main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update - March 18 to March 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Genghis12, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Mod Squad Update for the week of March 16 to March 23

Moderator News:
    • After much discussion and debate centered around the YJCC forum, the ongoing search for a new moderator continued. This discussion yielded several solid candidates for becoming the next member of the YJCC moderating team. The Mod Squad agreed that based on the strength of the candidates in question, two new YJCC moderators would be promoted. Those two moderators are Darth Dagsy and AmazingB. Welcome them aboard if you haven't already. And because of these promotions, YJCC is now fixed. Those having further problems with the forum will be banned.
    • In addition to the YJCC moderators, we had some discussion about the general circumstances surrounding old moderators returning to the Mod Squad.
    • And it's with sadness that we report that we're losing Hama-Ryu-Kinnebi as the Fanforce Administrator. Besides posting the odd post or two... or three... or four... here at the Jedi Council, he has given Fanforce much time and effort. Please congratulate him on his great support of Star Wars fandom and wish him the best of luck in the future. And of course if you contact him, be sure to start off with "Dear Hama..." Fanforce and the TF.N Administration are currently looking into the next Fanforce Administrator. It'll be a tough pair of shoes to fill.
    Problem Users:
    • This week's discussion of problem users differed from previous discussions in that those were all about the other problem users. However, this week's discussion was about you. Yes, you know who you are.
    When is a flame not a flame?
    • dp4m tried to clarify the finer points of what is acceptable when it comes to criticism of "public figures." The general consensus is that those people who are members of the Jedi Council enjoy the full protections allowed by this site to engage in free, unmolested discussion within the confines of the Terms of Service. Non-members do not generally receive the same protections afforded to users. It was noted, however, that while criticism of public figures may be allowed, some still may fall under trolling which is not allowed. Darth Sapient had this to say: "As it stands, in most parts of the world, calling your leaders names is a freedom granted to them and as such would translate straight to the boards. But don't go moderating it as if it were a flame."
    Nation Bashing
    • Completing the Unholy Alliance of Flame Topics with its sister-thread of flaming public figures is the subject of nation bashing. cbjedi recognized that leading up to and including the current war to liberate Iraq there has been an increased frequency of comments made by various people meant to "shock and awe" other users. The administration has agreed to strike at targets of opportunity to decapitate the troll regime. Kadue clarified the Administration position: "Making fun of something isn't always necessarily equivalent of flaming/insulting something. Criticism, satirism, discussion of policies is okay. But when people are going out of their way to straight out attack and essentially bait other people into reacting, then that's where the line is drawn, especially at a time like this when a lot of people are highly strung on this issue."
    Jedi Cult Spam:
    • Obi Anne brought to the attention of the Mod Squad some spam affiliated with a website that was being passed around via email using TF.N resources. While interesting in a freakish

2. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    thank you. yes, we will all miss Hama. Guess he wants more surf and sun time. Perhaps he needs more time to infiltrate LFL by April 1st and rattle their cages. :D :D :D

3. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    :D Nice update. :)

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Although we appreciate your kind words in regards to the update, we ask that posts are made in reference to discussing specifics. Please do not post things like, "Great update. Thanks", etc...

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding. :)

5. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    To counter cb's question about having multiple forum managers:

Mass deletion of a troll's posts manually sucks.

That is all. :p
    And, I'm serious. There are some features that are really helpful for moderators to have when promoted to manager. Although, for the technical aspect, I don't see the reason for the JCC moderators to need manager powers. But, I feel the same way about each and every forum in that aspect.

But they all come bundled together, so, eh...
    What can you do?

... Exactly.

Delete all of a troll's posts at once. [face_mischief]

6. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    And changing the headers isn't something everyone can do. For instance, I can't change things like our names and such in the header. It's passworded and given limited access to the tech admins.

7. yodahs-daddy

yodahs-daddy Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Kadue stated that he will be gone for the weekend. Bria figured now would be the perfect time to test out that little-used "ban all users" feature that only a few mods rarely ever had the opportunity to try out.

ahhhhhhhhhhh is she going to ban us all? seriously? :(

8. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Sadly, yes. Start to say your goodbyes. :(

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    First, Thank you Genghis12, for a very reasonabale update. You guys can stop talking about me now...

Re: DS's calling your leaders names is a freedom granted to them and as such would translate straight to the boards.

So that means a Shrub is a Shrub is a Bush then right? :p

The administration has agreed to strike at targets of opportunity to decapitate the troll regime.

Nice to see that at least one orginization is concentrating it's efforts at home where it belongs... ;)

You can find him handing out flowers at an airport near you.

Did PoT join the Handmaidens or something? :eek:

Much vigorous and insightful discussion was had about the most extreme penalties the administration can apply on all of you people.

What?? YJ has stopped using his threadus interuptus vee modieth power?

