main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Mod Squad Update - Week Ending November 24th

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kadue, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Because as the Clone Wars project moves steadily forward, so does the whole spoiler process. They go hand-in-hand.

2. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    "I am currently leaning towards a Clone Wars-specific forum, just because of the sheer potential it has in bringing traditionally-opposed subsets of Star Wars fandom together in common discussion."

Absolutely! And a swift smiting to anybody who mentions the "c-word" one way or another would be in order as well, I think.

Poster A- Well, seeing as what I read in Clone Wars Book #17 is canon, then-
    BOOM!!!

or

Poster B-Bah! That novel isn't canon anyway, so-
    BOOM!

3. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    So, the question is whether anyone feels they will be spoiled for Episode III via an expanded universe source - a Clone Wars game, a Clone Wars novel, a Clone Wars cartoon, a Clone Wars comic, etc?

Take for example, even if a Clone Wars novel comes right out and flashes forward to the exact Anakin Skywalker/Obi-Wan lava fight, is anyone going to put any stock into how it will actually occur in Episode III?

Even if the EU author said he worked with Lucas to write the scene in question?

Or will it simply be "That's not a spoiler, that's EU."

4. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    But let's suppose early next year we learn of a filming location and it's described exactly like a locale in one of the Clone Wars episodes. If someone going spoiler-free went in and saw that as a spoiler fan went into great detail about it, there would be problems and rightfully so.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    True. That would not be good.

6. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Other moderator issues

I think I'd prefer that if a moderator is leaving for a few days to focus on things, if they'd just stay a mod. If they're leaving for over 3 weeks, then pop em down.

And my paycheck is 10 times the mods, but only 2 times the managers :(

¤Night

7. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    That's why I can support a separate forum for the Clone Wars, but I'd have a spoiler and spoiler free area.

8. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    Because as the Clone Wars project moves steadily forward, so does the whole spoiler process. They go hand-in-hand.

Perhaps I?m misunderstanding, but I think that it?s still the same problem that is faced in Literature. We?re constantly getting new material as the NJO and prequel novels move forward. We see new books approach, we get spoilers for them, they get released, and spoilers are considered spoilers for one month after the release date.

Would be unrealistic to give the "Clones Project" its own forum? That way all the discussion is in one place and not stilted.

I think that it would be unrealistic. So, the latest Clone Wars game is released. What happens when people try to discuss it in both Games and Clone Wars? Both discussions should be allowed to happen I think. It?s a perfectly valid topic for both forums. The same with new comics, novels, web pages like HoloNetNews, which properly go into Literature. And the television show will go wherever it goes. I think that taking the novel, comic, game plot discussion, and web pages from Literature will lobotomize the forum.

To the best of my knowledge, no post NJO projects have been announced, which means that a year from now the focus of LFL will be entirely on the prequels, specifically the Clone Wars. Anyone who?s spent time in the Literature forum knows how quiet it can get between new books, and taking away the primary source of new fodder for discussion might very well kill the forum. Perhaps I?m being alarmist, but I don?t think so.

Now, Literature already handles the games? plot discussion, some RPG material, comics, novels, official websites, and television shows (i.e. Droids cartoons, the Holiday Special, etc). Why not put everything of the Clone Wars EU into Literature (and possibly give the forum a more accurate title like EU Main)? Everything else that gets discussed in the EU is fodder for discussion in Literature, why change the arrangement?

If the argument against putting it in Literature is that Purist fans have no desire go to a EU forum, then I say tough. Just because one kind of EU is considered more palatable than another doesn?t change the fact that it?s EU. If someone wanted to discuss comics without having to see threads about books, they?d be out of luck here. It?s the same principle when it comes to the other aspects of the project. If you want to talk about a EU product, you should do it in a EU forum.

I understand the ?lets try to bring Purists and Completists together? attitude. But I don?t think that we?ll have any less trouble by creating a new forum. From the perspective of a EU fan, I actually think that it would help the EU more to have the Purists come into the Literature (or whichever other suitable EU) forum. Who knows? Maybe they?ll see discussion on Infinities or a stand-alone post ROTJ novel like Tatooine Ghost and be tempted to put up a copy, and actually come to like it.

If the argument against putting it in Literature is that the name is misleading, then you have a point. Literature implies novels only. But you try to tell Valiento that Kyle Katarn discussions have to be kept in Games, or telling Genghis12 that he can?t bring in RPG information to support a point. As I said above, Literature has been EU Main in fact if not name for quite some time.

