MOD Mod Squad Updates - July 2014 on Page 5

Discussion in 'Communications' started by JoinTheSchwarz, Jan 15, 2014.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Mod Squad Update for the month of March 2014

- Bazinga'd joined the MS family as the new Star Wars Community moderator.
    - We recently started discussing how to implement a new "warning" system to make sure regular users automatically know when they have been modded. The system is still in its early stages, but any new information about it will be published here.
    - Discussion on a new definition of "official continuity" for the 7SA forums took place. The changes have already been reflected by the informational threads (warning: link takes you to the spoiler forums).
    - Two new trophies were added to the system. There's an ongoing discussion on what to do with the points and titles: leave them as they are, rehaul them, or just do away with them. We'd be interested in knowing your opinion on the issue.
    - We are still working on updating the boards software towards Xenforo 1.2. We haven't been able to do much work on it, as our tech people have been or reduced time, but it's still coming. This reduced time has also affected any work on the truncated posts issue; we have no advances to report on that front.
    - The boards suffered some downtime on March 1st and March 18th. Resetting the server fixed the issues.
    - Discussion on the possibility of doing an April's Fools joke took place. It was unanimously decided that it wasn't worth the effort and, honestly, most of the times they are insulting towards our userbase.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Mar 31, 2014
  2. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10

Although doing away with them would be nice (because what exactly do they add to the experience here?), a massive rehaul could work, as that discussion could make the trophies more interesting, worthwhile, etc.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    LAJ edit - fixed date in MS Update header and subsequent quote..
    JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  4. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    I rarely look at the trophy list, so I can't determine what two trophies these are. Which ones are they?

Points and titles: First preference is to overhaul them to make them more interesting and create more variety. Start by killing the ones for being around a certain number of years, because those will continue to be awarded even to people that have completely disappeared, thereby artificially inflating their point total and title years after they left (a person that joined in 1999, made five trollish posts, and left/was banned, would now have 375 points from tenure alone). Second preference, if an overhaul cannot be accomplished with sufficient variety, is to just do away with them and the trophies entirely.

Just as a note, don't forget the Tapatalk plugin while you're at it, as it being outdated is causing some push notifications to be delayed by hours or not come in at all. There's a thread here in Comms about that, but I'm too lazy to link to it at the moment because baseball. :p

Nice joke. You're obviously trying to trick us into thinking that there won't be one only to spring it on us tomorrow. I'M ON TO YOU!!! :p
    Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Who changed the Senate tag to "Blah blah who cares?"
  6. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    It was unanimously deemed redundant considering the recent reopening of the Senate Floor, so for now there's a placeholder name.
    Last edited by Ramza, Mar 31, 2014
    Ender Sai likes this.
  7. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    Plus: who cares?
    Last edited by JoinTheSchwarz, Mar 31, 2014
  8. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I don't know, but I love it, and think it should stay that way.
  9. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
  10. Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I figured that was the April Fool's joke. I liked it. :p
  11. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9

Yeah I wasn't 100% sure since it wasn't 1 April in the US at the time.
  12. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Poor kitty.
  13. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    My kitty would literally kill me if I tried anything like that. I almost lost an eye to her. I was smelling her tummy and held her up and said 'pee-yew...smells like corn'. The cat gasped and took a swipe at my eye, missing my retina by millimeters. Still luv er.

I have made more Senate Floor posts in one day than I have in the collective time I've been on these boards. Senate Focus group actually delivers!
    Last edited by Mr. K, Apr 1, 2014
  14. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
  15. Mr. K Moderator Emeritus

star 5
    I aim to please and am pleased to aim.
  16. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
  17. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
  18. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    I tend to like the titles and trophies, though

a) that time recently when about ten trophies at once hit a lot of people simultaneously, might have devalued them;

b) there's a recent new user who I feel has pressed 'like' for every single drokking thing I post over the last few weeks, so when I got my most recent trophy, for 250 (or whatever) 'likes', I did feel that this person had devalued the significance of the event. Like someone spamming Amazon to increase feedback scores or and auction to increase the sale price.
  19. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I have amassed over 15,000 'likes' as a moderator. I am clearly not hostile enough with our user base.
  20. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    15,410, sir ;)
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    And I just gave you another one. Nyah.
    jcgoble3 and Pensivia like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  23. Pensivia Force Ghost

star 4
    As did I...now I think I should log on with each of my socks and do the same[face_mischief]:p
    Rainbow Knight Star and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. Rainbow Knight Star Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I really like the likes and trophies, as well as the titles and points. Hopefully the JCF staff can just rework the titles and points, rather than doing away with them.
    Circular Logic likes this.
  25. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    What is it specifically about the titles & trophies that you like?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza