main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update - March 18 to March 23

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Genghis12, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Are there real celebrities on these boards? or just screen name look alikes? For if thats the case then perhaps restrictions on bashing them would have to be increased.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Are there real celebrities on these boards? or just screen name look alikes? For if thats the case then perhaps restrictions on bashing them would have to be increased.

Every single one I posted is the real deal.

3. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Then perhaps to make our guests feel more at home, maybe we should increase the restrictions at the JC on bashing celebrities. I mean would you like to walk into a restruant and feel uncomfrontable sitting about and seeing how much people dislike you. I know I wouldn't. Its disrespectful and quite rude.

4. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I think you make a good point Stridarious
    . I think the amount of bashing done on some people it out of hand. But we've seen how well some people react to being told not to do something on the boards... Its that reason that the rules should probably stay the way they are. Oh and Genghis thanks for the update. :)

J_J

5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    *points to his post on the previous page*

;) :)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

6. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Yes, I know that many a times people do not take rules very well, especially when it comes to their rights. But these authors also have a right here as well. And I do not think they see a bashing upon them as a nice thing.

7. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    By the way, two of the best posters have left the JC over the fanfic policy.

Bithysith and Darth_Snowdog have both left.

Way to go Josh. [face_plain]

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I did not know that. That is very sad indeed. :(

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I think we should be appreciative to any Star Wars related celebrity, whether actor or author, who takes time our of their busy schedule to visit the forums, and TF.N for that matter.

10. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Exactly, it would be an honor just to have them here at theforce.net. I mean I do not think that they apperciate someone bashing them. I say agian increase the rules of celebrity bashing. To not allowed.

11. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    *waves a sign that points to his post on the previous page* [face_mischief] ;) :p

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    KenKenobi

Would using a sign continuously still constitute spamming? ;)

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ken -- you're not helping. Either restate your position or refrain from posting.

14. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Also what is the order of power here?
    Does the power go as VIP - Moderator - Manager - Administrator?

15. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't actually like the term 'power', but that is the order of increased access.

16. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    What kind of access do those "more powerful" members get.

The ability to promote mods is one thing. What else?

And what is the basis of this rise to "power."

17. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    What kind of access do those "more powerful" members get.
    The ability to promote mods is one thing. What else?

I know that they have editing abilities and banning abilties as you get higher on the ladder. And the ability to make Sticky Threads. Even alter the banner and froum colors and even ability of colors.

And as far as the access goes they have special places that we as normal members do not get nor can we see.

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    From what I understand, we aren't to lay out all the specifics of the capabilities.

19. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Though there are public website/s that allegedly give a full list of such capabilites.

UKS

20. Vader666

Vader666 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 3, 2003
    OK, so how does someone get promoted? There must be a number of reasons.

Secondly,

The thing I most criticize in these forums is the lack of democracy. We as members don't get to make votes on certain aspects...

21. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Unfortunately, (and as recently demonstrated by the JCC Election "game"), Democracy does not work on the Internet and this website in particular, at this time.

Moderators are picked from the normal members by the other members of the moderating team, and it is they who decide how things run around here, Within the Terms Of Service, Josh Griffin and Philip "From Rebelscum" personal wishes, and finally, with input from the members through the Advisory Council and this forum.

UKS

EDIT: This post is stuck in limbo for me.. can anyone see it?

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    We are the representatives of the members in the forums we moderate. It's everything I read on a day-to-day basis by the members of these boards who are not mods that form the basis of my decisions. So I would most certainly say it's democratic.

23. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    -_-_-_-_-_-: [face_laugh] :p

dp4m: The ideas I showed in my post that I was referring to included the point that the discussion was at the moment- redundancy, if you will. ;)

Here is my post again. :)

I think some light has been shed on the subject- hater threads and lover threads about the same character would be extremely hard, if at all, able to co-exist in the same forum.

I mean, if a group of people don't like a certain actor/celebrity, they have the natural right to voice their opinion, congruent to the fact that those who do like a certain celebrity have the same right.

Yet I think that restrictions should be placed on the amount and severity of these opinions- not to the extent that you destroy the opinion altogether, but at least some limit so things don't get out of hand.

Opinions are the basis of ideas- and ideas are the soul of the JC in aspect. If we were to squeeze too tightly on the opinions themselves then they will be cut off and ultimately non-existant in intricate concept (this stemming that opinions are always continual). However, let the opinions go to far and cross selective boundaries, then you have a real crisis on your hands. Through all that you also have to respect the person and his/her viewpoint as well.

I'd say restrict the event of these posts- don't eliminate them, but at least make sure they don't contain vulgar or violent means of propaganda for the opposition of a celebrity.

Furthermore, if you were to place restrictions on these "bashers", you would face resistance from them saying that celebrity support threads are congruent with the rights of them, and so both should have restrictions on their messages.

However, although both genres of celebrity viewing have congruent OPINION similarities, each has differentiating forms of messaging.

On one side you have supporters that protect and "adore" a certain celebrity and use means of positive reinforcement to back-up that being.

On the other side you have "bashers", to put it in a slang term, that aggress a certain celebrity and use means of negitive information to bring down that person (or, at the least, point out their flaws).

I'm not saying celebrity fan threads always follow rules and don't go over the line- indeed it would be annoying, especially to those who aren't fond of the person, to constantly hear of him/her here on the JC.

But then again, you have to respect everyone's opinions. [face_mischief]

All in all it looks as if the negative aspects outweigh the positive aspects.

Vader666: According to the FAQ:

How do I become an administrator?

The forum administrators are selected by invitation only, either by TheForce.Net staff or other administrators. Please do not ask to become an administrator, as this has been previously tried before and does not have any positive results for a member. Also, it takes up valuable space on the first page of the forum.

You can also take a look at the How are new moderators chosen? thread, the To become a moderator thread, or the How do you become a mod? thread. ;)

UK Sullustian: Well Democracy is, like Sape said, what is being used to "govern" and moderate the JC. Add the Advisory Council into the fray, and that idea is doubled in reasoning. ;)

The "Election Game" didn't work due to the types of methods employed to count votes and establish campaigning and political platforms. That was not even close to a show of how the JC's internal structure works.

Oh, and the reason your post isn't showing up is because it is the last one on the page (assuming you have your preferences set on 25 Posts Per Page), and since after you post a message it automatically includes the author post, it makes your message "invisible" when viewing it direct

24. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    "Well Democracy is, like Sape said, what is being used to "govern" and moderate the JC."

Sapients and your definitions are not Democracy. They're very nice to hear, and surely the best we can hope for on the internet, but actual Democracy? Nope.

UKS

25. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    UKS is correct, ken kenobi is incorrect. That is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.