If the argument against putting it in Literature is that the new products will overwhelm the forum, I think that you potentially have a point, but not yet. We?ve been dealing with multiple new products every month for a long time now and new spoilers are always coming in on a regular basis. The only item of the Clone Wars arc that threatens to overwhelm the forum is the television show. I say that after the show is released, if it threatens to overwhelm the forum, and then create a new forum specifically for Star Wars television.

Anyways, I?m done ranting for now. [face_blush]

9. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Wonderful Update :)

Welcome TWD, and congradulations to JMT ;)

10. Helmet

Helmet Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 1, 2001
    I agree with the Spoiler Free Forum.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If the argument against putting it in Literature is that the name is misleading, then you have a point. Literature implies novels only. But you try to tell Valiento that Kyle Katarn discussions have to be kept in Games, or telling Genghis12 that he can?t bring in RPG information to support a point. As I said above, Literature has been EU Main in fact if not name for quite some time.

Hey, I'd like you to try telling ME that I can't use an RPG source in a debate as well... ;)

But I'm confused... is this debate over whether to create an entirely new forum in ADDITION to where things will likely be discussed (Lit, Games, etc.) or INSTEAD of those places (i.e. no discussion on Clone Wars in Lit, Games, etc.)?

Because, from my perspective, I will continue to discuss things only in Lit and RPG. I don't go to movie forums to discuss, and I don't go elsewhere to discuss. I join in fun threads in JCC and debate and such in RPG and EU Lit. If there's something to discuss on a Clone War novel, I'll do it in EU Lit. Same with storyline for the cartoon. But that shouldn't preclude a Clone War forum for pure discussion for other people that want to discuss Clone War projects only and not other Lit or EU...

12. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "I will continue to discuss things only in Lit and RPG. I don't go to movie forums to discuss.... other people that want to discuss Clone War projects only and not other Lit or EU... "

It think you nailed it right there. There is probably going to be a very significant number of people that want to discuss this Clone Wars project and how it relates to other EU projects, novels, comics, games, etc. AND, there is probably going to be an equal number of people that don't want to include other EU sources in the discussion and just stick to the series itself. If you try to crush both groups into one forum (even if they are divided into SA and NSA) there will be some very unhappy people on both sides.

(btw, I like your Black quote in your sig. ;) )

13. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Happy birthday sape,

Was it just me or was this update short?

Axl.

14. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Compared to some recent MS updates it's not short at all.

Compared to the AC updates though... :p

Probably because all meaningful discussion goes through the AC now right?

;)

15. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Was it just me or was this update short?

Nope, it's just the way I write. With the exception of one dot-point, I wrote the entire text of this update. Since I'm not known for being very verbose, this reflected that. I tried to cover as much of the facts as I could, but if you want to ask about the details of something, go ahead. :)

16. AC_PressSecretary

AC_PressSecretary Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2002
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    AC Press Services

The Advisory Council would like to express its deepest regret for setting such a high standard for JC updates. The feelings and writing abilities of the administration were not brought into consideration when creating the Council's extraordinary updates, nor was the significant amount of pressure placed upon the administration to produce an update on the level of the Advisory Council Update.

Again, the Advisory Council wishes to offer its sincerest apologies for such thoughtless acts.

For a hard copy transcript of this release, please send a Private Message and $5 US to AC_PressSecretary

17. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Nice update Kadue. :)

Happy Birthday Sape! :D

[image=http://darthimran.netfirms.com/BD.jpg]

:D

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Is it just me or is the AC getting too big for it's britches? :p

19. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Is it just me or is the AC getting too big for it's britches?

I misread the last word in that sentence the first time I read it. I think it was more interesting my way.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, well, that's not my fault. :p

21. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    But if you get accused of being an oligarchist because of your thinly-veiled aspersions on the democratic process as represented in the AC... that will be your fault. :D

22. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Yeah.....OK.

Can we stay on topic in here? ?[face_plain]

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Not usually...

or was that a rhetorical question?

I'm so confused... ?[face_plain]

Is there any truth to the rumors the problem users were not actually Obi-Zahn Kenobi?

24. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    DA, you're new, aren't you?

::pat on shoulder:: There there.

25. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I'm not kidding.

[face_plain]

Edit: If you're not going to discuss something, please don't post here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.