main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod's from other time zones in busy forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Sebulba_Sloan, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebulba_Sloan

Sebulba_Sloan RSA Alumni star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 2002
    I have noticed that on some of the busier forum, such as the 3SA boards, there are only Americna Mods. The result of this is that there is no-one to frequently look over the boards when posters from other time zones are active.

Would it not be possible to select someone from another time zone who frequently posts in these busier threads to moderate when the other can't?

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    I have noticed this as well. We need more "alternative timezone" mods, even if they are freebooters who cover all forums rather then one specific one.

//waves UKS for EU Mod flag

UKS

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The administration often does try to get mods from other timezones...its why there are a number of Aussie mods.

It just seems that some specific forums dont have that sort of coverage. Unfortunately, high profile forums like 3SA and the JCC are two of these.

In saying that, for emergency modding, you can go to any online mod...and there is usually someone on at any given time.

For low grade stuff, just PM the normal forum mods, and they'll get to it as soon as they log on...not everything needs to be dealt with asap.

4. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    3SA forum? :confused: I've heard of the forum, but where is it? [face_blush]

5. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
  6. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    3SA forum

Just be warned, its spoilers for Ep3...not that there is much out right now...but still, it'll start coming out soon.

EDIT: Dammit, UKS. You post before me just one more time, and I'll, I'll shake my fist so hard, you wont know what to do. Grrr.

7. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I agree with Sebulba_Sloan. Not that the mods don't do a great job, on the contrary, but they are mostly active at the same time. IMO, then it is really useless to have 4 mods.

So I suggest that there should come an European or Aussie mod. in that forum.

8. JADES_FIRE

JADES_FIRE Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Thanks guys :D

I didn't realize 3SA stood for Episode 3 Spoilers Allowed. [face_blush]

I'm going to hide in the corner for awhile. :p

9. Sebulba_Sloan

Oct 24, 2002
    I'm glad I'm not alone on this issue UKS and DC :)

DD, I take your point, but with the recent boom in Feb and Mar 03 memebers (possibly due to the Clone Wars cartoon?), forums like the 3SA board are clogged with spam and other new posters who flame others. It's not a nice environment to post in.

I would definately support more European mods considering the number of European posters on this board.

10. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    like the 3SA board are clogged with spam and other new posters who flame others. It's not a nice environment to post in.

Sure, if the boards are clogged with spam and flaming, it definitely isnt a good environment for movie discussion.

But would bringing in mods from different timezones change that? If the forums are that full of problems, then it sounds like a general moderation issue, rather than a timezone issue?

Not to say that better distribution of timezones isnt a desireable thing, and wouldnt help to deal with some of these things sooner, but that wont fix the problems you just mentioned.

11. Sebulba_Sloan

Oct 24, 2002
    The presence of a mod is usually enough to police the forums successfully. It makes sense to have someone online exclusively to a forum when the other mods aren't to regulate spam. Prevention is better than cure :)

12. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998

It's a difficult balance I know, but it does seem to me that during the times I am on in work, that some forums lack a "hand at the tiller". It's not as if they are running rampant with swearing and flaming, (these can be picked up by outside mods "firefighting"), but more a lack of "leadership", (for wont of a better term), that is more noticable when compared to the forums during US e-Hours.

I think the problem identifying this, is that it is very subjective. You can tell that something is "off" but not neccessarily what it is! This is no attack on the mods themsleves, as most of them do good jobs.

Whilst it may not be a prime concern, it is something for everyone to keep in mind, methinks.

UKS

13. Sebulba_Sloan

Oct 24, 2002
    Yes, I'd like to point out that the current Mods do an excellent job of monitoring their forums. Unfortunately, they can't do this when they are asleep.

14. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I bet no Mods have posted in this thread because they are all in different timezones.

Hehehehe.

15. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I'm here. I care. :)

Literature has Kadue, UKS. Sorry. :D

16. Darth Dane

Darth Dane Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2000

I can Mod, I am from europe....oh were you asking for new mods? :p

I can't mod 3sa though.... I am both spoiler and trailer free...join teh club follow the link in my sig :p

DD - Mod Spliff

17. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Fanfic is pretty well covered.

JG is on when Ami and I are sleeping and vice versa. I'm usually on when Ami is at school. Ami is usually on when I'm at work on weekends and usually all three of us are on sometime during the night.

Almost perfect :)

Kithera

18. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    On the other hand, I really am perfect. It's the cross I bear.

19. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    Gandolf, if you really were, you'd hardly call it a cross. :p

20. UK Sullustian

Nov 18, 1998
    Does this mean my "IG-88=Death Star Brain > Emperor=Clone" thread will have to wait?

Damn.

UKS

21. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Nah. Post it in 3SA. :)

22. JediJeffro

JediJeffro Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 23, 2001
    "On the other hand, I really am perfect. It's the cross I bear."

Except that you can't spell.

Really, Gandy. Can't you at least TRY to make it more difficult?

[face_mischief]

23. Gandalf the Grey

May 14, 2000
    Actually, the name that Tolkien used, ?Gandalf? comes from a version of the so called ?Catalogue of Dwarves,? the Dvergatal of Norse mythology that was shown to be slightly off by midway through the century. The name is actually best translated ?Gandolfur,? or ?Gandolf? for short. Tolkien is the one who got it wrong. :)

24. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    All times I will be referring to are board time.

In regards to the 3SA, I'll try to speak to the issue of coverage. I live in Maryland in the U.S. I'm on every day from 4 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. During that range, darth-sinister and RolandofGilead log on. When I log off at 2:30pm, they stay on a few hours beyond that. When they're getting ready to log off, dehrian logs on. He's on the west coast of the U.S. He typically remains online until 1-2 a.m. So worst-case scenario we're talking 2 hours of coverage not accounted for.

Also, I have a list of moderators that are spoiled for Episode 3 and will gladly moderate in the 3SA when there are problems. All they need is a PM to alert them. I'll need to make that list of moderators available as a thread in the 3SA. Thanks for reminding me. :)

25. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    If you ask me...the YJCC suffers from this as well...

I have trouble finding the mods in the mornings...or for that matter during the 10 hours a day that I am on....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.