main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Modern RPG

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Talon_Wolfe, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Wex: "No problem, see you there."

You go to that Starbucks. You haven't been there recently, and notice that the area is looking more rundown than you remember.

Do you go in? Order? Sit in your Car? Wait outside?

2. LADY_OBI-WAN

LADY_OBI-WAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    The words float up to Keela as she stands and considers this question for a moment. She takes in a deep breath and says "Well...First of all, for those here who don't know the story, Finn MacCool, or Fionn mac Cumhail, is steeped in Irish legend the same as the Arthur legends of England. There is much speculation about his life. He has been sung about, poems have been composed, etc. and a legend is born.

The story goes that the salmon had eaten the nuts from a Hazel tree that fell into the river. According to ancient legend, the nut of the Hazel tree, or Coll, contained concentrated wisdom. The salmon that ate of these nuts when they fell into the water would then also possess the knowledge of the Hazel, which was the knowledge of the world.

It was said that whoever would catch the salmon and eat its flesh would also possess the knowledge of the world. As Fionn sat tending the sizzling fish, his thumb was burned, and he reflexively put his thumb into his mouth to sooth the pain. On doing this, he immediately knew he had acquired a precious gift - the ability to see the future.

Because of this ability, Finn went on to defeat his enemies, bring relative peace to his homeland, and inspire the Fianna, his people, to extraordinary levels of greatness."

Keela looks down at the man and smiles.

"Now your questions were: 'Would his life have been the same had he not partaken of the Salmon of Knowledge? Was his tasting the flesh of the magic salmon an accident, or a fulfillment of prophecy?'

I think it is safe to say we all make choices in life. And each of those choices takes us down a path. Would my life be the same if I hadn't decided to have coffee this morning instead of tea?"

The students give her a polite laugh. She smiles and continues...

"Cheers for the appreciation, but honestly, even the smallest of choices can lead us in directions we cannot foresee. Did Finn know the fish had eaten the nuts? And if he did, did he believe he was destined to fulfill a prophetic future? There is no way to know. Granted, his visions allowed him the luxury of knowing where to be and what to do, but who is to say that he wouldn't still have done any of these great deeds had he not eaten the salmon and burned his finger. Legends are born of people telling great tales over a nice pint down the pub. Even today you can hear lads telling great tales of heroic deeds done during football games..."

Keela pauses for a moment and coughs a bit, "Sorry you Americans call it soccer."

She smiles and begins to pace slowly back and forth in the front of the lecture hall. She goes into a type of trance. As if she has forgotten the class is there and she is thinking out loud.

"My favorite player did this and then he did that. And the stories become legend, a bit of drama thrown in with each re-telling. These ancient legends, be it Irish, English, Roman, what have you, were passed down from father to son for years before they were written down."

Keela then stops pacing and readdresses the class as if she's just remembered where she is.

"Do I believe that this story was the fulfillment of a prophesy? Free will and predestined fate are ideas perceived good or evil and that without going beyond the limits of society, up or down, black or white, it is possible to journey into a less constrictive mindset maybe we would find a third idea. Possibly this could mean that both free will and predestined fates are linked, in that we are all a part of the very gods themselves. That we are carrying out their will and because of their immense power and presence, magical events like the eating of the salmon or even the most minor thing, such as catching that coffee jar that almost fell on the floor or missing the bus only to end up sharing a taxi with your future life partner, are a part of the gods/goddess' playground of 'normality' and that these events have a link to both predestined fate and that part within us that is directly linked to the free will of the gods. If you believe in predestination, the idea that t

3. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    I'll go in, order a latte, and sit down at a table in the corner.

4. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Keela: The man looks pleased. "Yes, you did. Thank you."

He says no more, and your lecture time ends. People clap, the MC comes and officially thanks you on behalf of the college for coming, and reminds everyone that you will be visiting faculty for a while. There is more clapping, and then almost everyone leaves, but you are ushered to an adjacent room where there is a reception set up for you and the VIP's. People come and make small talk, complimenting you, so on and so forth. As you look around the room, you see the man in the suit standing near a wall, staring at some of the art they brought in for the event. It is a framed, poster size reproduction of a page from the Book of Kells, and as he stands there looking at it, he sips his punch.

What do you do?

5. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Wex: A dark sedan, looks like a Mercury, pulls up. It has tinted windows. A man in a suit gets out (looks kinda like Jon Favreau). He is holding a file folder. He enters, sees you and immediately walks over.

"Abraham Wexler? I am Special Agent Veitch." He sits down and discreetly flashes his FBI credentials at you. "A pleasure to meet you."

"So tell me, you are interested in working with me, but what do you know about what the job will entail?"

