main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Modsquad Update For October 24, 2003

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Genghis12, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    <marquee><blink><big><b>ModSquad Update ? October 24, 2003</b></big></blink></marquee>

We?ve All Been Treated? to New Mods
    As you?ve by no doubt seen these past few weeks, we?ve gotten a slew (yes, a ?slew?) of mods. The battle was hard fought, but in the end you should be happy to know that the Modsquad prevailed. The first to fall was Katya_Jade. Her alluring tricks and treats were almost too much for the JCC mods to handle. But, after the final offensive by AmazingB, Katya was subdued and pressed into service as our newest JCC mod. Unfortunately, AmazingB fell to the wayward shots of real life and has unfortunately passed on into the spiritrealm of Moderator Emeritus. Fear not, though. We expect him to return to haunt Comms with their scary posts like the other spooks who have passed on into the realm of Moderator Emeritus.

The Fan Art forum had its own casulties as Blackpool was felled by a dastardly crayon and spashes of india ink. After mourning our fallen comrade, it was Jedi-mind-trick who has taken up Blackpool?s Fan Art mantle with the help of Amidala_Skywalker.

The spirits were restless in the Costuming and Props forum. So, we called upon the services of exorcist, Obi-Dawn Kenobi to send them to their final peace. Errant_Venture was a bit more difficult to coerce. But, in the end, his defenses cracked and he fell to Dark Lady Mara as our new CT mod.

The new(t)est witch to join our dark cabal is the mistress of the night, Mistress_Renata. After much toil and trouble, Amidala_Skywalker cast a spell upon the Fanfiction forum to get her to join.

If you haven?t welcomed all our new mods, and mourned the passing of old ones, then go digging around the graveyard in Comms where you ought to find a post for each and every one of them.

Trapped Between the Living and the Unliving
    Bria has become trapped between worlds until December. She is not quite a regular user, but isn't a Moderator anymore. When she breaks free from the dark clutches of school, the ModSquad will help to call her spirit back to the realm of the moderators.

We?ve All Been Tricked?
    After casting a spell, Dark Lady Mara began discussion about possibly revising the way we do moderator nominations and voting.

In the end, it was thought best to leave it to the discretion of the individual forum moderators to put forth the best people for their forum when needed.

Spooky?
    jp-30 proposed an idea for helping to answer questions by users about the administration of this site. In the end, the Modsquad decided it was better to go with this one, instead.

Don?t Quote Me on That
    Dehrian raised the question of the acceptability of posting quotes containing inappropriate content. It was overwhelmingly agreed that quotations do not absolve a poster from making an inappropraite post.

Interview With A Vampire
    Errant_Venture raised the idea of trying to do some type of forum-based interviews with Star Wars movie VIP?s, in a similar manner to the types of interviews the Literature forum has with its author and artist VIP?s. The possibility exists that you may (?or may not) be seeing these types of things in the future.

A Lousy Apple!?! The Other People Are Giving Out Candy!
    Discussion about some sort of site-wide game/contest award policy was undertaken. In the end, it was felt that the best thing to do was leave it up to the individual forum moderators to handle.

Witches & Warlocks, Prepare Your Ingredients
    The Fan-fiction forum will be having a special, Halloween Fanfiction Competition.

And if you haven?t noticed by now? we have made a few adjustments on our appearance. Don't be afraid, this will last for the next week, through Halloween.

2. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    FIRST!

Sorry.. thought I was at AICN for a sec.

UKS

3. TwiLekSith

TwiLekSith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    almost no formatting and still no run-on-sentence-Update.... I'm starting to think you guys don't like me :(

4. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    LOL @ UKS. Is that net etiquette or what??

Oh, and I'd like to compliment the admins on one chage. Making the mod names bigger with a direct link to PM them in their respective forum. Simple, yet efficient.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    **** UKS. **** him up his stupid ***.

Oh, wait... you mean we're not mocking AICN like Jay and Silent Bob?!? :(

Again, apologies for not posting the update before this one.

