main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update - October 24th, 2007

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DVeditor, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    <table width="855" height="1110" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" border="0" align="center"><tr><td>
    <div style="margin:0px;padding:25px;width:855px;height:1105px;background:url(http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5096/msubgnd1.gif) top center no-repeat;">
    <div style="height:90px;margin:110px 10px 0px 10px !important; margin-top:10em;"><font style="color:#e8e8e8;font-size:12px;">My name is DVeditor. I work for the Mod Squad Corporation, the <del>largest</del> COOLEST and most <del>powerful</del> AWESOME online entity in the world. I'm part of security at a secret high-tech facility, <font style="color:#000000;background:#000000;">The Tower</font>, an underground laboratory developing experimental viral networking. But there were incidents. The news escaped and everybody visited. Trouble was...they can't stay gone. No one can stay gone from this place.<br>At the beginning of the 21st century, nine out of every ten homes contain its forums. Its political and geekery influence is felt everywhere. In public, it is the world's leading supplier of Star Wars discussion, spamfests, and healthcare. Unknown, even to its own employees, its massive pull is generated by FORCEBOAT technology, social experimentation, and viral networking.</font></div>
    <div style="margin:0px 10px 5px 10px;height:90px;"><font style="color:#45C2DF;font-size:11px;"><i>"Well, I think I'll go out and get some fresh air for a change."</i></font><br />
    <font style="color:#e8e8e8;font-size:12px;">Your clocks will need to be adjusted soon to give us time to deal with the increasing infection - be sure to check with your local authorities to assure a seamless (and safe) transition.</font></div>
    <div style="margin:0px 10px 5px 10px;height:90px;background:#161616;"><font style="color:#45C2DF;font-size:11px;"><i>"The mods are like protein, changing from liquid to airborne to blood transmission, depending on their environment. They are almost impossible to kill."</i></font><br />
    <font style="color:#e8e8e8;font-size:12px;">Mods <a href="http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/27314058">came and went</a> for a variety of top-secret purposes. They managed to survive the trip outside and are safely barricaded inside once again.</font></div>
    <div style="margin:0px 10px 5px 10px;height:90px;"><font style="color:#45C2DF;font-size:11px;"><i>"Take the info to the <font style="color:#000000;background:#000000;">CLASSIFIED</font> facility then assemble a team, we're re-opening the Tower, I want to know what went on down there. Just do it."</i></font><br />
    <font style="color:#e8e8e8;font-size:12px;">Discussions continue for <a href="http://boards.theforce.net/communications/b10006/27582909">the suggested Hall of Fame forum</a> - labs tests are underway and should have results fairly soon.</font></div>
    <div style="margin:0px 10px 5px 10px;height:90px;background:#161616;"><font style="color:#45C2DF;font-size:11px;"><i>"We fought the ads. We survived the archives. And now, we face more tech issues...good thing we like a challenge."</i></font><br />
    <font style="color:#e8e8e8;font-size:12px;">The corporation had several technical hiccups as upgrades went underway this week. Fortunately the research data was able to be preserved and remains uncompromised.</font></div>
    <div style="margin:0px 10px 5px 10px;height:90px;"><font style="color:#45C2DF;font-size:11px;"><i>"This is what we've been waiting for gentlemen. Confirm at 2:18 and 27 seconds the Image Program is now fully activated."</i></font><br />
    <font style="color:#e8e8e8;font-size:12px;">Many hours of meticulous R&D were put to use as new Halloween banners and icons were put through rigorous user testing. Unfortunately they have spread much faster than anticipated and must be dealt with! <b>NYCitygurl</b> has risen to the challenge and taken on another round of icon pruning. They don't stand a chance...</font></div>
    <div style="margin:0px 10px 5px 10px;height:90px;background:#161616;"><font style="color:#45C2DF;font-size:11px;"><i>"They're S.T.A.R.S. Special Tactics and Rescue Squad. They're the best

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Awesome. Very presentable too I might add.

3. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I have no idea what movie/video/game/etc the idea came from but it looks really cool!

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Resident Evil. ;)

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    It bunches up on the screen for me. :(

There is a little more than a week left in the Fan Force Charity Raffle. See this thread for more information.

6. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    What resolution are you using? Looks fine at 1024 X 768 from what I hear (aside from a slight bit of side-scrolling, which is hopefully fixed now.)

7. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'm at 1280x800 and the top line is running across the words "Company Update: October 24th, 2007" and the bottom of the logo. I'm not getting any side-scrolling.

But, despite my lack of RE knowledge, it is a really cool theme. :)

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Way cool :cool:

9. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    When you join The Tribe, this post is going to become a mess of HTML and ugliness :(

10. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    1) I'm old and I wouldn't be able to read anything at that resolution :p

2) I'm on Firefox now and it is fine. :)

11. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow, that's a great update presentation! Good job. :)

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nicely done.

And yes, I can confirm that the alignment hates IE but works fine in Firefox.

13. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Dangit, must be an IE 6 issue. I tested it on v7 but not anything earlier. Sorry for those who it has broken on, kudos to the rest. [face_peace]

14. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    so you are ok that the Update is only fully accessible to a portion of JC users? Isn't this exactly why html should be banned from official MS Updates ? All too often lately it's look like a pissing contest between mods to be funny/witty/html-gurus, but at the expense of an easily readable update.

I'm personally ok with html if it contributes to the update presentation, but the use here makes the update unreable and hence unacceptable.

Sort it out please.

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Here ya go:
    Text Only Update
    My name is DVeditor. I work for the Mod Squad Corporation, the largest COOLEST and most powerful AWESOME online entity in the world. I'm part of security at a secret high-tech facility, The Tower, an underground laboratory developing experimental viral networking. But there were incidents. The news escaped and everybody visited. Trouble was...they can't stay gone. No one can stay gone from this place.
    At the beginning of the 21st century, nine out of every ten homes contain its forums. Its political and geekery influence is felt everywhere. In public, it is the world's leading supplier of Star Wars discussion, spamfests, and healthcare. Unknown, even to its own employees, its massive pull is generated by FORCEBOAT technology, social experimentation, and viral networking.

"Well, I think I'll go out and get some fresh air for a change."

Your clocks will need to be adjusted soon to give us time to deal with the increasing infection - be sure to check with your local authorities to assure a seamless (and safe) transition.

"The mods are like protein, changing from liquid to airborne to blood transmission, depending on their environment. They are almost impossible to kill."

Mods came and went for a variety of top-secret purposes. They managed to survive the trip outside and are safely barricaded inside once again.

"Take the info to the CLASSIFIED facility then assemble a team, we're re-opening the Tower, I want to know what went on down there. Just do it."

Discussions continue for the suggested Hall of Fame forum - labs tests are underway and should have results fairly soon.

"We fought the ads. We survived the archives. And now, we face more tech issues...good thing we like a challenge."

The corporation had several technical hiccups as upgrades went underway this week. Fortunately the research data was able to be preserved and remains uncompromised.

"This is what we've been waiting for gentlemen. Confirm at 2:18 and 27 seconds the Image Program is now fully activated."

Many hours of meticulous R&D were put to use as new Halloween banners and icons were put through rigorous user testing. Unfortunately they have spread much faster than anticipated and must be dealt with! NYCitygurl has risen to the challenge and taken on another round of icon pruning. They don't stand a chance...

"They're S.T.A.R.S. Special Tactics and Rescue Squad. They're the best. - let's see how good they really are."

Updates to lab safety policies and terms or service were discussed, modifications are being planned and should be implemented shortly. Please remember that misuse of privileges or misuse of system functions will be dealt with swiftly and warrant immediate quarantine.

"It's nothing personal. But in an hour, maybe two, you'll be banned. And moments later, you'll become one of them. You'll endanger your friends, try to troll them, probably succeed. I'm sorry. That's just the way it is."

Problem users were used for classified purposes then promptly disposed of.[hr][/blockquote]

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    All HTML updates that rely heavily on the code to display should just put this in at the top of the first post as a buffer. It would solve everything:

(if you have no idea what I just did, quote this post and hit "Preview". kthx)

<!--

Text Only Update
    [i]My name is DVeditor. I work for the Mod Squad Corporation, the largest COOLEST and most powerful AWESOME online entity in the world. I'm part of security at a secret high-tech facility, The Tower, an underground laboratory developing experimental viral networking. But there were incidents. The news escaped and everybody visited. Trouble was...they can't stay gone. No one can stay gone from this place.

