main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update (Week of 3/3/04 -> 3/10/04)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Following my smash-hit Transformers update of a few weeks ago, I give you the post-resignation/drama cartoon military drama... GI Joe: The Movie!

"My job is to whip you into shape, and I mean whip! There's only two ways out of my command, on your feet like a man, or in a ditty bag. An itty-bitty ditty bag! GOT IT?!"
    • In the "new Joe recruit" section we've got Tunnel Rat (The Bigger Fish), Law (Vaderize03), Jinx (Maulfly) and Lt. Falcon (DamonD).

• In the "Cobra-La" section we've got Golobulus (VoidDancer), Pythona (nashira) and Nemesis Enforcer (DarthSapient).

• In the promotion section, strilo was promoted to Chief Warrant Officer (Manager). He's still an enlisted man, so all you officers can still beat him up.

"We don't know who you are, where you came from, or even what side you're on. Why should we risk our necks on your behalf?"
    "Does *this* answer your question?"
    "A gem of that size answers all my questions"
    • We are attempting to find someone literary to fill the Amphitheater Moderator position. Given that most of you (from your comments about the EU) wouldn't know a book if it bit you on the ass, this is proving harder than expected. Watch this space...

• We're also in process of trying to find one of the Roleplaying Forum folks to pretend to be a Moderator in that Forum. Once we can figure out who everyone is, we'll let you know.

• Spike_Spiegel would like it known that he will be covering the Saga Forum. For those confused, this covers the original GI Joe mini-series, the Revenge of Cobra mini-series, the TV series and the movie -- but not the comics or the action figures. Thanks!

• Kimball_Kinnison was promoted to Chief Cattle Driver. Otherwise known as "Comms/PR Admin."

• Grilled-Sarlacc was made the new Head Admin. This also continues the Transformers (read: robot) theme of several weeks ago.

"You have no jurisdiction over me! Release me at once or taste my wrath!"
    "Be silet, or be silenced!"
    • PhilipWise finshed up the Q&A portion of the last few weeks. We may now all return to our regularly scheduled activities.

"The first one to call me bad luck gets a knuckle massage."
    • The Bigger Fish encountered the evil Norton Internet Security bug. I bring this up, if only to encourage firewall discussion in the MS Update thread. You all know who you are...

"Man said he has some errands to do. Go to the tailor, wallpaper his footlocker...weird stuff."
    • The Fan Fiction banner contest has closed! Congratulations go out to the winners... Before the Saga (obaona), The Saga (Melyanna), Beyond the Saga (Duskwings), Classic Stories (red_rose_knight), Writers? Resource (red_rose_knight)

"It's time you learned we're a team, Red Dog. We all go home or nobody goes home."
    • I made a transparent attempt to get Beth to stay by bringing up Admin-only icons. She's adamantly opposed to them, but my continued threatening to bring them up after she was gone went unheeded... :_|

"Want me to kiss it and make it better?"
    • Grilled-Sarlacc suggested a JC "Forum of the Month"-type feature. The current incarnation under discussion is a rotation, rather than any sort of "popularity" contest, in order to drive traffic to all sections of the site. We're not exactly decided on anything yet, so PM us if you have some ideas.

"If you ask me, some of them did not evolve."
    • Discussions are underway for some sort of Saint Patrick's Day theme. We considered dying Raven green, but that seems too easy somehow...

"Play it straight, or there's no doubt

2. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    Given that most of you (from your comments about the EU) wouldn't know a book if it bit you on the ass

I think it's the other way around, doll. :)

3. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    what about the decision to give out old usernames? any news on how you'll be giving them out and such?

4. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That was not talked about in the MS at all. Only in that one thread.

Oh and Dp, you're promotion thing is kinda outta line. KK and G-S are in a different category than Strilo. Shouldn't they be in the same general category? ;)

5. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    Oh, I just assumed that the decision to give out usernames of people that are still remembered would be discussed to some extent, rather than just randomly given out. Will the method for claiming new usernames be discussed in the MS and then given to us, or do we just start a new thread in Comms every time we find an old name we'd like a sock of?

