main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update: June 18

Discussion in 'Communications' started by KnightWriter, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Good choices on threads to submit, KW.

It would be interesting to know if Josh actually did submit something the mods gave him, or if Josh just went on talking about the time LFL "almost shut us down."

I have experience being a reporter at a daily newspaper. Often, reporters are assigned to write a story with a certain slant, and to find facts that fit that slant. I've been asked to do it before, and it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case here.

I hate to feel like I'm derailing the thread by going on about this, but regardless of whoever was responsible for the content included in the story, I think it makes the site look bad.

2. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    I have experience being a reporter at a daily newspaper. Often, reporters are assigned to write a story with a certain slant, and to find facts that fit that slant. I've been asked to do it before, and it wouldn't be surprising if that was the case here.

Thats exactly it.

It was the same when we went to the AotC premiere. All sorts of media, and in the end, all sorts of 'laugh at the geeks' reporting.

3. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    Hopefully the threads will be featured in the future, I've contacted Scott at USA Today to ask. Good stuff!

Josh

4. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Thats exactly it.

It was the same when we went to the AotC premiere. All sorts of media, and in the end, all sorts of 'laugh at the geeks' reporting.

Sounds like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at the AotC premiere all over again...

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sounds like Triumph the Insult Comic Dog at the AotC premiere all over again...

Before you mock it -- understand it. I know a whole bunch of those people. Not a single one of them was offended by the bit and all thought it was done in good humor, especially since Smiegel was apparently joking with them and a huge fan in-between takes as well. ;)

If I recall correctly, I believe FF Niagra was more offended by it than NYC... :)

6. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I wasn't offended as much as in denial that I post here. I don't think I told anyone after that airing...

7. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    I got a USA Today and looked through the whole thing, all I found was this little article on Joshua Griffin and a little about TF.N almost having as many people as SW.Com. Nothing about any threads.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That Triumph bit was hilarious. Anyone who got offended needs to grow thicker skin.

9. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Is the USA Today article available online for international users?

If not, is someone able to transcribe the article, or at least let us know what threads were given to the paper?

10. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It was copied onto an earlier page in this thread, Gatherer. You can see it there.

11. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Short but sweet update KW. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.