main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Modded Revell Millenium Falcon shot with Motion Control camera

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Robino Jones, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Robino Jones

Robino Jones Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2016
    I thought the community might find this video interesting. Shot this using a $20 Revell SnapTite Millenium Falcon 1980s ILM style :)

The toy is 8.25 inches in length. Everything 100% real - No CGI!

Did a weathering paint job and some modifications such as LED lighting and 3 mounting points on the Revell Falcon. Pretty amazing to be able to pull off one man crew shots like this in an afternoon when it would take days and dozen of people in the early 1980s.

** I suggest you click the VIMEO icon in the video player so you can watch in full-screen.

2. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Moving to fanfilms

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Looks like you had fun with that. If you're taking requests, I'd love to see what you can do with an A-wing.

4. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Looks nice. Great to see folks taking on old-school approaches.

Though, to be fair ... if you're claiming no computer graphics, then I'd be asking what filmstock you used, and where you got access to an optical printer. Looks like you enhanced your engine light passes by masking off the through-plastic glow and included some color grading and glow that is pretty routine these days, but involved a good bit of effort on '80s film.

Does the one afternoon time frame include planning, painting, programming, photographing, import, post & render? That really is impressive.

Back in the '80s, you'd have to wait at least an afternoon (if not overnight) just to get the film developed ... and that's for each stage... negative, print, high-contrast matte ... per element, not including rotoscope masking work ... and that's before you can shoot the optical print composite. I'm thankful for every time I can just call up a Roto node in Nuke.

BTW: Great documentary look into the production of the climactic space shots from ROTJ here:

Have fun.

5. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    Did you use the Rhino Motion module on a 2-4 foot slider?

EDIT: Just saw the answers on the Vimeo page.