Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz
, Jan 15, 2014.
You're just giving me more ideas Myke.
Mod Squad Update for the month of April 2014
- Grimby stepped down as Head Administrator, to be replaced by Ramza. The transfer of power is well under way. LAJ_FETT will remain as the Tech Admin and JoinTheSchwarz is staying as the sole Comms Admin. Grimby is not going away, as he's staying as a tech advisor, given that few people know as much about the board software and configuration as he does.
- MOC Yak Face became the new Classic Trilogy moderator.
- Bazinga'd was promoted to Manager.
- A Star Wars academic research project was authorized by the site owners. Threads to the purpose were posted to SWC, EUC, 7SA, 7NSA, and Saga.
- The Elastisearch plug-in crashed, as you probably noticed, causing searches to stop working for a couple of weeks. If you notice that some of your recent posts don't appear in the recent posts tab of your profile, that's the reason.
- The boards were painfully slow during the night of April 22nd. Even though we suspected the possibility of some kind of DDoS attack, the reason turned out to be more simple: we were front-paged on Reddit and the sudden influx of lurkers was too much for our poor forum.
- The E7 canon ruleset (Warning: link leads to spoilers forums) has been updated again, this time reflecting the official changes to the Expanded Universe.
- There was discussion about the "no soliciting" rule and our efficiency deleting spam threads and banning spamvertisers.
- Corellian_Outrider has started planning a reform of the Art forum. We'll have news on this subject as soon as the plans become more solid.
- There were no April Fools jokes. We are adults in here.
I was wondering what the whole trophy thing was, I got about 12 in the first go ... it's been a couple of eyears since I was here last you see.
They're like Xbox achievements or Playstation trophies, except for the boards. They give you points, and the number of points determines the little title beneath your username.
Mod Squad Update for the month of May 2014
- Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn became the new moderator of the Saga forum.
- Corellian_Outrider has been keeping us posted on the progress of the Art forum reforms.
- Two new trophies were added to the system: "Pop Star" for 50,000 likes and "Pop Sensation" for 100,000 likes.
- The administration team posted a guide to IP checking for the use of new moderators.
- In board outage news, last Saturday's was caused by an SQL crash. The boards have been running smoothly since then.
I am disappoint to see Modsquad did not discuss ways to get traffic to the site from Facebook.
We briefly contemplated claiming that we had cutting edge gifs, but concluded that nobody would buy it.
They should have been 'Pop Prince' & 'Pop God'.
I'll be a pop sensation by 2050.
We'll be waiting in line to give you your cookie.
Stay on target.
I just got my Y2k trophy. I shed tears, I'll admit.
It'll happen one day, sir.
I try to keep my likes-to-posts ratios close.
...not really, but it's funny when it works out that way.
Out of curiosity, do the admins know if there's any timetable on the board upgrade to XF 1.3?
I know you guys have a tentative timetable starting this month, but since it wasn't mentioned in the last MS update, I am interested in its progress. Lately, during the two recent board outages I involuntarily wondered whether it had anything to do with admins testing the new software, or whatever. No hurry, of course, but I do feel like it's about time for a change.
The two board outages were down to SQL problems - first time it crashed, second time it was throwing 'out of storage' errors. We're currently waiting Grimby's availability - he is involved with Denver Comic Con which takes place this coming weekend.
Mod Squad Update for the months of June and July 2014
- Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn was promoted to Manager.
- On the FanForce side, Corellian_Outrider became the new GSA, bringing the numer of FF administrators back to three.
- There's been some talk on what to do with the LFL forum, given that it's been mostly dead and the moderator position has been "vacant" for months without anyone noticing. Options given range from merely allow any existing film mod to mod it to folding it into Community under the "Amph" tag. We'd be interesting in hearing your opinions on this issue.
- There was discussion of whether to remove excessive personal info (address, phone #) from personal profiles. General opinion was it might be removed in the future, both to protect underaged posters and to stop possible spammers.
- The question "are Kickstarters and similar crowdfunding initiatives considered soliciting?" was posed. Agreement was that yes, they were considered so. Some exceptions could theoretically be made for charities but only after contacting the Administration beforehand.
- Although the default is still 30 minutes, edit times can once again be set by each forum's managers.
- The Administration has been working on updating all of the Rules threads and making sure they are up-to-date and accurate.
- There were several MySQL and Elastisearch issues and downtimes. All of them could thankfully be solved via the true and tried "turn it off and on again" method.
Would there be an option to fold LFL into Community using an LFL tag?
If not--we're looking at Indiana Jones, Red Tails, American Graffiti and Howard the Duck, right? And Indy gets the most discussion so make an Official Indiana Jones Film Discussion thread under the Amph tag, and then if anyone wants to discuss one of the other three films, make an Amph-tag thread for those?
It would probably use the existing Amph tag, yes.
I don't know... There could have been an uptick in Howard the Duck talk after the Guardians of the Galaxy movie.
Where else am I going to post my daily gushing about Willow Ufgood?
So there hasn't been an update in a while. Things have been slow. It looks like no one missed them, anyway!
We will be posting an end of the year update very soon.