main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Modern youth are from the dark side

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kai_Halicon, Oct 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Don't forget the excellent parenting lessons you can learn from the Star Wars movies ...
    • When your son is throwing a temper trantrum, cut his hand off with your lightsabre and then make him jump down a long rubbish chute.
      Vader in ESB.

• When some strange person comes along and offers to take your son away for the rest of his life, just smile and agree happily, after all he did SAY he was someone important.
      Shmi in TPM.

:p

2. c9902253

c9902253 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2002
    Hi guys, thought i'd add my ten cents worth on the whole "discipline" thing.
    I took a paper on Violence in Society at Uni and part of that was about Smacking kids.
    In sweden smacking is illegal and in the last 20 years only 4 kids have been seriously injured byway of "discipline" whereas here in Aotearoa 250 kids have been seriously hurt in that same time.
    To me thats pretty bad, but considering that parents are able to use 'reasonable force' to discipline kids it's really no surprise.
    Okay...with that over - I think kids are as bad as the used to be, although the recent youth killers are really worrying.

3. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Three more Star Wars Parenting Skills tips ..
    • If you don't like you daughters new boyfried, simply freeze him in carbonite and send him as a present to the local crime boss.
      Vader in ESB

• If you don't like you son's new tutor, then chop him down a peg or two with you lightsaber, but you have to be quick, these old tutors are slippery and tend to disappear at a moments notice.
      Vader in ANH

• If you don't like the way your boss is punishing your son, then throw you boss down the reactor shaft of you office.
      Vader in RotJ

:D

4. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    UPDATE
    Well, I got a call from the Takapuna Police yesterday afternoon in regards to my young thief. They had agreat deal of trouble locating the juvenile's parents and they apparently took nearly three hours to come and collect him from the station.

He's been charged with illegal trespass and theft and I thought he'd get a few hours of community service or something like that but it turns out he's got a substantial record and the cops said that a a youth detention facility might not be out of the question. If he'd just shoplifted it wouldn't be so bad, but because he's actually gone out the back of building to where all the offices are it makes the situation worse - they were going to try and do him for breaking and entering but there was no force entry noticeable.

Apparently his parents were really mad when they showed up and they manhandled the kid a bit. I kinda feel a bit sorry for him now, but I have to go to court now in a couple of weeks to find out what's going to happen to him. The police said it's because his parent's don't really seem to give a damn about him is why he acts up. I can only conclude it's attention-seeking behaviour (first-year psyche papers spring to mind) and the kid has a bad home life.

I used to see this all the time when i worked for the DOSW (Dept. of Social Welfare), but it kinda hits home more when you're personally involved.

5. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Speaking of parents not giving a **** ...

I visited my folks last night. The place across the ROW from them is a rental property, and they're good friends of the people who live next door to said property. There had been this young woman (23 I think) and her baby daughter renting the place. She absconded the other day, owing a few months rent which she said she'd pay. When the property owner came to check the place out, he had to remove 42 rubbish sacks worth of rubbish from the flat. There were rats in the house, the kid baby had just defecated on the floor and the mother hadn't bothered to clean it up. There were used nappies just shoved in draws and cupboards. The baby had ripped strips of wallpaper off the wall, there were dozens of half-drunken cups of coffee just sitting around, some knocked over all over the carpet. The owner rang some commercial cleaners, who quoted a minimum of $800 just to clean the carpet. This woman has caused thousands of dollars worthof damage, plus all the money she owes in rent, and the owner of the house can barely keep up the mortage payments as it is, without having to deal with all of this ...

You've got to ask what kid of a life this woman's kid is likely to grow up having, moving from rat infested flat to rat infested flat, her mother seemingly oblivious to things as basic as hygene. (Oh, and there are no "cultural reasons" to be taken into consideration ... this is a girl from a white middle class family.)

(sigh ....)

Lawrence

6. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    The particular department I work for in telecom deals with a lot of similar cases we get calls from landlords who have very bad things happen, I spoke to one the other day where the house would basically have to be pulled down due to the damage inflicted by tenants.
    A lot of people out there don't give a damn about property or debts they incurr its not surprising that levels of debt and poverty are on the increase in certain areas.
    people can also be very very sneaky when applying for credit using various variation on the spelling of their name etc to gain credit when they know they have debts outstanding at collection agencies, and can get very very hostile when they are declined service due to a bad debt history.
    You have to feel sorry for kids who come from these families as perhaps they aren't taught the difference between right and wrong, after all their parents aren't the best role models.

7. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Lawrence, Graal - can't agree more.

I've a bit of a drama in the past with a flatmate who was barely removed from being an excretion-burrowing cockroach.

I had a flat in Glenfield about three years ago when I was still studying and as the person with my name on the lease along with one of the other flatmates (there were five of us living there), I found myself as being kind of the 'senior' around the place.

