main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod Squad Update (Week of 3/3/04 -> 3/10/04)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I know YTAP did when he returned after a long absence, but he soon realized the new standards and changed back to not having a border.

Not quite. Since he left before there were any restrictions on VIP colours, he automatically started using his old mod colours out of nostalgia. One manager noticed this, reset his colours, and then explained the change in what colours were/weren't allowed for use. YTAP then just left his username at the default VIP style to which it had been reset to.

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Hey look, it's another Comms discussion with a Shakespearean title to it:

Much Ado About Nothing.

I don't give a rip who's username has what kind of border in what pretty shade of red or whatever.

3. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    for the record, it's been my understanding that as long as we use the default red, we can have it bold/plain/italics/underline/bordered/whatever. the main thing is that it's red, and doesn't have a background.

not that my understanding really means anything, but i figured i'd share anyways :)

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if we're playing semantics, why is Dagsy still using pink for his title?

5. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    because he slept with the guy who assigns titles, i think

actually, in that case, it's not his fault, it's the manager/admin's. he probably left it pink as a joke, and the fact that none of them have bothered to change it back is their problem, not his.

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Never even noticed until mentioned here.

7. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    And kinda irrelevant unless someone has truly nothing better to do than argue over such trival matters.

The Bigger Fish encountered the evil Norton Internet Security bug. I bring this up, if only to encourage firewall discussion in the MS Update thread. You all know who you are...

I had the same issue during my tenure, but found it relatively easy to simply flick off the firewall than flick it on again whenever I needed to send out a command using the mod tools. The chances of something slipping through in that short time I would suspect are on a level with being eaten by a shark whilst on land.

Unless Zerosleep knows some magical way around the issue, I don't see what else could of been done.

8. Qui-Gon Jim

Qui-Gon Jim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    Geez, guys. Let the bitter ex-mods decorate their red anyway they want. As long as they're gone we should be happy.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Refresher course: The reason the convention of having all ex-mod VIPs use red-on-transparent for their colors was established when we originally started giving VIP status to ex-mods was so users wouldn't be confused about who was a current mod and who was an ex-mod when they scanned the users online list.

Bottom line: It shouldn't matter if ex-mods want to give themselves a border, change their font weight, etc. as long as it's still clear when looking at their name that they're not current mods.

10. LumpyMaiden

Aug 30, 2001
    lub you too, jimmah

11. Qui-Gon Jim

Qui-Gon Jim Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 1999
    Beth is extremely smart for a lib.

12. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Let's try to keep this focused on the issues from the update, not socializing. This isn't the JCC.

Kimball Kinnison

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I would like to acknowledge my prescience, as VoidDancer is back full-time now. ;)

14. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "While I?m unavailable, G-S is handling most of the technical duties...."

OK, I just wanted to know that someone was covering the Tech Admin post while you were away.

"As long as they're gone we should be happy. "

As long as we've gone?
    At the very least we've been....unlike most. :D

15. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    Yes, yes, the idea behind the red-on-transparent color scheme was to differentiate ex-mods from current mods. It *was* stated (somewhere) that VIP's should stick solely to standard issue red, but it was never really enforced. It was more of an 'honor system' thing.

Some people felt they just had to differentiate themselves somehow, so they added a border, or an overline, or italicized themselves, or un-bolded (or bolded, whatever, I can't remember the default settings, as I've never touched them... I assume bold is the default since that's what I've got, and I haven't changed mine).

Since it's honestly hardly worth quabbling over a little border around one's name, I don't think anyone ever bothered 'correcting' anyone who 'violated' the 'standard' red.

But, I do remember that it was stated and written that VIPs should follow standard issue red, with no alterations. I know this because I remember, at first, trying to get people to follow the procedure. It was fine for a while, but, like I said, some people just couldn't do without a little difference, and the admins didn't feel like policing that policy, so it just sort of became 'ok' to do.

Either way, I don't think it's a big deal.

Vertical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.