6. LADY_OBI-WAN

Mar 20, 2002
    At the appropriately polite time, I'll approach him.

"Excuse me, but you seem familiar to me. Have we met?"

7. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    I'll clear my throat to get their attention, "Can I help you out with something?" Rolling charisma, to sound like the nicest/polite/unhostile/unperturbed for some stranger sittin at my desk voice. and Nat 20.

8. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    "I don't have any idea. Just that the FBI is looking for a SWAT guy, and I'm him. So why don't you tell me what you need me to do?"

9. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Wex: Veitch breaks into an easy grin, leans back and says, "You're him, huh? Well let me set you straight on a couple of things. The FBI is looking for a SWAT guy? No. I am looking for a SWAT guy. Whether or not you are him remains for me to decide. C'mon, lets take a drive."

He gets up, and leads you to his car. Roll Spot.

OOG: Would your character have knowledge about cars and what not? I know you drive a nice one, but that was a gift. Is your character into cars, either modern or vintage?

You get in the passenger seat. The inside is black leather, and does not look like a normal unmarked government vehicle.

He pulls out, and begins driving around town. The engine has a low growl to it.

"So, tell me, do you go by Abraham?"

10. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    17 on spot. Wex is the kind of guy that would flip through a car magazine to look at the pictures, but he's not really into cars.

"I go by Wex. So what does it mean that you're looking for a SWAT guy?"

11. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Spencer: It's Veitch at your chair, you realize as he rotates to face you. "Hi there, Spencer, I hope you don't mind, I was just using your computer while I waited for you. Let's go get a cup of coffee, shall we? There are things we need to talk about."

He is once again wearing a dark suit with a dark tie. (OOG: He looks like a young Jon Favreau).

He stands up, and motions for you to follow him as he goes to the break room.

Roll spot.

12. Jankarakk

Aug 27, 2003
    "Uh...alright.." 14 on spot.

13. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Spencer: You follow him to the break room. You notice your boss in his office looking at you, but you can't read the look on his face. There is one person in there, and Veitch says, "I need this room for a while."

The person he says it to looks like they are about to complain, but then they simply get up and leave with their coffee. Once they leave, he locks the door, and closes the blinds.

"Sit down, Spencer. How do yo like your coffee?" He fills a cup.

14. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Wex: "The FBI has give me a certain amount of... 'leeway' for me to do my job. So if I need to recruit from other agencies for whatever reason, I can do that. I wanted a good SWAT guy, so let me ask you some questions, and then I will tell you if you're the man for the job.

How good are you at thinking on your feet? Or, are you a 'follow orders' kind of guy?"

15. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Keela: "No, I don't believe we have, Miss Jones. The name is Veitch, pleased to meet you." He extends his hand. "Quite a reproduction, don't you think?"

Roll d20

16. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    What was spot for?

"I would much rather come up with my own plan than follow orders, but I can follow well when the situation demands it."

17. Jankarakk

Aug 27, 2003
    "Little half & half and some Equal. Please."

18. LADY_OBI-WAN

Mar 20, 2002
    OOG: Rolled 17

"Yes, the Book of Kells has always been a favorite of mine. The artwork is exquisite, and has inspired many Celtic artists over the years, including one of my favorites, Cari Buziak."

She says all this while admiring the poster, but then turns to him and says, "So what brings you to my lecture Mr. Veitch?"

19. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Wex: "So, are you a team player?"

OOG: That Spot? Oh... nothing... ;)

20. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Keela:

You notice on the print of this particular page, there is an image of (none other than) the Salmon of Knowledge.

"I came here to hear what you have to say. I also wanted to ask you a couple of questions. The first one had to do with our little fish up there, and you answered that one just fine."

21. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Spencer: He makes you your coffee, and then sits down across from the table from you. This vaguely reminds you of an interrogation.

"So, Spencer. You ever fire that gun of yours? At a live person?"

22. GersonSith

Apr 30, 2002
    "I like to be the team leader, but I do play well with others if that's what you mean."

23. Jankarakk

Aug 27, 2003
    "I've fired it only in practice, and in the training camp at Quantico. And being just an IT guy and not a field angent, haven't had the chance to fire at a live person. But I'm sure if it was a matter of if I don't shoot him he'll shoot me.....I'd have no problem shooting him....Cause I don't want to get shot...that'll hurt."

24. LADY_OBI-WAN

Mar 20, 2002
    "And the other questions?"

25. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Wex: "Hmm... so how do you feel about undercover operations, deep cover operations, black ops, stuff off of the record? Are you one of those guys that needs the credit for deeds done, or are you okay with being in the shadows, being behind the curtain?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.