main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update for Week of July 26

Discussion in 'Communications' started by rhonderoo, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    roo, are they free to make a thread where it can be discussed? I mean, this does seem to be an issue that needs discussion and users are directed to Comms to discuss issues.

2. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The CT mods are actually discussing the whole thing. I'm fine with a thread, but I think they've almost reached a solution.

3. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    Jada, it has been discussed many times already.

But it's about time for everybody to leave the trenches and to move on in a positive way.

EDIT: Spelling

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Thank you roo because right now what this is coming across as is "we are tired of talking about the userbase's concerns". I don't think that is what you really want it to come across as. :)

5. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Not at all, the CT mods have been talking about how to go about it for a couple days now. I'd ask that we give them another day or so, and then go from there if you haven't heard anything or something isn't put up in CT about how to deal with O-OT stuff in CT. I don't want a new thread to go back to the closing of the Sanctuary, and we'll ask that it not go there, but this is fine.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Thank you roo because right now what this is coming across as is "we are tired of talking about the userbase's concerns". I don't think that is what you really want it to come across as.

And that's not really what they're saying at all. They're saying "We heard you we don't need you to keep pounding it into our heads."

7. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    I'm reading through the thread and will respond to specific points in PMs as needed, but I missed alot due to all the editing.

8. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    sidious618, it's not "pounding" anything into anyone's head. It's about reaching an agreement with fans who visit this site.
    If mods aren't willing or able to listen to JCers concerns, what good are they?

edit

This site is really hurting itself.

9. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Stryphe, most of the conversation was about the O-OT versions in CT. I suggested PMing you SWC guys with their suggestions for the Golden Era thread or any kind of "fan club" in SWC. I think they are working with the CT mods on the O-OT thing, but if not, a thread can be started for that. If you and Strilo want a thread about the Golden Era thread or things you can do in SWC, I'm fine with that, too. As long as it's forward looking, and not about the Sanc closure.

Also, anything I edited is in the user's notes. :)

10. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Rhondaroo and other Mods, I don't think the "Golden Age" thread is really part of the solution. It has been up for around two months now and really hasn't generated much interest. It seems like a quarter of the posts have been by mods and the rest (after the first two pages) by the same two or three "regulars". The former thread that it was designed to replace was one of the busiest in all of the JC boards with around 50 or so "regulars" and quite a few occaisional visitors (including some so-called "gushers" who enjoyed the humor and comradery found there. So in looking for alternatives and solutions, I think we can all agree that "the golden age" thread may be a good addition to the site, but has failed to catch on as a solution to the BS closure dilemma. It really hasn't worked out as it was intended and is not of much interest to the denizens of the old BS, as it is only so interesting saying what we like/missed, etc. The BS was a very social place where like minded people talked about all kinds of things, not merely even Star Wars, though that was the sun around which all other topics orbited.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The reason the Golden Age thread isn't the solution is because it doesn't address the core issue for the existence of the sanctuary: criticism of the prequels.

And I'm not sure it was intended as a solution to begin with. It's really about something that nearly all SW fans can agree on: the OT-era was a "golden age", a touchstone that laid the foundation and raised the bar for all subsequent SW endeavours.

Another issue:

Am I to understand that creation of O-OT threads is being debated?

How can you not allow topics dealing with the originals as they existed prior to the SEs?

The very films that put the classic in SW not being discussed in their own threads or topics impairs discussion and ignores a crucial part of SW history.

12. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I think the majority of those who would have found it interesting have left and aren't going to be coming back any time soon. Which is a pity IMO, for all concerned.

Not sure I agree. I think that you can criticise the prequels outside of a 'sanctuary', at least that's what I've found since it was closed. The reason the Sanctuary is missed is because of the community that was created inside that thread. Stryphe hoped he could recreate it in the GA thread. I think maybe he could have if the Sanctuary's closure hadn't created such ill feeling.

