main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update - October 24th, 2007

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DVeditor, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Add me to the "excessive HTML in MS updates is problematic" crew list. ;) At least make sure a plaintext version gets posted somewhere for history's sake if you want to make the update a fancy one. We've already got one for this week, so it's hardly worth squabbling over, but it might be a good idea to make that a general policy for future uber-HTMLed MSUs.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    This no-HTML issue has come up, oh, like A MILLION times in the past. Every time the "No HTML unless necessary" rule is planted. A few months later, a new slew of mods comes in and uses HTML. Then the issue comes up again...

...I've been here too long.

3. George_Roper

George_Roper Jedi Knight star 7

May 1, 2005
    I'd be for just having the main points listed in plain text below the fancy version.

4. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Might not be a bad idea. Instead of banning HTML completely, we can just require moderators, who want to do HTML, to also do an outline in Plain Text as well.

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Excellent compromise.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree. If it keeps coming up, its something worth noting and looking at. I don't want to necessarily deny the ability to do it, but understand the need for it being done in plain version, too.

I do think we need to remember that not everyone has the huge high res monitors, especially at work, even when we make banners. Maybe we can lower the res when do HTML as a general good practice, at least on the MSUs.

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    That sounds like a good idea to me as well. I always enjoy the HTML updates but we need to make sure that everyone can read them.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Why bother with the HTML at all though. It serves no purpose.

Let's just have the updates in standard board markup, and the time saved by the mod in question could be put to better use elsewhere (on the boards, in modsquad or in real life).

9. carmenite

carmenite Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    One could argue that HTML serves the same purpose of pretty banners. They're not necessary, but they're still nice to have, and fun to make.

10. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    The HTML is fun, a lot of people get a kick out of it, and, providing the mod isn't failing at his moderating duties in the process of providing an HTML-ful Mod Squad update, I don't see any harm in it. Of course it shouldn't be a requirement; of course there's nothing wrong with it if a mod should not provide an HTML update. But the readability/history objection is the important one. And, since we've got a compromise suggested to deal with that, I see no harm in HTML updates, if the mods want to take the time to do them. I enjoy them, in general.

-Paul

11. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    It's fun. People get enjoyment out of it. I don't think there's any pressure on the mods to use it and I'm sure they're better able to determine how they should spend their own time than we are. I don't see the point of denying people bit of a laugh. If a mod wishes to use HTML, let them provided they also post the main points in plain text. The people who want HTML are happy. The people who can't view the HTML are happy. And the people who just want them main points without having to read the extra theme based fluff are happy. And frankly anyone else will never be happy. I think that's everyone.

12. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i used to be anti html but i've warmed to it. who cares if you can't read am MSU from like a year ago? person wasting time reading old MSU's < person wasting time creating html MSU's

but i agree with the main points in plain text thing.

13. SVAndrei

SVAndrei Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 6, 2004
    HTML is fun, and it stimulates the creative part of your brain.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its just down to individual mod preference. Some mods like to put HTML in because thats what they want to do. Others are more "traditional" about just writing the update and leaving it at that.
    I think its fine the way we do it right now. Some weeks you'll get a pretty HTML style MSU and other weeks it'll just be a straightforward write up.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Well, I won't deny that's true, but by that logic, I'm sure there are tons of things you, I, and everyone else has done that probably weren't the best uses of time we needed for some other activities, so we'd better stop doing all fun stuff right this minute. :p If a mod wants to make a fancy update and enjoys doing it, I think that's their prerogative. I'd just prefer if the plaintext option were there as well for readers who want it.

Also, sign-ups are going on for the PT Trivia Game.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Looks like my definition of 'fun' doesn't quite gel with many of the users here.

May I request that the markup version of future updates be posted in a second post beneath the opening one, so that it can be quoted (and futureproofed for viewing) without being encumbered by HTML in the same post.

17. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    What about HTML to open the thread with the first post and then a separate, second post with the Plain Text version?

18. George_Roper

May 1, 2005
    I think that's a good idea.

19. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I like the idea proposed by 506 and jp.

20. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Hey, I'm not saying I would find it fun to sit down and write out a bunch of crap in HTML, just that it's not really my business if someone else does. Sort of like... um... I don't really care what people believe as long as they don't start handing me those comic strips telling me I'm going to hell. :p

And I like your suggestion.

21. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    makes more sense to have it the other way around

22. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    It's McCartney/Lennon, dammit!

23. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well the only reason I say that HTML should be first is because - for updates that want HTML - the opening post is the first thing everyone sees. If someone were to do an HTML update, it would be for the visual effects. So I would want the visual effects to be seen first, not second. Plain Text could come second and wouldn't be affected at all since it'll be a separate post.

24. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I couldn't disagree more. The first priority of the MS Update is to convey information to everyone, not impress us with your html skills.

Hence the plain text should come first to ensure that everyone can read the update when first opened. The second, and potentially more important point, is that following demotion an MS update in html is completely unreadable, and often becomes significantly longer than the original post. Hence someone looking through an old MS update will open the thread, sees the babble of unreabable nonsense and have to scroll to read the plain text version. Those not in the know will simply close the thread unaware of the plain text version sitting below.

To be honest I'd go a step further and limit the plain text version to main points only, and keep it free of the fluff which has plagued MS Updates recently. That gives you an executive summary in the opening post for those only interested in actual updates, then the mod is free to impress us all with their instant wit and ready-repartee in the subsquent post.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    OTOH, you have my updates which are always guaranteed to be HTML-free as well as including attempts at witty and I am fairly certain that you can't say that my updates *don't* contain the information contained within the attempted-wit that needs to be conveyed though, right?

Which means it's not a problem with the wit and repartee so much as the individual mod. And that is what makes us all human... or robotic-attempting-human in my case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.