main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update MOD Mod Squad Updates - 2014 End of the Year on Page 6

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Jan 15, 2014.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    After a brief deliberation, we've decided to introduce the MSUs back into the game. In this thread we are going to start posting periodic updates about Mod Squad activity.

We think they can be both a way to let you know what we are working on behind the screen, to get instant feedback on the issues at hand, and to add a heightened degree of MS transparency. We think there's been a serious communication issue between MS and the users, and that MSUs were a good moderation tool in the past, so we believe they can be that again. They might not be the solution to all of our issues, but they will help.

Several things are going to be different about MSUs:
    • MSUs are going to be monthly, as the current activity doesn't merit posting a weekly update. We are saving the possibility of making extraordinary updates if MS movement merits it.
    • MSUs are going to be limited to thus "Mod Squad Updates" thread to both encourage the continued discussion on issues and to avoid clogging the Communications forum.
    • MSUs won't be posted by a rotating cast of mods anymore. The admins are going take care of them. We think we can manage the monthly update pretty easily. They are not going to be the pretty HTML-full updates of the past, either: they are going to be full with info and debate points.
    The first regular MSU is going to happen on Feb 1st. We'll try to post an extraordinary update before the end of the week focusing on the most current issues, like the situation of the Senate.

Thank you for your patience.

2. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    we are a patient bunch aren't we? :p

you forgot the obligatory: "troublesome posters are being discussed, dealt with etc" :p

3. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I doubt that's going to feature in future MSUs unless it somehow affects the whole board, tradition be damned.

Rainbow Knight Star and harpua like this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is a good idea, but as I said in the Senate thread, take your time. There shouldn't be a rush.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Finally. :p While you're at it, could you at least acknowledge that the truncation issue occasionally without us having to prod you for updates? Even if you can't say anything, simple acknowledgement that the issue exists would be a huge plus, because more and more it seems like it's being ignored until somebody pushes hard enough to squeeze a few words out of an admin. And we shouldn't have to do that.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Sounds like the kind of thing that would feature in the MSU if there was any new information. I can say that you shouldn't expect anything soon, as the people involved with the databases are busy with personal issues that, obviously, take precedence.

Rainbow Knight Star and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    There doesn't have to be new information to mention it occasionally. All I'm asking for is for it to be voluntarily acknowledged on occasion. Even if six straight months pass without progress, you can briefly mention each month (or every other month) that "The truncation issue is still being worked on, but personal issues have taken precedence for now." Or something to that effect. That would be far better than the current level of MS's acknowledgement, where we get absolutely nothing unless we push to the point of practically squeezing words out of somebody.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Something like that would appear in the MSU, yes.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    What? No HTML? Tradition be damned?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    There should also be transparency as to Mod salaries, performance bonuses, share offers, health plans, fringe benefits and other incentives, so I expect to see some commentary around that too.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    During the time I was there, the independent board voted on those matters, Lost. You should be able to find the remuneration package in the ModSquad's annual report though.

EDIT: However, it only covers Admin and Manager salaries. Moderator-level and FanForce remuneration wasn't covered.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    My broccoli-themed update was so much better.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Thanks, Dave... MS and Comms are better with you involved.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    This wasn't only me. We are all hoping it works for the best.

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hey dave is this where you come for updates on the senate forum closing?

17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, but the week is still not over. May I suggest you check into the Thread for Users that Can't Read Good?

harpua and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    that thread has helped me a lot over the years. where's the thread where we can find out about the senate?

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    This thread, as outlined in the first post. May I suggest you check into the Thread for Users that Can't Read Good?

harpua and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    LINK.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ewwwww broccoli.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Having read it? incorrect.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Problem users were discussed, and it was concluded that they were silly."

This or an equally funny and accurate variation of it should be included in every update.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Circa the middle of the week just past.