6. TwiLekSith

TwiLekSith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    as if the "first!"-thing is exclusive to AICN only....

dp, you're forgiven :)
    *cleans nose*

7. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    sad to see we'll be losing bria's moderation in JCC for a while, but best of luck with school!

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    I just want to ask why does it say that Gandolf the Grey is no longer any Admin?

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    He's still an administrator. Just experiencing technical difficulties at the moment.

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Oh ok well if that was all then. Thanks. :)

11. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Congrats to the new mods. Do a good job.

Thank you and goodgnight.

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    We honor the memory of our fallen JCC leader, AmazingB.

13. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Tech admin experiencing technical difficulties, cute.

In the end, it was thought best to leave it to the discretion of the individual forum moderators to put forth the best people for their forum when needed.

I hate this, I really do. The same people (or groups, kinds, whatever clever phrasing you want) become mods every time because of this.

I think:

1) The MS needs to look at a broader base of users in choosing mods. They all tend to be clones of each other, especially lately (no offense to anyone, but it's been said by a lot more people than myself)

2) Either come up with nominees at large, or maybe have a panel of mods who is in charge of it.

References to Mod Squad threads and material is not allowed.

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    The key issue, IMO, for any new mod candidate is to satisfy the needs of the specific forum(s) he's going to be moderating before any broader bases need to be covered.

We ought to be satisfying the main reason to have a forum moderator first, before worrying about whether they may have similar styles to some other forums' moderator and what not.

Yeah, some diversity might be good. But not at the expense of any particular forum's needs.

While we've had "at-large" positions in the past (when the Modsquad was a lot smaller), I don't believe it's something which has much favor anymore under the current ModSquad.

15. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Totally random word of the day:

Main Entry: nep·o·tism
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French népotisme, from Italian nepotismo, from nepote nephew, from Latin nepot-, nepos grandson, nephew
    Date: 1670
    : favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
    - nep·o·tis·tic adjective

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm not related to anyone else on the boards! Woohoo!

17. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Jethro ... is that you? It's good ta see ya at the top. Ya ain't been by the trailer since Bubba got run over by the pickup and Cathy Sue got pregnant. Never mind, though, it dun got wiped out by a tornader last month.

Thanks for git'n me this job, by teh way.

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Why do you turn your back on your family, dp4m? I love you, mom loves you. What gives?

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    //sniff...

:_|

//sign-languages Sapient
    You complete me...

20. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Well, we are all brothers and sisters in God's way...

The only difference between you guys and me is that I have ten fingers and ten toes and a triple-digit IQ. [face_mischief] :p

21. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I also noticed Gandy is a 3SA mod? His name was listed at the top in that forum. Strange, there was nothing about it in here.

Any reason why he was given a third busy forum to oversee, and why wasnt someone new with a fresh view of things promoted?

22. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    The MS needs to look at a broader base of users in choosing mods. They all tend to be clones of each other

Well, so far as I'm concerned, if you happen to see the list of members I nominated, you'll find that they're anything but 'clones'. I look for different things in mod candidates than some other mods do.

And then we'll have a nice robust discussion as to the merits of each candidate, and decide on a short list. The candidates on said short list are rarely clones of the same type of member.

23. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    DarthDagsy: "The candidates on said short list are rarely clones of the same type of member."

Rarely?!?! :confused:

Just admit it! We're all clones of the almighty forum controllers! 8-}

24. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    The candidates on said short list are rarely clones of the same type of member.

Yeah, it's just a coincidence that Katya and AmazingB both post at the same off-JC message boards and happen to be friends :)

25. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I also noticed Gandy is a 3SA mod? His name was listed at the top in that forum. Strange, there was nothing about it in here.

Gandy just went straight to the appropriate 3SA moderators and asked if they would mind if he put his name up there, since he was doing some moderating in there lately. He's no afraid of being spoiled, and it's one more moderator that can be called upon in case of trolls. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.