Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz
, Jan 15, 2014.
Define "very soon".
I will be posting a definition very soon.
What happened to "very soon", and where is our end-of-the-year update?
We had a draft but it fell into the bee dimension, where all is bees and bees are all. Then the rains came and, well, you know how it is.
Yeah, totally forgot about it. I'll post it tomorrow.
Tomorrow never comes.
This update is turning into Half life 3 with just less hype.
Schwartz, did you put every clause of the update to a mandatory vote? "All mods in favor of beginning the first update with the word 'The', say 'Aye!'?"
JoinTheSchwarz, you have 24 hours to post the Mod Squad Update, or else I will hack into the admin controls and make Mod Squad visible for all to see!
OK, not really. But you're driving me crazy here. Please post it ASAP before I go totally bat**** insane.
You realize how much fun I'm having with this, right?
At our expense? Sure I do. That doesn't stop me from begging. I could always appeal to LAJ_FETT, or go over your head to Ramza.
You realize how much fun they are having with this, right?
Shall I start the recall petition?
Just kidding, but I mean, how hard is it to just post the damn thing?
I've been swamped with work these past days, both real life work that pays and Internet fake work. I was planning to post it this morning, as I happily have the day out, but then I saw your snarky posts and decided to be mean. Mod sass always has consequences. Let that be a lesson!
Fine. I'll shut up... for now.
MSU for the End of 2014
- The Hellhammer became the new moderator of the New Films forums.
- Miana Kenobi stepped down from her admin position.
- Havac stepped down as Lit moderator.
- TaradosGon was demoted due to inactivity.
- Spamming bots have been on the rise but thanks to the moderating team and the help of users willing to report them they have been kept under control, spamblasted and fed to the dianoga.
- A series of new trophies were added. We've received suggestions for several more but we're not exactly sure if we need to add anything else.
- Discussion on a sexism/hate speech policy is under way. A "hate speech" addition to the TOS has been drafted, and we're currently checking the wording before updating it.
- The Community mods have started a "State of Community" discussion, still ongoing, in an effort to improve their coordination.
- We are still working on the update of the Terms Of Service and the whole ruleset. The TOS itself is finished, and we are moving into the FAQ threads. We're not planning to update the whole thing until we are finished with it..
- We will be making a separate announcement about technical issues related to the move as soon as we manage to gather all of the necessary information and talk to all the involved parts. So don't hold your breath, but we are moving on it.
Moving slower than I thought it was even possible to move, but at least you're still moving. Better to take an ungodly amount of time to do it right than take what would seem to be a reasonable amount of time and irreversibly screw something up.
We are dealing with a combination of factors like corrupted data, locked databases, lost contacts, software updates... and the fact that we can only spend a few hours a month working on it, as our tech people are volunteers with real jobs AND having to maintain these forums. Your idea of "reasonable" might be slightly off.
Hence the six words before "reasonable" in my post. Obviously, what would seem to be a reasonable amount of time to the uninitiated actually isn't.
And that last post gives us far more information than had been previously posted before. Up until now, I thought it was just a matter of concocting a script to read the IGN database and write the information to the XenForo database. If corrupted data and locked databases are an issue, then obviously it is more complicated than any of us plebeians have thought. I don't know what kind of ad revenue this site makes or how much, if anything, is left over after paying hosting expenses and the like, but if enough money is there, it may be worth hiring a professional to at least try to fix the corruption and locks so that the volunteers can access the data.
Our annual budget is zero.
OK, then scratch that suggestion. Maybe ask for donations instead? I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm guessing that some of the fanfic and maybe RPF peeps might be willing to pony up a little here and there to get a professional on the case.
We'd consider all options, yes, but let us find out exactly how bad it is. Our plan is to list every single issue we have with the exported data and list 'em publically.
My understanding is that the costs of hiring a professional for this kind of work could very easily exceed what even our most generous contributions in such a donation drive would earn (Unless somebody has secretly been a millionaire all this time, in which case please PM me ).
I would not be surprised if there is one millionaire on this site.