated or dignified language, celebrating the feats of a legendary or traditional hero

The Icelandic epic took all night to recite.

2. a series of events considered appropriate to an epic

The book was an epic in four volumes.

Noun

series (plural: series)

1. A number of things that follow on one after the other or are connected one after the other.
    2. A television or radio program which consists of several episodes that are broadcast in regular intervals

Friends was one of the most successful television series in recent years.

Ergo, since a Saga is an epic, which inturn consists of a series of events (In SW's case, Episodes), one cannot simply say "Oh the first 3 aren't part of the Saga." - Because in the eyes of the maker of the said works, it is a 6-part epic. SW '77 cannot even enter that category since it is a singular film.

Discussions about certain movies, or editions can be discussed in a single thread. It happens in most places on these boards.
    Ampitheatre does, Science Fiction and Fantasy does, Literature does.

I will use Literature as an example.

There are many novel out there. Some are grouped into trilogies, and some of these said trilogies make up a series (Example X-Wing Novels). You also have era-based 'arcs', such as the New Jedi Order.

Do these major arc's get thier own forum to discuss the happenings, etc. in these novels? No. Most novels have about half a dozen threads created with that particular novel as it's theme (General discussion about the book, technology, how it fits in with the rest of the EU, etc.) I have never seen any EU fan complain

4. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    The beauty of having forums is that you can create individual threads. You can talk about the O-OT only in individual threads labeled "O-OT" in the CT forum.

And guys, we're done here.

6. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    Trying to sidestep the debate for now, it wouldn't be a waste of bandwidth, because the fans of each category normally wouldn't visit the other ones, bar a few exceptions. Even then, it wouldn't be a large waste. It may possibly be a waste (this is debatable) of disk space (extremely cheap in this age), but not bandwidth. If the change drew more members to TF.N, wouldn't that be a benefit?

I mean, if you're going to complain about the waste of space, why not remove the other inactive boards? I mean, they must be a huge burden on the servers, as they are just wasting space, correct?

There is no apparent harm in creating the boards, if only on a trial basis. If TF.N's staff is proved correct, they can merge the boards again, and they would have proven their point. If the boards were created, and they proved popular, wouldn't that be beneficial to TF.N, by drawing in more members, and creating more activity?

From what I can see, creating the boards, on a trial basis, would satisfy the 'bashers', and possibly draw more people to TF.N. What is there to lose?

EDIT: Sorry Rhonda, I guess I missed your post.

7. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005
    Oh, really? Cause I just created 3 new topics that dealt with specific thoughts of just how fans felt about certain subjects when SW was just 4-6, and all 3 were locked within minutes. I specifically put on each topic, for O-OT fans only

All 3: Locked, Locked, Locked!

Anybody wants to check out the CT thread, and you can see all my threads locked, you know why cause it was questions only to O-OT fans. Geez, if we only had a forum for just O-OT subjects, I bet they wouldn't have been locked?

8. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It looks to me like you just tried to spam the CT forum with duplicate threads with the [OOT Only] tag added to them. Not exactly the right way to go about it.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Perhaps I should clarify, I don't think the CT mods mind threads labeled O-OT if it pertains to something that is different compared to the SE's, or something that changes perceptions with the others. But Cjedi, you opened three threads on things that didn't change with any SE's or any other edition of SW. Stuff like that CAN be discussed in context with the existing threads.

Here's your thread titles:

What did you think happened to Luke & Leia's mom after seeing ROTJ? (O-OT fans only)
    How did you feel about Anakin being redeemed as a force ghost in 1983? (O-OT fans only)
    Do you think ROTJ is a satisfying climax to the OT? (just 4-6)

We can't keep going around and around in this thread about this. If you need any more clarification on why the CT threads were locked, please, contact the CT mods. But Strilo has it pretty much pegged. As for this thread, this will have to be it. Anything else and I'll be editing it. Sorry.

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    As somebody who helped participate in the Focus Group, I'm sorry that we couldn't come up with any constructive propsals. There were a few very interesting ideas that floated about in the FG, about how we can at least try and help bring the community on these boards together. An especially interesting propsal I thought, was for constructive criticism threads to be created in the PT and CT forums, where intelligent critiques of the movies would be permitted and the topic would be changed every week or month, or something. We never really got beyond the conception of this idea, but I certainly thought it had a lot of potential and was worthy of more discussion.

Despite no really firm propsals coming out of the FG, I think it was certainly a worthwhile experiance. Due to personal circumstances I wasn't able to offer as much imput as I would have liked, but I think the FG at least helped both sides of this discussion to understand more where the other was coming from. Unfortunatly we couldn't get past the perceptions thats had built up on both sides over many years, to come up with any firm solutions, but there were ideas floated out there and I hope and I'm sure the administration will keep some of these ideas under review.

