main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update ModSquad Update for February 10th, 2003

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Dark_Lord_Erik, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    ModSquad Update For the Period of February 3rd thru February 10th

[color=blue][b]Comings and Goings[/color][/b]
    [blockquote]

[li][color=red][hl=black][b] Dark Lady Mara[/b][/color][/hl] has returned to helm the [b]Classic Trilogy Forum[/b].[/li]

[li][b][color=lightgreen][hl=black]stinrab[/b][/color][/hl] went fishing, but now he's back. He says that he caught a fish "this big". [/li]

[li][hl=yellow][b]DarthSapient[/b][/hl] was sick, but is now feeling better.[/li]
    [/blockquote]
    [hr]

[color=blue][b]New Topics Under Discussion[/b][/color]

[b][i]Moderator IM List[/b][/i]
    [blockquote]
    [li][hl=Purple][color=White][b]dp4m[/b][/color][/hl] brought up the idea of a moderator IM list. Then everyone debated the pros and cons of IM services. Mods have been giving their screennames, so that other mods can contact them.[/li][/blockquote]

[b][i]Game VIPship For Recently Banned Users[/i][/b][blockquote]

[li][hl=lightsteelblue][color=midnightblue][b]Bacabachaui[/b][/color][/hl] brought up a question about VIPship for games. He wanted to know if someone who was recently banned should be given colors for winning a game.[/li]

[li]The consensus was that colors for games usually don?t last that long, and since it was for the winning of a game, not for the member?s actions on the boards, they should get the colors.[/li][/blockquote]

[b][i]Manually Deleting Of Threads[/b][/i]
    [blockquote]
    [li][color=steelblue][hl=silver][b]Kadue[/color][/hl][/b] has asked if mods in forums where pruning is turned off, would go through their forum and manually delete threads that have no purpose to keep around.[/li]
    [/blockquote]

[b][i]Indy 4 Section of TheForce.net[/b][/i]
    [blockquote]
    [li][hl=darkslateblue][color=linen]Joshua Griffin[/color][/hl] brought to the ModSquad his idea for an Indy 4 section for TheForce.net. It looks like it may tie into the Lucas Films Projects Forum, which has brought a little excitement to [hl=indigo][color=white][b]jp-30[/b][/color][/hl].[/li]
    [/blockquote]

[b][i]Who Should Handle What?[/b][/i]
    [blockquote]
    [li][hl=darkgreen][color=lightgreen][b]JediGaladriel[/b][/color][/hl] brought up discussion on users contacting mods from other forums to handle situations on forums they aren?t the mod for.[/li]

[li][i][b][color=white][hl=red]Vertical[/b][/i][/color][/hl] answered with:

[i]?I try to look at the situation, and if I feel comfortable enough with it, and I agree with the complaint, I'll act.

If it's a case of a 'global' rule (flaming, spamming, trolling), no mod should hesitate. If it's something forum specific (redundant, wrong forum, etc), you should refer the issue to the appropriate forum mods.

Although we all mostly have 'our own' forums, let's not forget that we can and should moderate anywhere that it's necessary. Don't second-guess yourself when it comes to flaming or trolling or antagonism. If you're really if-y on something, just issue a warning via PM, then notify the forum mod.

Another thing, however - just because someone comes to you with a complaint does not mean they're automatically right and you have to act on it. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten PM's of the "This user is being antagonistic" nature, only to visit a thread where the person who PM'ed me is just ... well, losing an argument, and can't really 'handle' that. It's important to look at each situation without the bias of what the person who PM'ed you has said.?[/i][/li]
    [/blockquote]

[b][i]Recent Technical Problems[/b][/i]
    [blockquote]
    [li][hl=darkblue][color=white]KnightWriter[/color][/hl] brought up the recent technical problems that have been annoying everyone. The problem has been addressed, but we don't have the means to personally fix the problem.[/li]
    [/blockquote]

[b][i]Discussion of The Need of a New JCC Mod[/b][/i]
    [blockquote]
    [li]Discussion has taken place about bringing on another JCC mod. At this time, it looks like it won't be happening. But this could change at any time.[/li]

[/blockqu

2. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I look forward to the Valentine's Day scheme :)

Thanks for the update, Dark_Lord_Erik!!!!

