main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update - October 4, 2006

Discussion in 'Communications' started by RebelScum77, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    A spinoff site consisting of disenchanted ex-TF.N users? Naaaaaaaah! I don't believe one could have been made without our knowing about this. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why even attempt and try to bring up the whole OT/PT Basher/Gusher subject again? Are you trying to tell the staff here that they've lost to many members to survive, because they don't moderate and run the site as you and some others see fit? Coming here and bringing up the subject, yet again, isn't going to help your cause.

Seriously, you found a site that is run better to your's and other people's standards. Good, good for you. Now why are you over here bringing up a subject that was decided on months ago? I'd think you'd be perfectly happy to have found a site that is exactly what you wanted this site to be.

2. Boba16

Boba16 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 2006
    [ApolloSmileGirl]
    Seriously, why even attempt and try to bring up the whole OT/PT Basher/Gusher subject again? Are you trying to tell the staff here that they've lost to many members to survive, because they don't moderate and run the site as you and some others see fit? Coming here and bringing up the subject, yet again, isn't going to help your cause.

That is my point, is that it isn't just a bunch of bashers who went there, it is actually a site that has both points of view, which this has none of anymore, with the exception of a few which I could probably name on my hand.

I was very suprised to hear from many PT gushers, or whatever you want to call them, guys like Sithrules 70 and Get in Gear, guys that were here at TFN who actually love the PT movies. It isn't like Originaltrilogy.com were that is populated by a specific group, but atleast they are honest about, hence the name.

Seriously, you found a site that is run better to your's and other people's standards. Good, good for you. Now why are you over here bringing up a subject that was decided on months ago? I'd think you'd be perfectly happy to have found a site that is exactly what you wanted this site to be.

Jeez, why don't just say, "Don't let the door kick you in the ass...." If I was a longtime member of a SW website like you are, I would atleast want to know why so many people are bolting, but then again, as I said, this place is slowly become what you guys wanted to be. I just say have fun saying for the 8 millionth time how great the PT is, cause I know it would get real boring if every one of my posts were, "The OT is awesome!"

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    I have no idea what ORS is, but people have been leaving the JC for various other sites for years, it isn't something new. Some prefer it here, some prefer it other places.

You know, the JC can't be everything for everyone. Thankfully (for fandom as a whole), there are other sites that can meet the needs of those who do not like the JC.

4. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    It is www.outerrimsieges.com, and it is the exact same thing as this site when it comes to SW, you talk about the movies. Originaltrilogy.com is more for fans who want the O-OT on DVD in good quality, so that is definitely not for everyone.

But about 95% of the members of ORS are from TFN, and as I said, it aint a bunch of bashers over there, it is pretty even in the views. TFN should be for everyone, and from the looks of old topics on the boards, it did have all opinions, and now I see it is slanted one way and I think that is real sad.

5. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    I believe that ORS = Outer Rim Sieges.com

6. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Yep, still haven't heard of it, aside from the commercial posted in this thread.

7. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Is it possible to be off topic in an MS Update? Apparently so. Enough with the spamvertising please. We know how you all feel, and this isn't the thread for such a debate.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    if the jc were a large planet, and spinoff sites were moons, it would have more moons than jupiter by now.

9. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Many spinoff sites are like Pluto. They get hyped up for a while, thinking they are part of the elite and best, but they really aren't any different than the hundreds of other similarly-sized nothings out there.

10. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    I can sense the conflict in all of you, let go of your hate. You know your true destiny is www.outerrimsieges.com. TFN hasn't fully driven it from you, I know there is still good in all of you at ORS.com.

11. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    I'm not sure this is the right thread for this. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not, but anyway yeah, there are several spin-off sites and we're one of them. TFn has a great base, and it's worth noting. Some people love the protection of mods, others loathe it. To each his own.

Of course, all the mods and ex-mods coming in here and telling Boba he's stupid, offering up astronomy parallels, and telling him that going to another site that serves his needs is ******** proves his point to an extent. I mean, the dude's trying to tell you why he left, and instead of listening, you're telling him that you collectively couldn't care less.

Whatever, it just reminds me of why I took off. And btw neither I, nor any of the other members at the ORS put anyone up to this. It's legit.

12. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Then make a thread on the topic, rather then hijacking the update.:) Also stop advertising the ORS boards, if you have a problem with TFN, talk about the issues, not your board.

13. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Honestly, I personally couldn't care less. I know some people don't like it here. I also know that some people do. You try to moderate to please as many people as possible, but sometimes that just ends up making nobody completely happy. I'm completely serious when I say it's great that there are a variety of sites out there that cater to different tastes, as it only helps the overall fandom.

Although, I do have to mention that nobody in this thread said "Boba is stupid" or "Boba is retarded for going to another site that better serves his needs". Most of the comments are more along the lines of "it's great that he found another site he likes more, but is it necessary to bring it up here, aside from the free advertising that you're getting out of it?"

There are thousands of users who seem to be happy here, and there are thousands who are happy at other sites. It is virtually impossible to please every person all the time. Otherwise, we'd have no need for different political parties, 100+ television networks, dozens of radio stations, thousands of books and magazines, wide varieties of restaurants, different styles of houses, different clothing styles, different types of cars, movie theaters with dozens of screens, etc. Everyone has slightly different tastes, and it's good for humanity to have different options to choose from. Some people may like one option more than another, and that's great for them... but it doesn't mean that option is best for everyone.

14. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    You're right. There's not usually one single site that serves everyone needs. I visit several just for SW... most people do. I had my tongue in my cheek when I made the comment about others telling him he was stupid.

I was more or less just trying to say that this was not a recruitment campaign on the part of the ORS staff. I'm not personally trying to push the site in Comms and we didn't try to push others to do it either.

And now i'm done. I said I wasn't here to recruit and hijack the thread and I meant it.

15. Cinnamon_Windu

Cinnamon_Windu Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 10, 2005
    Why do I get the feeling that TFN is turning into the OS?

I don't think I really need to say this, but so there's no confusion: This is definitely not an ad for the OS.

16. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    This is true, nobody from ORS put me up to this, and this isn't a recruitment, and I was just having alittle fun with you guys cause nobody seems to care that people have left your site in droves in the past year, and it has nothing do with no more SW movies.

The fact that I am doing this should tell you how great this site was and before alot of fans left, this site had everything. But just go through the PT, CT, and saga threads, it is roughly the same people who post with the exception of couple different people who chime in once in a while. And god knows how many socks post here so you never know who is gettng their views in twice.

I know alot of you don't care if people leave the site, and I say that is real shame. Cause no matter how many SW films you like, or how much you love or hate George Lucas, this site should reflect the views of every type of SW fan, and the threads shouldn't be so moderated in the sense that if someone says that Mace Windu beat Palpatine in ROTS duel, a mod like RebelScum who doesn't agree with that line of thought starts throwing threats around towards banning people. And if anyone doesn't believe go to the PT forum and read that whole thread, it is utterly pathetic that I have to worry about getting banned cause I think Mace Windu legitimately beat Palpatine before Anakin walked in.

That is the stuff that you guys have gone way overboard on, and my point about ORS is, the bashers just didn't leave TFN, alot of the gushers did too, so that may tell you something.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    And god knows how many socks post here so you never know who is gettng their views in twice.

And God knows how many socks are people that claim to have left. But that's not the point anyone is trying to make. Like Jeff said, we try to moderate to the best of our abilities and make as many people happy as we can, but sometimes that's just not possible. I'd be lying if I told you ORS was the first, seventh or even fifteenth spin-off site of users that wanted something else from their Star Wars experience than we could offer them.

Whether it's the abilitity to curse, the ability to write slash fan fiction, or the ability to lambast an author freely, there are some things we do not allow or ways that we have to moderate that do not sit right with a segment of fans and they choose to go somewhere else.

Is this what we want? Not at all.

We want as many users as possible and the happier, the better. Is it something that we've had to deal with for the better overall "health" of the boards? Definitely. I don't think decisions made that might turn a group of users off is made by the MS lightly, but that doesn't mean we won't make them. If we do, and that group has to find somewhere else to go, we're disappointed, but we've done what we have to do. We hope that they come back for that aspect of SW that they CAN get here, whether it be Community, Games, Movies, whatever...when they aren't at their other hangouts.

18. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    Hey, I am all for following the rules, but sometimes you guys go overboard and I will give you an example of RebelScum77 modding when fans were saying a definite yes or no whether Palpatine or Mace won the battle:

RebelScum77
    Title: Manager:
    -Prequel Trilogy

Date Posted: 7/21 8:23pm Subject: RE: *OFFICIAL THREAD* Mace Windu vs. Darth Sidious Discussion v3.0
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the actual argument, or what I do or do not believe happened. All I said is stop with the "yes"/"no" voter labeling, as most people no longer know, or even care what it means. And it's become something used to just to try and knock people down.