11. bucketface

bucketface Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 12, 2005
    Believe it or not, I disagree with the bashers when it comes to the attitude that they are not wanted here. Disagree is actually the wrong word since I don't share any kind of dialog with them. I don't really consider myself a basher as I've never really felt welcomed by them and therefore I've never posted much before and haven't at all on their new board (which, along with some shyness, is probably the main reason I wasn't welcomed [face_whistling]). However, I do feel loyal to them as someone who's been on the sidelines for many years and has immensely enjoyed their intelligent, witty conversation. It's because of this and a few of my own personal reasons that I wish to pursue this dialog regarding the sanctuary. It pleases me immensely that the admins and Stryphe in particular have been willing to allow be to do so. So please know from here on in that I share no vitriol towards the administration and everything I say is not masked in subterfuge or political spin but actually complete honesty.

Also, believe me when I say that although I have been a lurker for many years on this site, there are many things that as a fairly new poster still elude me. While I've read the focus group and the new sanctuary, I realize that I've become wrapped up in a history that hasn't involved me. So keep that in mind when viewing what I have to say.

As a second part to that point, I really was being genuine when I asked how you meant for me to contact the SWC mods. From your implication I gather you mean private message although I must say that I do abhor that method as this involves a large group and it would be silly to keep them away from reading anything about it, especially if it is productive or could be more so if they did read it. However, I am happy and willing to do so if that is the only option. This really has always been a SWC issue and should remain with them.

EDIT: While I agree that CJ's posts in classic were not about the O-OT as it concerns the SE, it would appear that they were rather about the OT before the PT. Now whether this was an innocent mistake on his part or intended to be spam, all three of those were interesting topics where it concerns the original trilogy before the prequels and as far as I'm concerned should have been edited to reflect that rather than outright closed. Simply change "O-OT Fans only" to "OT Fans only" or "OT only". By closing it outright you've simply given CJ more ammunition to assume a bias against bashers or fans like himself. Whether that bias exists or not frankly doesn't matter, unless it affects moderator action.

12. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Bucket, I started to edit you because I said we're done with this, but I see you said you're relatively new and would like to know how to contact the SWC mods. For your ideas/suggestions on maybe something with the Goldern Era thread or something like that, yes you'd need to PM them.

13. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Guys, I really meant done. I know this is an issue really close to your heart and I appreciate your conviction, but we gotta move on in this thread.

14. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Edit: See above.

15. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Strilo edit: As Rhonderoo posted in this thread, "As for this thread, this will have to be it. Anything else and I'll be editing it. Sorry." I strongly suggest her words are read and reread until understood.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Freudian slip much?

17. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'd just like to remind folks to please PM a forum moderator with questions or concerns before grandstanding in Comms. As I have indicated via PM, now that I am aware of these specific questions which came up today, I have brought this up for discussion with the other CT mods.

Also, on a slight tangent, please PM a mod if you have concerns about the behavior of other users, rather than attempting to moderate in-thread on your own.

18. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    Edit: Taking it to PM for now

19. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Let it go, it's done, it's over.

Personally, I think the Administration is the best it's ever been, since I've been here.

It's one thread that's been locked. I suggested a few days ago, that if it's that big a loss, then go start an offshoot. It's really not that hard.

20. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    The offshoot is already in place. Look no further than my sig.

And I'm not a "basher". I frequented the PT forum for quite some time under several names since the TFn was formed, so it's not like i'm here solely for their cause, even though that's what some would prefer to believe.

Look, we're all fans. It just happens to be that we're on different sides of the fence with some issues... this one included. When people feel strongly about something, emotions will run high. Its just that when you see things like

I strongly suggest her words are read and reread until understood. I just wonder how the moderator would respond if they were told that themselves.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Half - :p

Okay! It looks like we're not doing the "it's over" part well, so I'm going to repeat the warning I gave above. I've had to edit. I don't want to ban. So please guys, move on.

22. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Nice update, btw! ;) =D=

23. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Wasn't this thread just locked? o_O

I agree 100%. It's a very collaborative team.

24. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Nice update.

Not so interesting drama. But nice update.

25. CJedi72

Sep 29, 2005
    Edit: CJ, I can appreciate your question and the CT mods are discussing the best way to separate things like that or a way to deal with threads that deal with the O-OT only, but I've said time and time again we can't keep discussing it in this thread. I would suggest PMing one of the CT mods and asking them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.