At the beginning of the 21st century, nine out of every ten homes contain its forums. Its political and geekery influence is felt everywhere. In public, it is the world's leading supplier of Star Wars discussion, spamfests, and healthcare. Unknown, even to its own employees, its massive pull is generated by FORCEBOAT technology, social experimentation, and viral networking.[/i]

"Well, I think I'll go out and get some fresh air for a change."

[b]Your clocks will need to be adjusted soon to give us time to deal with the increasing infection - be sure to check with your local authorities to assure a seamless (and safe) transition.[/b]

"The mods are like protein, changing from liquid to airborne to blood transmission, depending on their environment. They are almost impossible to kill."

[b]Mods came and went for a variety of top-secret purposes. They managed to survive the trip outside and are safely barricaded inside once again.[/b]

"Take the info to the CLASSIFIED facility then assemble a team, we're re-opening the Tower, I want to know what went on down there. Just do it."

[b]Discussions continue for the suggested Hall of Fame forum - labs tests are underway and should have results fairly soon.[/b]

"We fought the ads. We survived the archives. And now, we face more tech issues...good thing we like a challenge."

[b]The corporation had several technical hiccups as upgrades went underway this week. Fortunately the research data was able to be preserved and remains uncompromised.[/b]

"This is what we've been waiting for gentlemen. Confirm at 2:18 and 27 seconds the Image Program is now fully activated."

[b]Many hours of meticulous R&D were put to use as new Halloween banners and icons were put through rigorous user testing. Unfortunately they have spread much faster than anticipated and must be dealt with! NYCitygurl has risen to the challenge and taken on another round of icon pruning. They don't stand a chance...[/b]

"They're S.T.A.R.S. Special Tactics and Rescue Squad. They're the best. - let's see how good they really are."

[b]Updates to lab safety policies and terms or service were discussed, modifications are being planned and should be implemented shortly. Please remember that misuse of privileges or misuse of system functions will be dealt with swiftly and warrant immediate quarantine.[/b]

"It's nothing personal. But in an hour, maybe two, you'll be banned. And moments later, you'll become one of them. You'll endanger your friends, try to troll them, probably succeed. I'm sorry. That's just the way it is."

[b]Problem users were used for classified purposes then promptly disposed of.[/b][hr][/blockquote]

-->

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Thanks Inty. [face_peace]
    Maybe people should upgrade their browsers? ;) IE 7 has been out for some time...just sayin'.

I can edit all the code to be IE 6 compatible though - it's just a pain and I didn't think anyone still used it. I'll fix it for ya.

EDIT: Confirmed working in IE 6 now!

18. SVAndrei

SVAndrei Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 6, 2004
    Nice presentation! Love the logo.

19. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Maybe some of us have no control over the software installed on some of the PCs we use to connect to the internet.
    Same goes for people accessing at public locations, universities etc etc etc. Sorry that no every last institute has upgraded yet, but my point remains........ over use of html back firing resulting in an unreadable update.

The copy and paste of the text looked even less readable without the formating...........

Let fluff, more content.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    As a historical record, HTML encoded MS updates written by mods who have since stepped down are next to useless. Add me to the list of those who would prefer plain markup only.

See, and this uses pretty minimal HTML markup

21. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, my work is still IE6 as well. And there is till side scrolling, the greatest of internet offenses.

22. SVAndrei

Nov 6, 2004
    Indeed, side scrolling is pretty bad. Does help if you have a tilt wheel mouse :p

23. The_Modfather

The_Modfather Jedi Grand Master star 1

Apr 26, 2001
    DV, give them an update, but never discuss the Family business with them.

24. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I really don't feel like making a whole new thread for this (it would be covered in this one) but I just tried to use the word c.ock as in rooster [face_chicken] and it starred it out. I was using it to refer to a rooster. Now, I wasn't quoting the bible (which uses it frequently in many versions). It just seems silly.

</rant>

25. SVAndrei

Nov 6, 2004
    Well then, use the word rooster instead of the other one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.