She was essentially saying in the thread that you could not say you definitely thought Mace or Sidious ever won the first battle before Anakin walked in. Now she may be right, but is she saying that we can't say they we 100% think one of them won? Is that against the rules if there are some fans that are naive and think Sidious or Mace clearly won the battle?

It goes to my point that in a thread on Mace/Sidious battle, you weren't even allowed to say that one of the fighters actually won cause RebelScum77 feels we don't know after watching ROTS. OK, RebelScum77 you may not know, and as I said you could be right, but who are you to lambast someone for thinking Mace clearly won? Isn't that an opinion?

19. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

I have been on this site for longer than EVERYONE who has posted on this thread.

And I can tell you that this site used to be good. There used to be debate, discussion and :eek: conversation. Now it is just a bunch of mods who haven't been here 5 minutes coming up with banning strategies and policing every thread in case a couple of words are posted that do not directly link to the topic.

And let us not forget the sheer idiocy of a lot of the threads - questioning obvious plot points, asking "who are those guys with the Emperor?" or worshipping George Lucas (for some reason). The whole place seems to have dumbed down - hundreds of inane threads that talk about things that make no sense, are not there or have been discussed ad nauseum.

Sorry, but this site is a bit of a joke.

20. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004

You're getting to the point where you should really be PMing your concerns, or whatever they are at this point, to an administrator. Especially, if you're going to call out a particular mod that you have a problem with.

21. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I've never read that thread, but just going by that quote, I think she said to stop labelling users who think one way or another. That's basically "discussing the fans". Don't know how they were being labeled. But if a mod has to tell people not to call each other "you yes-voters" and "you no-voters" then there's definitely something wrong with the thread, not the mod(s).

I'm assuming a lot now, but that's how I would immediately understand that warning.

Who was the wise man that once said "99% of the problems is caused by 1% of the users"? Because most of the time it still applies. It's always between 1 to 5 individual users who cause problems (by our definition). If that causes 20 people to leave, it's only because they sympathize, and that's something we can't know and they don't have to. Or at least not have to take to such extremes. I'd dare say that if they stayed, they would barely come into contact with a mod.

There is a difference between having a problem with this site and being a problem of it.

22. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Any moderator issues or complaints should be taken to PM to the admins or the moderator. That does not go here.

All of this is probably better in a thread of it's own, but there's no real need to start one as we'd both state and restate our opinions and validation for doing what we do or feeling the way we do and we've been there and done that. I'm sorry some of you feel that way about here, but you are enjoying the other site and for that I'm happy for you. Now I'm going to ask that we go back to the update. Thanks, everyone. :)

23. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    I try PM's and you guys give me the same BS, atleast this is a forum that we can talk and understand why fans who have posted at TFN are leaving in droves. And again, this isn't just about the bashers, the reason I started this up is because alot of them are PT gushers.

As for being happy they have found another site, doesnt' that trouble you in the least? The fans I am talking about at that other side I mentioned are not casual fans who posted here once and didn't like it, most of them posted at TFN all during the PT movies, and once the mods seem to take a different tact after ROTS for some reason, most people bolted.

These aren't casual fans who left, these are fans who had thousands of posts at TFN, and if you think that is great, then if I ran this site, I would wonder what place you wanted here, one that includes or excludes? Cause it sounds like alot of you guys are not happy cause many of those ex-TFn'ers have found another place, but happy you don't have to deal with them anymore. That to me is a big difference.

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    [image=http://trouble.philadelphiaweekly.com/archives/MERRY-GO-%20ROUND.jpg]

I think that chief among your problems, is your inability to listen to what has been told to you many times.

If you insist on keeping this subject going, to which I can see your fellow ex-TFNers are really solidly backing up your take on the situation, at least start a thread to discuss it. You've only had three mods ask you to do this, and to quit hijacking the Update thread. Your argument has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this particulor thread.

25. Boba16

Jun 18, 2006
    You guys all know if I start a thread, it will get locked, and everytime I have tried to bring up this subject matter, my posts have been deleted or have been told now, 'it has been discussed' before.

If the mods can 100% assure me I can start a thread and it won't be locked, I will gladly continue elsewhere. And I will even go a step further, if one of the mods can start the thread so it looks legit, "Why are there so many TFN posters leaving?" That would be great too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.