Mods: I don't know if this post counts as going 'round in circles' I hope not because I think the above opinions are valid and I'd like them expressed.

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Who said that?

14. Pizza-the-Hutt

May 21, 2002
    Well all of Cjedi's threads were locked to be fair. You can understand why someone might come to that conclusion, mistakenly or not.

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Pizza, I didn't say you couldn't bash outside of the BS. Of course you can. I know because I sometimes do it. My point is that the reason the sanctuary was started was because most of those who criticised the prequels started and participated in the sanctuary.

So, any solution must have criticism of the prequels at its core just like the BS did.

Twilek, I've seen you guys shut down a handful of O-OT discussion threads by cjedi in the CT. Now, one of them, the "was ROTJ a fitting end" thread, I can understand locking it because there was already a topic on it.

However, what of the other 3?

If anything, the SEs are the ones who should have "special" consideration as far as threads go, not the friggin ones that started the entire SW phenomenon and were, are, and will forever be regarded as classics: the Original threatrical releases.

16. Pizza-the-Hutt

May 21, 2002
    Right okay. Basically what I was trying to get across was that what initially made the Sanctuary important, the need for a place to bash, was later superseded by the great community that sprung up there. The need for a Bashers Sanctuary as the only place someone was able to criticise the PT without fear of attack, I think has gone. Personally it's not the 'place to bash' aspect of the Sanctuary that I miss, it's the community. I think the GA thread could have become this community. It wasn't to be.

So to criticise the PT is more enjoyable to people over at ORS than to praise the O-OT? If that's the case then you're right about it needing to be part of the solution, but to be honest, that's not a solution I would readily enjoy myself.

That's what I said before I was edited.

17. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Oh, I completely understand, and we're very well aware how bad it may look to some people. Doesn't change the fact that nobody knows what CJedi has been told, what we really think of it or what we plan to do. It's only why wild assumptions like that come out of nowhere. Some conclusions just happen to be 6 steps farther than we are and not at all where we're going.

18. Pizza-the-Hutt

May 21, 2002
    Which is why I don't think all this editing of people's posts is helping the situation. It's just helping to fuel the view that the mods have something to hide, are scared, and want to control the discussion as much as possible. Personally, I don't think that's the case after talking to mods about this in PMs. I just don't think you're doing yourself any favours.

EDIT: I think that I'm pretty moderate on this issue. I can see it from both sides, but even I get frustrated when I make a point that I don't think has been brought up, and get edited because it's 'redundant'. To me this clearly isn't redundant.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Doesn't change the fact that nobody knows what CJedi has been told, what we really think of it or what we plan to do. It's only why wild assumptions like that come out of nowhere

......... what?

You people are getting more clandestine by the day, this is a message board for a movie not the CIA.
    Just tell us what you're doing and stop with all these secret meetings.
    It's the same with rhon editing all the posts, it's like those books in 1984 where Winston Smith has to edit out all the stuff by those out of favor.

Jeez.

g

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Actually guys, you were edited because we didn't want to continue this conversation in the MSU, yet here we are again. Senny, a thread of it's own would be the way to go here if you guys are discussing this still.

21. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Any further questions they have should be directed to GJK/TLJ/Butt via PM or brought up in the CT Rules thread, as they will be posting the updated OOT stuff in there in CT any time now.

22. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    When the announcement is made could the moderator or a moderator put a link in here.

23. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    We're planning on having everything ready to make this Wednesday's MSU. We're just going through some technical details. As Rhonda said, you can PM any one of us CT mods, or continue this discussion in the Rules/Index thread in CT.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Did you even see what was edited? It was said several times, by different mods, that the discussion was over. People continued anyways, and they got edited. They're fortunite they didn't get banned.

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I have PM'd CJedi our reply.

I apologize that this took almost 48 hours to discuss, clarify and reply. I appreciate your patience.

I'm going to make a post in the CT Rules/Index sticky thread shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.