Anyway, the couple that lived with us moved out and we had a reasonably quiet guy in his mid-twenties move in. He was very withdrawn and would only eat in his room by himself. Because he paid all his bills on time and worked at the movies, giving us many discounts, we never had a problem.

However, things took a turn for the worse when the other flatmate named on the lease, Jae (known as Mephet_Ran on the boards) started noticing odours from our flamate Don's room. We asked him to do something about it and he assured us it was just some clothes he'd been wearing whilst at they gym and that he'd sort it.

Three days went by and the smell remained. Don stopped coming home for a couple of days and because we all had locks with individual keys on our doors (and had stupidly lost the set of spares), nothing could be done.

After a week of this and Don seemingly coming home only when he felt the need, generally during hours when we were at work or uni, Jae and I decided to take the door of it's hinges. We rung Don on his mobile to inform him and got an answerphone so we left a message and went ahead with the plan.

The minute the door came off, Jae threw up and I nearly passed out.

The entire room resembled a bomb site. The bed was unmade and the sheets were stained with what looked like fluids I don't care to describe. Mould was grown in all the corners of the room and there were literally dozens of plates of half-eaten food and drink, rife with ants and the most disgusting of all, maggots in what looked like an old burger. Clothes reeking of sweat were everywhere and our other flatmate swore she could smell urine in their.

Quite simply, it was the most vile exhibition of human filth i'd ever seen.

When Don finally came home, we'd had to call indutrial cleaners to come and fumigate, shampoo and sterilise the room, at the fantastic cost of nearly $600 to myself and my two other flatties. All of Don's stuff had been unceremoniously dumped on the front lawn and he offered us no explanation or money for the heinous mess. He didn't think he'd done anything wrong, as it was 'his room' and tried to attack me when I told him to get his gear and leave and that we'd be retaining his bond, which was nowhere enough to pay the cleaning bill.

Don had left his car in the driveway for about two weeks as it had a broken radiator and he told us that he had no intention of removing the vehicle as it was worth nothing and too expensive to fix (1977 Ford Cortina) so we were also left with that when he left, about a minute after my flatmate Jae socked him into the next millenuim.

We ended up selling Don's car for parts and getting almost enough to cover the cleaning. Our landlord never questioned us when we told him that Don had left and wasn't getting his bond back as he'd broken the automatic garage door and we'd used the bond money to repair it. In the end, we came out clean as far as cash went (no pun intended) and the landlord never knew. We all moved out about six months later.

Jae saw Don about a year ago, holding a baby with some vacant-looking girl he assumed to be the mother. I can only pray that Don has literally cleaned up his act if he's raising kid's now.

I've had a bunch of really crappy flatmates in the four years I've been in and out of home but none of them were as repellent as him. Like Lawrence said in his earlier post, you've got to wonder what sort of life these people's offspring will have.

8. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    wow, thats a shocker of a flatmate story, i've been pretty lucky so far, only flatted with good people, so i am guessing i am due for some horrible flatmates.........a friend of mine had this one guy, who seemed alright, then skipped out on a huge phonebill, so my friend went to CAb to see what he could do about it, and by chance mentioned the guy's name, and the staff at the CAB started laughing, apparently my friend had somehow managed to find the worst serial dodgy flatmate in Lower Hutt.....

9. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Ewwwwww! [face_plain]

I hope I won't have to flat with anyone in the near future. [face_plain] Where I live now is close enough to university, that's three more years... what happens then, I don't wanna think about it. :) Not yet anyway.

10. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    word of advice for anyone going flatting, beware of tolls on phone accts, I see cases every day where the poor tusting person who gets the phone on gets landed with toll bills for their dodgy flatmates and in some cases has a negative impact on their credit rating. two words, TOLL BAR!! free service from telecom and if flatties wanna make toll calls theres a whole raft of pre pay calling cards out there so flatties can pay as they go.

11. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    so how is the new place, Graal?

aparrently our place used to be a mess (incomparable with Kai's story of course)
    hard to believe but there were holes in the walls because the previous tenants played rugby and cricket in the living room.

12. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    moving starts on monday, pick up the keys to the new place, moving after work hoping to be all moved by wednesday. shells has packed almost evrything, has even packed all my star wars stuff (with lots of jokes about dropping them off at the swap meet!)

13. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Sorry for using the inaproprate insult damm backwards southern ways of mine but any one who steals should get minimum 10 years its the second most worst crime of all in my books

bad tenants

my dads shop has a upstares on it and these sit students where using it as a recording studio then one of them moved up there and about 3 months ago dad got the lease for upstaires well the dude had not come to get his stuff out for 2 months

after that dad got a bit angry and went upstares to start putting the dudes stuff in one end so he could use the rest for storage well wat a mess it was broken floor boards everywhere due to the dude skating everywher about 100 old alcholo bottles evrywhere old food packets some with food in them going off and other things i cxant rember after going up there.

nothing compared to those other storys but still yuckky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.