3. Charis

Charis Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 29, 2002
    Ta for the update :) I'm also looking forward to the Valentine's Day scheme.

4. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Thanks for the heads up.

As for manually deleting threads... does this go for threads that have been locked with the coming months? Or just problematic threads that weren't deleted?

5. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    It includes any threads that the moderators see are no longer of any use to the forum. If that includes threads that have been locked due to passing the 6 month barrier, then yes.

6. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Okay. Thanks, Kadue. :)

7. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    thank you very much. safe week to ya'all. :)

8. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Please, for the love of Gob, do not bring back that pink board color scheme for Valentine's Day.

9. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Get yourself a Pepto-Bismol bottle if you wish to get a preview of coming attractions.

10. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    Thanks for the update.

11. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I love the first 2-3 pages of a Mod Squad update. It truly is the calm before the storm. :)

12. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    There should be an Indy 4 section on TF.N's main site. If that happens, will spoilers be handled the same as Episode III?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    There should be an Indy 4 section on TF.N's main page. If that happens, will spoilers be handled the same as Episode III?

I'm going to guess that since the "Non-SW Spoilers" question has been asked/answered so many times the answer will be "No" in that everything will go in one Forum (a la Lit) but that threads can be marked "Spoilers" or "No Spoilers."

Anyone from LFP confirm/deny? :)

14. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    That's not what I asked. I'm talking about the main site. As far as the forum goes, there are already threads for spoilers and they're clearly marked. I should know since I did the index.

15. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    My guess is we wouldn't because we are only moderating Star Wars films, projects, literature, etc... for spoilers. We can't be responsible for everything outside of that.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That's not what I asked. I'm talking about the main site. As far as the forum goes, there are already threads for spoilers and they're clearly marked. I should know since I did the index.

Hurm. That's a good question. I can assume they won't put spoilers in the article titles anymore (like they learned with E3) but beyond that... is there a Carter or a Josh in the house who can answer that? :)

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    EDIT: Thanks for answering.

18. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    This issue has come up on occasion with LotR. If a message board dedicated to Indiana Jones were to release spoilers in a non-spoiler area of their forums, then that's an issue. But in terms of movie spoilers, we can only control Episode 3 spoilers. My feeling it is that it's an enter and read at your own risk site.

19. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    Good update. Can't see how farraday will find something here to question. :p

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    This issue has come up on occasion with LotR. If a message board dedicated to Indiana Jones were to release spoilers in a non-spoiler area of their forums, then that's an issue. But in terms of movie spoilers, we can only control Episode 3 spoilers. My feeling it is that it's an enter and read at your own risk site.

*sigh*

This has nothing to do with the JC. This is strictly a TF.N MAIN SITE question. I would appreciate an answer from a member of the TF.N staff.

21. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Good update. Can't see how farraday will find something here to question. :p

Oh ye of little faith. ;)

22. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm sure you will get a response from them. But I'm anticipating what they might say based on their input to threads in Mod Squad on similar topics.

23. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    good update...

very well done.

quick and precise to the point.

Much better than the others that I have read...and on an equal to the one that RMCOY did a few months ago. :D

24. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    <cracks knuckles>

;)

First, the manual deleting of threads, is this a sign that the once again IGN is asking us to cut down on our space? In short, what is the reason for it.

Second, while in discussion of reforming the reforms are the original reforms still in effect?

Third, how much longer til the poll in MS relating to how mods usage of the AC will be completed and the results released?

25. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Eh, the deletion of threads could be just to unclog the forums of a lot of locked threads from forums. I did it when I was a mod and I know you did, too, farrie. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.