main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update: Week Ending 8/27/03

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    Try doing your job and communicating with members in Comms. Don't just pay attention to the people looking for drama.

"This is Dr. Fraiser Crane, Im a listening...."

Oh darn, Im not a mod. :(

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just for clarification, as this statement seems incredibly overbearing, if I were to post in a social thread that I had a lot of fun at a party on Saturday but had way too much to drink... that would be ok right? But to say I went to a party on Saturday and got pretty drunk... that would not be ok?

stril (and Stryphe) -- basically, the gist is "use common sense." Don't be out there glorifying the drunkenness but mentioning that you had a drink or two would probably fly. Obviously, FF has different sets of issues with their members posting about drinking (especially since some of those people might be *known* to be underage), but that's an FF issue for them to deal with.

So, with your example, yes mentioning that you had a good weekend but had a bit too much to drink would probably fly but the "I got so wasted!" portion would probably not.

It may be a tad overbearing to some, but really I don't think it will come up TOO terribly much.

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The problem I have is that " All talk of someone?s state of drunkeness is not acceptable." doesn't really jive up with what you are saying dp4m... One seems completely unreasonable and the other seems reasonable.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The problem I have is that " All talk of someone?s state of drunkeness is not acceptable." doesn't really jive up with what you are saying dp4m... One seems completely unreasonable and the other seems reasonable.

Well, if you stick to the generalities of "common sense," I can't see how most people would run afoul of this. So if you'd like to stick with the "reasonable" definition as opposed to the one you view as "unreasonable" you should probably still be okay.

If that makes any sense! :)

5. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    DP4m, thanks for answering. So what about jokes that involve the mention of alcohol?

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    DP4m, thanks for answering. So what about jokes that involve the mention of alcohol?

As always, my advice is to err on the side of caution: as we've seen recently in some Comms threads, some jokes don't go over as well as others. ;)

So, basically, the "case by case" theory will probably come into play there...

7. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well ok. I rarely mention drinking, as I rarely drink. But in the event of a birthday party or something, I thought I would seek clarification. I'll just keep using common sense.

8. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Ok, check.

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    good to see you guys officially putting your foot down about the under age requirement.......while this may be a family friendly forum we don't want children cramping our style!
    ;)

10. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Re: New Forum Suggestion - Rogue1-and-a-half proposed a JC Film History/School Forum idea that would cover the following: Silent Pictures and Founding Fathers ; Talkies ; Directors ; The Studio Era ; Foreign Film Influences ; Independents ; Terminology ; Each Decade?s Influence ;Questions and Answers ; Workshops ; Technical Filmmaking ; Screenwriting ; and SPFX. Discussion continues in Mod Squad.

Unnecesarry. The Ampitheatre is supposed to handle these topics. If these topics are to be discussed, perhaps more attention should be paid to sweeping the dirty floor of the Amph, instead of simply adding another room.

11. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Negative, as according to the description of The Amphitheatre it states that the forum is used for the "Discussion and debate of music (film music, instruments, classical, theory), art, literature, dramatic works (film, theater, TV) and cultural topics with your fellow Jedi Council members. Please visit the Welcome Thread before posting." ;)

This new forum idea fits not where within this area.

12. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    "dramatic works (film, theater, TV)"

Notice the "film" lazily sitting before a comma and after that delightful curved line. That indicates that those subjects Rogue means to start a new forum for fit right into the Amphitheatre. What is the purpose of a new forum that talks about film history when the current forum to discuss the serious nature of film (among other art forms) suffers from crowding by off-topic threads? Why bother to create a new forum when with an hour's worth of cleanup in the Amph and a new catalyst thread on Film History, Rogue's desire will be met?

Film History is a subject for another Board, too focused and liable to open the door to other highly specified forums that we do not need. For God's sake, we have a Small Screen SW forum simply to discuss Ewoks, Droids, the Holiday Special and a half-hour's worth of shorts! The Amphitheatre is broad to catch these sort of ideas and negate the need for more special interest boards. That is what it was created for; if it is not being used in that fashion, well, perhaps it needs a clearer stated direction.

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Lord Bane...
    "we have a Small Screen SW forum simply to discuss Ewoks, Droids, the Holiday Special and a half-hour's worth of shorts!"

Don't forget the commercials! :eek:

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Like commercials for the non-existent 2003 action figures.

15. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    I still wonder how a whole forum was created for so few scraps of SW material. An episode of the Muppets? How this was ever approved, I don't know.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I still wonder how a whole forum was created for so few scraps of SW material. An episode of the Muppets? How this was ever approved, I don't know.

- Droids cartoon
    - Ewoks cartoon
    - Holiday Special
    - Commercials
    - Clone Wars cartoon
    - The Ewok Adventure
    - The Battle for Endor

That's already MORE than the entire Star Wars movie franchise right there. And we break it down into one Forum for three movies and an additional Forum for each of the current Prequels.

How this was ever approved, I don't know! [face_shocked]

17. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    What really started the whole movement was the announcement of the Clone Wars cartoon. That is and has primarily been the focus of that forum. But since the cartoons are on TV, it was decided to corral all the TV stuff in one place even if it was one episode with Miss Piggy.

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    The Small Screen Star Wars forum was created for pretty much one sole reason - the Clone Wars cartoons on the Cartoon Network.

Based on industry and fan "buzz," the series looks - and still does, btw - to transcend all of the various arbitrary purist/completist/canon/EU fandom classifications found all throughtout SW fandom.

The cartoons are going to have a reach into your average "SW fan" which has not been seen since X-Wing and Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games, the movie novellizations and the old Kenner action figures.

All of the various other "stuff" from the Muppets TV show to the Ewoks and Droids cartoons were never used to justify the existence of the new forum. Those were all just lagniappe.

The forum is there because when the Clone Wars cartoon starts up, people will be talking. And not just the EU people. And not just the movie people. And not just the PT people. It will be all of them in unison.

19. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Just don't get up to go to the bathroom or you'll miss it. They're only 2-3 minutes in length as opposed to a half hour. :(

20. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Hey, if we can discuss for hundreds of pages whether or not a 2 second scene involving a Rodian and a human changes his character, we can most certainly talk about that half hour Muppets epsiode in detail. ;)

21. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    Heh, I still see it as making mountains out of molehills. I voiced my opinion when this idea came up - seriously, the conversation can be split into the various movie forums with ease - and I stand by it.

I guess we're closer than ever to that Sports Forum, eh? [face_mischief]

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Actually, and I could be wrong, but I seem to remember saying about the same thing. I thought we could have a dedicated 3SA thread and NSA could do the same.

23. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    [in reference to LB's post]
    ...As long as the forum's about shockball, grav ball, nuna-ball (both amateur and professional), rocket jumping, blob racing, swoop racing, cracian thumper racing and/or various target-gun sports (blaster pistols, rifles and carbines, etc.) you might be right. ;)

24. Lord Bane

May 26, 1999
    [In ref. to DS' post]

!!

My point exactly. Here, let my just give DP and Joel a call and we can get rid of the forum in no time! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.