It Seemded to work wonders before....

Episode III and the Literature forum

Why not just put it under the banner of ' Glorified Fan Fiction' and call it good?

Wizards of the Coast

Not the WOT-C WAR MACHIEN!!?

(run away! run away!!)

Routine Administrative Business:

Yeah yeah yeah....

'Cept for the Gossip about the torrid love affairs and the discusion of the Yoda Jeff Community Centre (Commenly known as the YJCC) blah bla bla....

And as I said, you guys can stop talking about me now, I've been good.

So far.

Managers... please tell me this isn't a given... if all mods grow up to be managers the Kingdom will be wrent asunder....

Mass thread deletion... too Bad... DS was busy over as E-3SA today, got some entertainig reads in before hand though... DB wonders where the hell some of these people get their ideas from and why they think that the post will actually last?? Is their a club of of "My thread got deleted on the JCF?" (which would have no relation to the cool "I got banned at the JCF" group.... ;) )

10. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Not content with being able to IP Ban people, dehrian wanted even more power."

I don't see how you could extend your power above that. What suggestions did you have in mind? :confused:

Good update. [face_mischief]

11. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm familiar with what dehrian was talking about. When you have someone returning as a sock and wreaking absolute havoc, yet they belong to a comomn Australian IP or AOL account for instance, there's little we can do.

12. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    There's always the "Hunt them down and kill them" option, but Kadue says we're not supposed to do that anymore. :(

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, it has limited access through passwording. [face_mischief]

14. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    So we can't say 'great update,' but we can discuss fake powers the mods have at their disposal?

Yeah, okay...

?Eaglet

15. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Ya gotta be creative... if you're going to Kiss Ass (Oh! the Joy of being able to say that! Thank you Tracy!!!) or other things you gotta have style and tecnique....

16. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    First of all, nice update Genghis...your wit and sick humor is disturbing at best. [face_mischief]

Secondly, cbjedi said, "IMHO one manager per forum is enough. I've already said in the MS, being a manager doesn't make me any more effective than being a moderator. I think the fewer accounts that could delete the entire JC, the better. "

I have to concur with this statement to an extent. On the larger boards, such as the YJCC, EUC, AOTC, 3SA and SWC, two or three managers would be best off. Having more control over the larger boards allows more streamlining, and doesn't make the forum mods have to hunt for the one manager that is assaigned to that forum.

Lastly, I try to keep my views on the whole Iraq war fairly held within, however, I find it disgusting that users are allowed to bash counties that disagree with the US position as they have. All views should be respected, within reason, naturally. However, the moment that users start to bash countries ardently such as France, Germany, Russia, Canada and Mexico like I have seen, some kind of warning should be issued. We should respect other countries, even if they don't agree with the Anglo-American position. Just my two cents on the issue.

I'm open for debate as always. :p

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Padawan -- my argument was that, if I get offended by someone bashing the rightfully elected leader of my country AND THAT'S OKAY, then the free speech we have to bash someone else's country should also be tolerated.

Of course, by looking above -- you'd know if I had my druthers I'd not allow EITHER of them, but them's the breaks. :)

Obviously there are people that feel very strongly for being able to bash people and not countries. I'm not one of them, but they do exist and I understand where they're coming from.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Padawan915...
    "First of all, nice update Genghis...your wit and sick humor is disturbing at best."

Well, I don't go out of my way to write sick, disturbing humor. I just watched Mod Squad and reported what I saw... [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, I don't go out of my way to write sick, disturbing humor. I just watched Mod Squad and reported what I saw...

We kind of ARE sick and disturbing humor, aren't we... ;)

20. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    I can neither confirm or deny any rumours about love affairs ;)

21. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Padawan -- my argument was that, if I get offended by someone bashing the rightfully elected leader of my country AND THAT'S OKAY, then the free speech we have to bash someone else's country should also be tolerated

I agree with you totally on this. I just think people are getting over reactionary with the whole war. And something needs to be done to calm people down from bashing other people who support one position or another. These are the observations that I am seeing when I go through the various threads on the JCC. Wait a sec...Druthers ?[face_plain]

Well, I don't go out of my way to write sick, disturbing humor. I just watched Mod Squad and reported what I saw

Odd... :p I guess I can be no different with some of my posts. //shrug//

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    The good ones are the ones no one knows about.... Hot and spicy behind closed doors....

23. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Oh man, it's hard to take you guys seriously with a mod squad update like that! [face_laugh] Teh Genghis, who let you into the candy drawer again? ;)

And for what it's worth, dp, I agree with you. :)

Jae Angel

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    Hey, it's what Star Wars and TF.Net are all about... fanasty and Jedi Nookie right?

:p

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hey, it's what Star Wars and TF.Net are all about... fanasty and Jedi Nookie right?

No, no... Jedi WOOKIEE... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.