Modeling Question (studio max)

Discussion in 'Scifi 3D Forum' started by QbnJedi, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QbnJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey people. I dont really usually visit this section, I usually visit the FanFilms section. My question is for anyone with a fair amount of experience in Studio max. My question is this, is there anyway to make a minature of a set then take pictures of it and scan it into my comp and somehow open it in studio max and it will create a rough model of it? Thanks in advance.
  2. The-Matt-Man Jedi Master

star 4
    Using 3D scanners, maybe. Like fast-scan. or taking multiple ref-shots and building your model from the shots. I'm unsire of exactly what you mean.

-Matt
  3. J-O-K-E-R Jedi Padawan

To my knowledge, No.
    It would be much easier to build the model from scratch, in max
  4. InvidShocktrooper Jedi Knight

star 1
    Something like this may be what you're aiming for. There are several packages that do the same thing.

http://www.realviz.com/products/im/index.php
  5. diabloblanco17 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes, but stuff like that isn't available to the average guy who tinkers around with 3d software just for the fun of it. The only place I know of that has one (although, of course, I'm sure lots of other establishments have them) is a department of Lehigh University. And the process, at least from what the interviewer told me, is quite complicated. So you're going to have to model it yourself. But consider yourself lucky; you've got a fully 3d reference image to use.

EDIT: Wow, there is actually stuff that does this kind of thing other than a 3d scanner. Interesting.
  6. QbnJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    InvidShocktrooper, That is something that I had in mind. Thanks, I will be looking into this program.
  7. Darksteps Jedi Knight

star 3
    actually, there is a way to do it, tho not from pictures, but from blueprints... can't remember the exact technique, but I'm sure I can find it in the help or tuts that came with MAX...

but if you have 3 different views it can create a "rough" version which you can tweak out... I'll see if I can find the technique today...

Darksteps...
  8. J-O-K-E-R Jedi Padawan

actually, there is a way to do it, tho not from pictures, but from blueprints... can't remember the exact technique, but I'm sure I can find it in the help or tuts that came with MAX...

but if you have 3 different views it can create a "rough" version which you can tweak out... I'll see if I can find the technique today...

Darksteps...

This is true, You have to import at least 3 images as backgrounds , 1 to each veiwport, top, front, &left or right. Then you can use these images to create your model. Kinda like tracing.

this works great if your making a head , body, or ship.
    I would think it would be easier to make a city from scratch.

MARS STATION

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.