main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update | September 22, 2002

Discussion in 'Communications' started by jedi-mind-trick, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Well, it's hard not to be cynical when certain members of the Administration cannot spell correctly. ;) :p

GO 'CLONES!

2. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    guys, you really don't have to be so cyncial.

How can we keep from being cynical after reading Fear's post? If that's true it's disturbing.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    If the regular members weren't greeted with cynicism all the time, we wouldn't have a reason to be cynical with the MS.

4. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    It seems to me that the biggest problem with the whole PM The_Modfather thing is us regular folk still have no way of knowing whether our nominations are heard. So why not do this: Let one or two of the ACers (presuming it still exists at the time) have a little peak at the nomination list. A nice little checks and balances type deal.

Amazing.

5. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    Looks good, smells good. Hey, it's tastes good, baby!

Thanks for the update, Tricky ;) [face_mischief]

...and a Jango

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's cyclical, Salty. Many admins get frustrated with the cynicism they see with members, and in turn, a lot of members get frustrated with that same cynicism.

7. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Well, it's hard not to be cynical when certain members of the Administration cannot spell correctly

[face_blush]

//whistles innocently

8. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Much of Fear's post was taken from inside the Mod Squad, via a leaked thread, and it was put out of context as well.

I'm sure the person who posted it is getting a big laugh out of all the drama they are helping to create, but so be it. Such is the way of people who genuinely do have bad intentions.

9. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    Liz and teh admins are holding back the electric car!!!1! :eek:

10. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    you mean the flying car.

11. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Off topic, but..
    Those who care to stir up drama are as bad as the administration they feel is corrupt (notice how I emphasized they feel).

Get a life, move on and live a little. This is just a board for us to discuss stuff; mainly Star Wars. If you've got so much free time as to stir up problems with people you've most likely never met face to face, why don't you go and put some of your energy to good use instead of trying to destroy a perfectly decent discussion?

12. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002

I understand trying to throw us lowly members a bone, but come on. You might as well just come right out and tell us our opinions aren't as good as the Administration and you will continue to just choose only the people who you think are worthy. Nevermind that the Mods are actually supposed to serve US the membership, and we should therefore be allowed to have some sort of say in who moderates US.

And even if we are not allowed such a privilege, the Administration should not try to appease us with false promises. After this, I truly think some of you think that the regular members have no brains at all. PMing a mod sock? Give us a little credit. We are not stupid, we know exactly how much our suggestions would matter (read: diddly squat), and something like that is just a clever ploy to sweep yet another issue under the rug.

13. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Much of Fear's post was taken from inside the Mod Squad, via a leaked thread, and it was put out of context as well.

I'm not sure what context you could put those remarks in that would make them any better. Unless this was just some MS joke thread.

14. Crimson-Larko

Crimson-Larko Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 14, 2001
    If the Mod Squad feel they have nothing to hide from the members, then I'm sure we'd all love to see the original quote so that we may asertain certain facts from it.

15. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Strider, you and anyone else are free to see it as cynically as you would like. It does not change the fact that it is genuine, and meant with good intentions. I for one will do my best to make sure things are done in a good fashion, and that there is not any "sweeping under the rug" done, whatever the system that is used.

Sometimes, people really do mean and do well, and it would be nice to be given credit for that.

16. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    "Much of Fear's post was taken from inside the Mod Squad, via a leaked thread, and it was put out of context as well."

Well then why not show the rest of it, so we can see it in context?
    Because as is it doesn't look too good. [face_plain]

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "Strider, you and anyone else are free to see it as cynically as you would like. It does not change the fact that it is genuine, and meant with good intentions."

But you have to understand, when you do everything behind closed doors, it gives us little reason to trust you. Sure, you might listen to every nomination we throw at you, and you might make some of them mods. But we'll never fully know since everything is done in secret. Fair? Probably not. But secrecy on the internet is always grounds for suspicion.

"Sometimes, people really do mean and do well, and it would be nice to be given credit for that."

Again, we don't always know who those people are. I'd gladly give credit where credit is due, if I could.

Amazing.

18. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    This pisses me off, and I will say so right up front.

There are some people out there who exist solely for the sake of causing problems for the administration. Their goal is to cause drama, nothing more and nothing less. So, they hack into the Mod Squad and get threads or they get the threads leaked to them.

So damaging quotes from people's honest opinions are put out for all to see. And the people responsible for this laugh, and they congratulate themselves on a job well done.

Meanwhile, people who have good intentions and do the best they can for the members and their fellow admins have to clean up the mess they leave behind. We try our damndest, you know. I do, at least.

There is nothing that says opinions cannot be changed, or that they cannot be misunderstood. It burns me to no end that the people who want to cause problems for the administration and good admins in it are getting their way, simply because people refuse to look at the good inside people and see that yes, some people really do mean well, and really will do well.

19. JediStrider

JediStrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2002
    Knight, I give you credit. I do believe that a lot of the Administration try to do good. And I appreciate the fact that you are out here defending your stance seemingly all alone; that takes courage. But I do not give credit for something that doesn't deserve it. There is no reason for the regular memebers to not see a list of who is up for consideration, or to even have at least a say in the nominations. If people are thin skinned enough to have their feelings hurt for not being chosen as a mod on a Star Wars message board, they need to take a gander at the real world. I really think that the members should be given more credit for their ability to supress heartache over something as trivial as that. Honestly I think that is just an excuse.

20. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    I'm sick of seeing all of y'all argue about that post and bickering about it. Move on. You're not going to see it and causing problems about it will get you nowhere. If you don't like what you see here, either move on and find yourself a new board to visit, or just ignore it. This place is here for discussion in the first place. Sure, there are some nice ideas and proposals floating around. Unfortunately, you guys who focus on the negative never allow anything positive to happen around here. So why not shut the heck up and try and offer your thoughts and ideas on what is going on here and try to make a difference instead of moaning and groaning about stuff you know you won't see.

Honestly, think realistically.

21. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    [image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/drama.jpg]

22. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    and please remember that we're volunteers. None of us are getting paid. We do this b/c we want to help the forums. Also, this is an Internet message board. Keep that in mind. Try not to take life too seriously, no one gets out of it alive. :)

EDIT: nice pic, G-S :D

23. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Unlike some of the cynics, I truly have nothing but love and respect for the Jedi Council and what it stands for. Sure, some of my recent (read: within 2 weeks) Communications posts may have been in a sour, bordering on hostile, manner, but that's only because I care about maintaining a fine balance between the moderators and the members.

I heartily agree with those who want a checks-and-balance system between the members and the moderators. I don't think it's fair that we have to kow-tow to all the stuff the Administration has set up. Obedience of the rules is one thing, but I think it's high time that the members have something to rely on instead of futile threads asking for more privileges and accusing mods of being power-hungry or what-not.

We need a voice. Something we need to keep our heads held high, so we can look at mods straight in the eye when we speak. The suggestion of member participation in moderator elections is a step in the right direction. A complete remodeling of the Advisory Council, complete with a true useful purpose, is another. Just one thing like those is all many members are asking, including myself.

I know this isn't a democracy. I know it'll never become one. But we members need a power. A voice. Something that gives us the freedom to assist in how this board functions. KW once said that the mods are an extention of the TF.N ownership. That may be true, but if it weren't for ordinary Joes such as YodaJeff or AYBABTU or solojones, there would be absolutely no purpose for the Administration at all.

In no way do I suggest an indictment against the Administration. They may be shadowy, bordering on unreliable at times, but as a whole, they are just fine. There's no need to blame or charge them for their occasional failure to properly communicate with us. A small change in the system can easiy correct that, and as long as something happens, I'll be happy, as will many other members.

GO 'CLONES!

24. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    "Also, this is an Internet message board. Keep that in mind."

Why is that argument always brought up during drama? If this is nothing but an internet message board, why can't we see the Mod Squad? If it truly means nothing in the end, let the regular users see it. After all, it's just a message board.

Amazing.

25. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    Could we perhaps continue the discussion about Mod Nominations in another thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.