... wow, I'm fitting into the bitter ex-mod role quite well :)

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The policy is (as it was stated in that thread) to contact an admin and it will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Kimball Kinnison

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh and Dp, you're promotion thing is kinda outta line. KK and G-S are in a different category than Strilo. Shouldn't they be in the same general category

Nope. strilo's duties are unchanged (heh, I said "duties"), whereas KK and G-S have new responsibilities. ;)

8. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

Not sure that talking about all the betrayal and resignations in such a "humourous" style is quite right.

"You've been fired! HAHA, let's laugh at the eighties references!"

UKS©

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not sure that talking about all the betrayal and resignations in such a "humourous" style is quite right.

//shrug

Since there were none of the resignations this week, this was sort of an attempt at "returning to normalcy."

Or at least as normal as we get around here.

10. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    I wish to apply for amphitheatre modship. I know the forum and user base well, and can drive discussions regarding all art forms. I have a standard "spare the rod, spoil the child" attitude.

11. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    [face_laugh] I like the song.

Thanks for the update. :)

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > PhilipWise finshed up the Q&A portion of the last few weeks. We may now all return to our regularly scheduled activities.

That's nice.

Are any of the answers going to be shared with the group of moderators who actually had issues with the situation to start with? You know, those who are no longer in their positions?

We were told that there was a window to return if we signed up, but to the best of my knowledge the majority of demoted mods were not given this extra information of Philip's which may well have been enough to ease some concerns and enable a number to return.

Still, I assume the time has passed by now. Pity.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Grilled-Sarlacc was made the new Head Admin. This also continues the Transformers (read: robot) theme of several weeks ago.

I fear with this promotion, G-S will be unable to maintain the high quality of his trademark humorous image postings.

14. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    fear with this promotion, G-S will be unable to maintain the high quality of his trademark humorous image posting

Oh yes, he'll be so much busier.
    *eyeroll*

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Are any of the answers going to be shared with the group of moderators who actually had issues with the situation to start with? You know, those who are no longer in their positions?

None of the answers were terribly much different than has come out in either the "Reinstate Sape" petition thread or the PhilipWise-started Comms thread.

There's really been no other new information. He just posted a message in the MS saying he wasn't going to be checking the thread any longer so the question/answer portion is over. :)

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Right-ho.

17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In the "Cobra-La" section we've got Golobulus (VoidDancer)

Could you explain why Void was included in this?

He was demoted due to not giving his information, and hasn't changed that position (to my knowledge). No other demoted or resigned moderator/RSA was included in the Update, so I'd just like some clarification.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    He just posted a message in the MS saying he wasn't going to be checking the thread any longer so the question/answer portion is over.

Ah. He checked the Comms thread but didn't post. So the actual question/answer portion was held in private without addressing anything in Comms. Super.

19. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Cheesiest/Worst. Update. Ever.

20. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Congrats to Tim on managership.

I hope that any old user names given out would be deleted in order for the seeker to reregister the name :)

So, did ANYTHING remotely informative come out of the CR/OFH/MS Philip Wise's Q and As? Just curious.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He was demoted due to not giving his information, and hasn't changed that position (to my knowledge). No other demoted or resigned moderator/RSA was included in the Update, so I'd just like some clarification.

He was back with colors last I checked. If that's an error, it was solely mine.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    As you can see, he's currently a VIP. Former RSAs can choose colors.

23. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry KW I'm sure the MS will take that weighty matter under consideration after having the petty trifles of the last few weeks so succinctly buried.

24. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Given that most of you (from your comments about the EU) wouldn't know a book if it bit you on the ass"

"I think it's the other way around, doll."

Reminds me of my favorite Star Trek line - "Hello, Worf. Eat any good books lately?" :D

25. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Ooh, they have the Internet on computers now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.